ADVERTISEMENT

4th of july ain't about the troops

Nobody is dying for a message board fool...but some would put themselves in harms way for others....whether in war or in the face of some crazed active shooter. It's about being part of something bigger than yourself... I don't care about your race or who you prefer to screw....you be about you, I'll be about something more

Reactions: homeytheclown
While at work today - learning about some near sci-fi shit that's apparently real

I thought about this site and all you jugheads (jarheads too admittedly) -- I guess I missed you.....

even though this place smells like Robitussin and stale gin

I guess I need to think of something to post now......

No doubt

Probably had something to do with them believing that there were more important things about our nation than what people do wth their genitalia in their free time

In this specific case the "other thing" that was being referenced was veterans health (ALL Vets) and the fact that there is an enormous disparity in their health, their care and their families lives

So - my last word on the military thing (for now anyway)
The trend after 9/11 was initially predictable but eventually led us into a very strange and disturbing place where the military was constantly deploying to fight a war that has no clear scope, no end in sight, and no POSSIBLE chance of our "winning" it

Regardless of whether it would be someone from the D or R party
I'd REALLY like to see a CINC take office (or perhaps Trump will do it before he'd done?) --- and declare an END to the GWOT

I think the speech should be at the UN Gen Assy and it could be accompanied with SOME degree of drawdown in Saudi and a few other places

A tip of the hat to reality
A break for those who are bearing the burden of an unwinnable war --
And perhaps even a modest overture of peace towards Islam

That gesture should be accompanied with a clear message that we will respond with overwhelmling force if our allies are attacked or another 9/11 occurs

.....it's a start

and now I'm thirsty

Reactions: homeytheclown
every year i see on the facebook people thanking the troops for the 4th of july. folks i am here to tell ya that this one ain't about the troops. they get memorial day, veterans day and for some dumb reason even labor day now. this one belongs to the rest of us beer drinking freedom loving real americans. hard working men and sometimes women who need a damn day off without being guilted into thanking the troops every time we switch on the internet. if you wanna get right down to it we might as well be thanking rich old white dudes who were just fed up paying a lot of taxes back in the 1700s. if you don't like it you can get out.

Hey Johnny cope are ye walking yet,
and are yer drums beating yet?

practicing-their-mardi-gras-lean-postures-photo-u1

I’d like to thank scienctists that created nukes to prevent another military from even considering an attack and all the technology (guns, tanks etc..) that allows volunteers seeking free tuition to protect Merica.

I'm not going to get ass hurt over an anti-military idiot voicing his opinion. So don't get pissed off when I and all my fellow veterans come take a piss & shit on your grave some day. Just as you have no respect for the troops, it works both ways.

Last edited:
Yes, America was the first true democracy in history, and was formed not by a military takeover, but by political will power of a people who wanted self determination, led by a rare combination of brilliant statesmen, very seldom ever seen in one place at one time, before or since.

That being said, the troops have protected us for 240 years or so, so I will be grateful to them as well as the Declaration of Independence.

History trivia, IIRC, I read that about 1/3 of the country did not want to secede from England, thought it was a crazy idea as well as treasonous.

The off spring of that 1/3 are still with us. They are labeled the extreme left.

• Haha
Reactions: kyeric
Yes, America was the first true democracy in history, and was formed not by a military takeover, but by political will power of a people who wanted self determination, led by a rare combination of brilliant statesmen, very seldom ever seen in one place at one time, before or since.

That being said, the troops have protected us for 240 years or so, so I will be grateful to them as well as the Declaration of Independence.

History trivia, IIRC, I read that about 1/3 of the country did not want to secede from England, thought it was a crazy idea as well as treasonous.
Some points, R/W:
- We're a representative republic, not a democracy.
- How was Athens/Greece not the first true democracy, maybe the only one? Wasn't that where we sorta got the idea from?
- Colonies were never part of England to secede from; i.e., couldn't vote, didn't have reps in Parliament. They were just a property of England. Less than Guam or Samoa.

What does it hurt us or cost us to be grateful and respectful to a vet or policeman? If we are grateful 365 days a year, what's the big deal? Vets didn't just pick certain days of the year to serve.

Reactions: BBUK
Except Tuesday, you should think the old white dudes with wigs
Old dudes with Wigs got it started, Our Troops have defended it and kept it that way, so I'll thank them anyway, while I eat burgers, brats and blow things up in the sky.

Old dudes with Wigs got it started, Our Troops have defended it and kept it that way, so I'll thank them anyway, while I eat burgers, brats and blow things up in the sky.

The founders weren’t very old in 1776. We tend to think of them as older from later portraits of them. Thomas Jefferson, for example, was 33 years old. James Madison just 25. Thomas Paine 39. John Adams 40. Washington 44.

Reactions: kyeric

America has always had 30% of It’s population stupid and selfish.

you probably thought i forgot. i’m bumping this baby until kingdom come. have a great fourth y’all. i’ll be spending the day in the thoughts and dreams of your wives and significant others.

Being an American means any Holiday you care to name can be about whatever TF you WANT it to be about. That’s the fu**ing point

No need to get all whiney about it.

The founders weren’t very old in 1776. We tend to think of them as older from later portraits of them. Thomas Jefferson, for example, was 33 years old. James Madison just 25. Thomas Paine 39. John Adams 40. Washington 44.
Bunch of wig-wearin' weirdos, really. Just some cowboys spaced out on all their purgatives, emetics, opium, cinchona bark, camphor, potassium nitrate, and mercury. They really thought they could get away with it... SMH

Frankly, I’ve never had to be “guilted into thanking the troops.”
As a Veteran I feel strange when people thank me for my service. I served over 50 years ago and I am still kicking. I didn't get a scratch but a lot of my friends didn't make it.

All of my thoughts and thanks go to them. When some one does thank me, I respond I appreciate it but in my mind I am thinking of my childhood friends who never saw their 21st birthday.

I respond I appreciate it but in my mind I am thinking of my childhood friends who never saw their 21st birthday.
I once argued with a teacher about the use of the atomic bombs: she decried the loss of innocent life.

Yes, innocents died. But were my mother’s brothers or my father (all barely 20 years old,) “guilty?” I don’t think so.

I had a good friend who lucked into the mere occupation of Japan, narrowly missing combat, because of his relative youth. He befriended an 8 year old, who took him one day to the nearest beach from his village. He showed him a Fox hole, where the 8 year old was to be the 17th defender . . . with a bamboo spear as a weapon.

Reactions: warrior-cat
“History trivia, IIRC, I read that about 1/3 of the country did not want to secede from England, thought it was a crazy idea as well as treasonous.”

Today, after reading the Declaration of Independence, the local Mayor has asked me to read a portion of the names of Revolutionary War soldiers buried in our county . . . the portion I read includes my Great-Great-Great grandfather, who moved to Kentucky in 1808, in his 50’s.

Regarding those who opposed the Revolution, 50,000 are estimated to have left for Canada and the UK; one was Benjamin Franklin’s only son.

Years ago, I read an amazing statistic; like 80 percent of Revolutionary soldiers (almost all of whom grew up w/i 100 miles of the coast) died West of the Appalachian mountains.

Years ago, I read an amazing statistic; like 80 percent of Revolutionary soldiers (almost all of whom grew up w/i 100 miles of the coast) died West of the Appalachian mountains.
Here’s an article on the subject of Revolutionary Soldier’s mobility. It doesn’t give a percentage who died West of the divide, but does give a cool quote from de Tocqueville regarding American restlessness.

“An American will build a house in which to pass his old age and sell it before the roof is on; he will plant a garden and rent it just as the trees are coming into bearing; he will clear a field and leave others to reap the harvest; he will take up a profession and leave it, settle in one place and soon go off elsewhere with his changing desires.”
Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1984/fall/pension-mobility.html

Here’s an article on the subject of Revolutionary Soldier’s mobility. It doesn’t give a percentage who died West of the divide, but does give a cool quote from de Tocqueville regarding American restlessness.

“An American will build a house in which to pass his old age and sell it before the roof is on; he will plant a garden and rent it just as the trees are coming into bearing; he will clear a field and leave others to reap the harvest; he will take up a profession and leave it, settle in one place and soon go off elsewhere with his changing desires.”
Alexis de Tocqueville, 1835

https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1984/fall/pension-mobility.html
KY was settled largely by the second and younger sons of Virginia. The oldest males inherited everything. Families were bigger so with 5 boys, 4 go west.

As I researched my ancestors I found those who served in the Revolutionary War often received land grants from the new government because of a lack of funds to pay them.

On dad's side, I had ancestors from South Carolina who relocated in Georgia, Virginia (now West Virginia and Kentucky. On mother's side they relocated from North Carolina to Georgia and the next generation went into Florida (1807).

They all stayed East of the Mississippi but several of the next generations ended up in Texas around 1845. All of those who moved were homesteaders who were given the land with the requirement they farm it and develop it.

The government continued granting land for homesteads and my g-grandpa received a nice portion of land in Clearwater, Florida. Years ago I ordered a document from the Department of Interior of the exact copy of his homestead. It was signed by President Chester A. Arthur, dated 1883. He relocated from Madison, FL. which borders the Georgia line. His father was in the Revolutionary War. He grew cotton and later citrus when the railroad came through. Now that land is residential and commercial. Not an orange tree left.

I am a member of the SAR

Last edited:
Being an American means any Holiday you care to name can be about whatever TF you WANT it to be about. That’s the fu**ing point

No need to get all whiney about it.

And so, today we shall celebrate the day that jesus sewed the first US flag and wrote the second amendment. Celebrations will include the wearing of green clothing, eating chocolate bunnies, and putting roasted turkeys into stockings and hanging them on the mantle, later to be gifted to our loved ones.

Shalom!

Reactions: funKYcat75
USMC Veteran, was lucky to survive 2 combat tours in Iraq, and I've never tried to make any of the holidays about myself...in fact, it's fairly awkward for me to receive thanks for volunteering to do something and doing my job.

However, for those people who do go out of their way to give a simple thanks for someone's service, it does mean a lot to those who may be struggling. Anytime I see a someone wearing a hat or has a license plate indicating their service, I thank them for their contribution if I have a chance to do so.

Veterans make up for around 24% of the homeless population, yet only around 1% of the population are Vets.
As a vet, It's also difficult/awkward for me to accept thanks. It almost makes me feel guilty. I not only came back from Viet Nam, I came back alive with all my body parts. Some did not.

Reactions: jcrow10
KY was settled largely by the second and younger sons of Virginia. The oldest males inherited everything. Families were bigger so with 5 boys, 4 go west.
Jefferson led the movement to abolish the “fee tail” or a perpetual grant of land rights in Virginia, during the American Revolution.

Throughout England’s post-Norman history, at least 70 percent of land was granted many generations prior, most by fee-tail-male, and some by fee-tail-female. The fee-tail-male was created by a Will “granting unto my eldest male heir, and thence his eldest male heir In perpetuity all my land . . . .

It was copied in America until Virginia and all states passed Jefferson’s “Rule Against Perpetuities.”

Ironically, Jefferson had been the beneficiary of being the eldest male heir, of the eldest male heir . . . , and so in, for several generations. He inherited thousands of acres, and had second and third cousins living in comparative poverty on the periphery of his massive holdings.

He realized the folly of the system, in part, by observing the comparative efficiency of Virginia’s German settlers; unlike their “English-like-gentleman” counterparts, the German descendants farmed generally squared farms with 200 to 400 acres, dividing the land into crop, hay, and pasture, and annually rotating the uses to build soil quality, and battle plant/animal disease.

Jefferson and many “English” planters raised tobacco annually on the same soil, until the soil was exhausted (from lack of nitrogen, potassium and phosphate, primarily . . . a.k.a. 10-10-10 fertilizer at your local Southern States).

Jefferson’s most famous quote regarding freeing the land from the desires of long-deceased ancestors actually came in 1789, about 12 years after Virginia eliminated the fee-tail:

“It was about this time that he was also seized by an idea that exerted a compelling influence over him for the remainder of his life. This was the belief that ‘the earth belongs in usufruct to the living,’ the dead having neither rights nor powers over it.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT