ADVERTISEMENT

A public statement is a must... Right?

xtra12

Sophomore
Mar 18, 2007
So, it's been a rollercoaster for us all. It went from Mitrh is ticked and going to FINALLY move on.

Then it went to Mitch is going to DEMAND these changes if he stays and Cal better fire some people, and change his strategy, and have oversight or he's gone!

Now... it seems like without as much of a whimper. Cal's not going anywhere and it's business as usual.

I know it's not decided, and "there's still a meeting coming up", but realistically all signs point to that rug being lifted and sweeping happening.

My question for those on here more in the know or smarter on these things than I am is.. at this point if he does stay, there has to be a public statement about changes right? I mean they have to care about the fan base at least that much, wouldn't you think?

On one hand I think something like that HAS to happen if he does stay, on the other hand, Cal's arrogance would never allow him to do something like that.

How do you know it went from moving on from Cal, to demanding changes, to business as usual? I haven't seen anything that says anything has even remotely been decided yet.
No, I agree. Nothing has been decided. His radio show just acted like every one is moving on.

I'm holding out hope that a change is coming, but preparing myself for the fact that he'll be here unless we get a pleasant surprise.

Sadly I can't be one of those that says I'll never watch until he leaves. I can try, but no way I wouldn't turn it on. My love for the Cats go way beyond him, and I would just have to watch around him.

Reactions: Fox2monk
No, I agree. Nothing has been decided. His radio show just acted like every one is moving on.

I'm holding out hope that a change is coming, but preparing myself for the fact that he'll be here unless we get a pleasant surprise.

Sadly I can't be one of those that says I'll never watch until he leaves. I can try, but no way I wouldn't turn it on. My love for the Cats go way beyond him, and I would just have to watch around him.
I listened to a little bit of his radio show and saw some feedback from it. Fact is, Mitch and Cal hadn't even talked yet. Hell Cal wasn't even in Lexington. I don't think Cal going about his business is any indication of anything. I have no idea what's going to happen, but I just don't think him appearing on his radio show is a sign one way or another.

I can't imagine there won't be some press conference with Mitch and Cal at some point this week or next. I don't think just releasing a statement is dutiful to the situation.

I just see it as there had no been a meeting yet to discuss his future, so he did his radio show. I don't believe that gave anything away one way or another.
Use your brain. If you're considering firing a guy, do you let him delay your meeting, go on statewide radio and basically state he's the coach going forward, undermining your power and position... on the official university sponsored show, that Mitch could easily have shut down...

Then turn around two days later and fire him, thoroughly embarrassing him and upsetting the coaching community. All this from a hyper conservative AD.

The second he was allowed to speak, that was the statement.

i think cal being in n jersey doing his show by phone shows just how little he’s worried about anything.
university of cal
This is what I heard in his voice too when he said I look forward to hearing what Mitch has to say like I'm about to laugh in this stupid bitch's face that thinks he's my boss while I laugh to the bank and rub it in everybody's faces that I DID start underperformers knowing it could cost games.

Sorry folks, but if you're expecting anything to change next BB season, start making plans for what you want to do next March that doesn't include UKBB. JMO.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm expecting another Wash-Rinse-Repeat Calipari carnival show.

Reactions: blubo and struggler
yes there will have to be a public statement either way. Plus now that he has a new women’s coach I’d expect Mitch to say something before they hold a press conference for that.

Use your brain. If you're considering firing a guy, do you let him delay your meeting, go on statewide radio and basically state he's the coach going forward, undermining your power and position... on the official university sponsored show, that Mitch could easily have shut down...

Then turn around two days later and fire him, thoroughly embarrassing him and upsetting the coaching community. All this from a hyper conservative AD.

None of us know when a meeting was planned. Rumor said Monday, but might have been Tuesday all along.

I’m not saying he’s being fired, but I also don’t agree that life will go on as normal as the OP suggested. I still believe Mitch could put certain perimeters in play that Cal will not want and it could end that way.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
To be fair, the fans and media are the ones who are saying things like "Mitch is angry" and "Cal could be fired". There is NOTHING from the university to say otherwise.

Reactions: blubo
None of us know when a meeting was planned. Rumor said Monday, but might have been Tuesday all along.

I’m not saying he’s being fired, but I also don’t agree that life will go on as normal as the OP suggested. I still believe Mitch could put certain perimeters in play that Cal will not want and it could end that way.
Not Mitch's thing to publicly chastise an employee. Why would you do it anyway? It makes your decision and department look weak. High level athletic departments aren't run that way.

What if Ohio State came out and said "well, we really wish we could fire Ryan Day, but he's really the best we have available so we'll give him oooooneeeee more year with some changes."

What if they did that two days after he went on the university sponsored radio show talking about spring games, recruits, the fall schedule... No way dude.

Whatever was discussed likely has already been discussed once both sides knew the money involved was too much with no home run hire in place. I'd say it's far more likely we don't hear one word about things until portal/NBA announcements.

Reactions: struggler
IU fan here....very interesting dynamics going on with this thing at Kentucky. Cal had what appears to be a Freudian slip in his statement to the fans....three words popped out: "I'm not changing". Look it up if you need to. I just thought that was out of context. Anyway....if any coach is "too big to fail"...it appears its Calipari. Good luck in your journey.; We, at IU, of course are still wandering in the wilderness....after all these years.

He will be here next year....period. It is very possible you don't hear another word. Don't be surprised. Move on with spring and summer.
This. He isn’t/was never going to be fired. Matt Jones has turned this into a clickbait fest and $$$$. About same with every other media outlet. They all give statements on the situation which are vague and leave them an out for both scenarios.

Reactions: blubo
When Mitch let cal go on there for a hour and spew his bullshit that was the decision being made. Your not gonna fire a guy if you let him do that
The game ended Thursday night and Cal was headed to New Jersey for the weekend. I wouldn't expect an AD to can him over the weekend. It's not like when Gillispie's season ended on a Wednesday and he was canned on a Friday.

I think today is when the decision is made. Radio show was just Cal's propaganda before even talking with his boss.

Reactions: bigbluedon
IU fan here....very interesting dynamics going on with this thing at Kentucky. Cal had what appears to be a Freudian slip in his statement to the fans....three words popped out: "I'm not changing". Look it up if you need to. I just thought that was out of context. Anyway....if any coach is "too big to fail"...it appears its Calipari. Good luck in your journey.; We, at IU, of course are still wandering in the wilderness....after all these years.
We’ve entered the forest
Maybe we’ll see you somewhere down by the creek or something in about 3 more years after Cal finally fizzles completely out. Wow

The game ended Thursday night and Cal was headed to New Jersey for the weekend. I wouldn't expect an AD to can him over the weekend. It's not like when Gillispie's season ended on a Wednesday and he was canned on a Friday.

I think today is when the decision is made. Radio show was just Cal's propaganda before even talking with his boss.

Mitch would have to be insane to let Cal go on statewide, university sponsored radio and undermine his authority. Would never happen. The radio show was the statement.

Yes I agree and this has been reported already. The program did not want Cal to do the radio show last night, they wanted to have the meeting first. But Calipari did it anyway and it just goes to show the disconnect that is still there between Cal and Mitch. Cal will never change

Mitch would have to be insane to let Cal go on statewide, university sponsored radio and undermine his authority. Would never happen. The radio show was the statement.
It was reported the program did not want him to do the show and wanted the meeting first but Cal being Cal did it anyways and to me it sounded like a man pleading for his job to BBN and others who were listening

To be fair, the fans and media are the ones who are saying things like "Mitch is angry" and "Cal could be fired". There is NOTHING from the university to say otherwise.
Maybe not. But if Mitch is NOT angry, then he needs to go as well. It shows he doesn't understand the situation either. I'm not saying he won't still decide to keep Cal. But if he's not pissed at the results we're being given, he's the wrong man for his job.

If Mitch has yet to speak with Cal and make a decision, you let the man continue with his job until you say otherwise. Doing his radio show means nothing.

It was reported the program did not want him to do the show and wanted the meeting first but Cal being Cal did it anyways and to me it sounded like a man pleading for his job to BBN and others who were listening
And Mitch just sat there looking stupid? Athletic directors can wield power to shut stuff like that down until they make a decision. This implies the decision was already made, or that Mitch is the dumbest person alive.

And Mitch just sat there looking stupid? Athletic directors can wield power to shut stuff like that down until they make a decision. This implies the decision was already made, or that Mitch is the dumbest person alive.
It implies nothing. It just tells us that Mitch hasn't decided one way or another.

Reactions: KFuqua

Yes. Let the pompous a$$ make a fool out of himself again!

As long as butts are filling up Rupp, tickets are selling for pre/post season games and merch is coming off the shelves.....Barnhardt ain't doing sh**.
There has been no money lost yet.
Until the green coming in starts drying up faster than the green going out....we are stuck with a lazy has been.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
I don't agree with it. I think he should leave. But If you look at the logic of the situation, he was back the moment he was allowed to speak on the radio.
We'll just have to disagree on this one. Nothing he said on the radio changes anything. Not saying that Mitch isn't stupid enough to let him come back, but I don't think the show changed anything. It just helped show what a coward Cal is.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
As long as butts are filling up Rupp, tickets are selling for pre/post season games and merch is coming off the shelves.....Barnhardt ain't doing sh**.
There has been no money lost yet.
Until the green coming in starts drying up faster than the green going out....we are stuck with a lazy has been.

and it won't for a while. Football is better and more profitable than ever. That SEC TV money is huge, and only getting huger. Beer sales. Cal will age out long before they see an appreciable drop in money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT