ADVERTISEMENT

5 star kyle anderson 2012

I saw St Anthony's yesterday vs Friends Central(#1 team in PA?). 2nd time I've seen Kyle (see my Prospect at Hoophall thread). Met his mother and talked to her a little while. Kyle has always been a PG while "playing up" as he was younger. Grew 6" in 1 year and is now 6'9". I think he plays much like a point forward, but also a strong rebounder. No wasted effort. When he stops growing will have the need to get a stronger upper body. He appears a little bit slow, but his growth spurt probably contributed to that. Two good news and 1 bad news. Good news #1 - Kyle really likes Cal. Good news #2 - UK will probably be one of his 5 official visits. The bad news - his mom regularly reads CatsPause message boards!

This is the kid I want the most.

Perfect player for the DDMO.

At 6'8 or 6'9, I think he'll play the 3 and 4 spots for us.

I think he's going to be special.

I posted this info on Rupp Rafters, but thought it deserved to be on Recruiting board, too. My son attended the St Anthony's vs St Patrick's game last night and I asked him to give me his impressions of Kyle Anderson, since he is on UK's radar. I've been to 2 of Kyle's games and talked to his mother for quite a while at one game (she checks out these boards!). My son is 45, played H. S. basketball, and attends most of the Academy of New Church games (Rakeem Christmas, Savon Goodman, Malcolm Gilbert), the local high school in his area. He didn't realize that I would post this on CatsPause, so he is playing with a little poetic writing and stretching the Magic-Kyle comparison. Hope you find this interesting:

Watching Kyle Anderson tonight made me wonder just how good E.Magic Johnson may have looked as a junior in HS. I'm certain the lore would make this mention seem a stretch, but tonight I'm not so sure. Nor am i saying this guy will be anywhere near That Guy (caps for Magic) at any other point during his career. But I did just see #1 St Pats get handled by Hurleys men, with Kyle looking quite the leader.
First half pits him against the defensive efforts of Michael Gilchrist, you know, the best player on the court. Right? Not so fast. St Pats was stunned, mostly in the second half and Mike was largely a non factor on offense hitting an early 3, a pair of free throws and another FG which I dont seem to recall giving him 7 on the night. Gilchrist was stumped on 2 attempted laboring drives to the hoop from 20 some feet away which seemed forced. He also pumped up a pair of 3's that were as unpleasant as one could hardly imagine a UK bound senior could heave at a backboard.
Defensively Gilchrist seemed to hold his own in the first half as he matched up against the junior, hopefully also bound for UK, playing well against Anderson who worked his way well thru the lane to the basket. Kyle was unable to finish on a few solid moves thru the lane to the hoop as the ball seemed to just not want to go down for him. He clearly was able to decisively get his shot and was never thwarted in that attempt; the shots just didn't go and as I watched I mumbled to myself,"next year".
The second half where the Friars took the game away saw Kyle working more from the point dribbling to the free throw line, drawing pressure and making beautiful basketball passes to cutters who owe him their stats. Flashy but not flashy, you know? Just perfect, plain old basketball that loosens the roof for the final moments that were to come. He was clearly inspired, as was the entire Friars team, especially when compared to the Celtics who were #1 in the country until about half way thru the 3rd qtr tonight. St. A's out-hustled in near every situation- getting rebounds that could have been prevented and loose balls a plenty. Without the box score in front of me I'll guess 10 assists for Anderson. One pass was a 70ft + inbounds to a teammate who finished it with one dribble to the hoop in what was remeniscient of Lorenzen to Smith back at The Highlands playing hoop.
It wasn't that this kid put up 50 or had 3 ESPN dunks or fist pumps, others surely were involved. But at no point did it appear that anyone could really limit his intent on the floor. He doesn't have an Iverson cross over or miraculous foot speed or the flashy dribbling. He's not going Tyreke Evans in HS bombing 3's from the outside all night... but I'm kind of convinced right now that if he wants to add the big three shot to his game this summer then it will be so.What he did manage to do though was 'what he wanted to do'. He played rather mistake free ball and involved his teammates. He was a part of a team that just wrecked a Goliath season for St Pat's, not that Hurley's boys are ever David, that's for sure, But before this game happened I was pretty certain that I knew what was going to happen.... and I was wrong- very wrong.
To be in the building to watch coach Bob Hurley win this game for everyone he has touched was nothing short of an honor. And my heart goes out to St. Pats; they clearly meritted and deserved to win a game this big this season, but just not this one tonight.
As for Kyle Anderson I just kept thinking to myself who do you have to be to guard this guy? A 6'4" defensive minded gritty kid would find himself destroyed in the post all day or watch passes sail over and around his shorter self on the way to double digit assists. Anyone big enough to handle him close to the basket would probably find himself embarassed often when dragged to the twenty feet from the hoop range. "He's Magic" I finally riddled aloud to myself in the roaring crowd this night. Maybe not all the way Magic, but I can't wait to watch and see..."next year"?

Kyle Anderson is a Point Guard ... period. He'll never play any other position in college ... at U.K., or anywhere else.

Originally posted by Ripcord65:
Kyle Anderson is a Point Guard ... period. He'll never play any other position in college ... at U.K., or anywhere else.
Point forward, maybe. Point guard, never. He rarely plays PG in H S and I think he is too slow for PG in college. I have only been to 2 of his games, so maybe you have seen more often.

I was mistaken. Sorry.

And, on another note -- A big "hey" and a shout-out to Kyle's mamma. If she reads the CatsPause boards, I want her to know that we love her son ... even those of us who make stupid posts, sometimes !
This post was edited on 3/11 7:17 PM by Ripcord65

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT