ADVERTISEMENT

4th of july ain't about the troops

Jul 8, 2016
Mansion
every year i see on the facebook people thanking the troops for the 4th of july. folks i am here to tell ya that this one ain't about the troops. they get memorial day, veterans day and for some dumb reason even labor day now. this one belongs to the rest of us beer drinking freedom loving real americans. hard working men and sometimes women who need a damn day off without being guilted into thanking the troops every time we switch on the internet. if you wanna get right down to it we might as well be thanking rich old white dudes who were just fed up paying a lot of taxes back in the 1700s. if you don't like it you can get out.

every year i see on the facebook people thanking the troops for the 4th of july. folks i am here to tell ya that this one ain't about the troops. they get memorial day, veterans day and for some dumb reason even labor day now. this one belongs to the rest of us beer drinking freedom loving real americans. hard working men and sometimes women who need a damn day off without being guilted into thanking the troops every time we switch on the internet. if you wanna get right down to it we might as well be thanking rich old white dudes who were just fed up paying a lot of taxes back in the 1700s. if you don't like it you can get out.
I don't disagree with with most of this except the real Americans point. What am I then?

Yes, America was the first true democracy in history, and was formed not by a military takeover, but by political will power of a people who wanted self determination, led by a rare combination of brilliant statesmen, very seldom ever seen in one place at one time, before or since.

That being said, the troops have protected us for 240 years or so, so I will be grateful to them as well as the Declaration of Independence.

History trivia, IIRC, I read that about 1/3 of the country did not want to secede from England, thought it was a crazy idea as well as treasonous.

The troops are the last group cynical America can hate on, and I'm totally in agreement of that premise.

But the "Just so you know, Memorial Day isn't about 3-day weekends and BBQs" crowd is really annoying the last few years. The same ones always post that crap. And funny enough it never seems to be the ones that actually served.. it's some chick who habitually dates army guys or some cousin who likes to tell 2nd hand stories of war time..

[roll]

I don't know what is more unintentionally stupid: "sometimes women" or having to "switch on" the Internet. Please go back to whatever decade you crawled out of.

CJUJ0q2_d.jpg

independence-day-meme-2.jpg

Yes, America was the first true democracy in history, and was formed not by a military takeover, but by political will power of a people who wanted self determination, led by a rare combination of brilliant statesmen, very seldom ever seen in one place at one time, before or since.

That being said, the troops have protected us for 240 years or so, so I will be grateful to them as well as the Declaration of Independence.

History trivia, IIRC, I read that about 1/3 of the country did not want to secede from England, thought it was a crazy idea as well as treasonous.
America is not now and never has been a democracy.

USMC Veteran, was lucky to survive 2 combat tours in Iraq, and I've never tried to make any of the holidays about myself...in fact, it's fairly awkward for me to receive thanks for volunteering to do something and doing my job.

However, for those people who do go out of their way to give a simple thanks for someone's service, it does mean a lot to those who may be struggling. Anytime I see a someone wearing a hat or has a license plate indicating their service, I thank them for their contribution if I have a chance to do so.

Veterans make up for around 24% of the homeless population, yet only around 1% of the population are Vets.

Last edited:
No veterans, no Fourth... We'd be speaking some other language and living a completely different life. Those who never served can't understand what it means to be a true patriot. I'm proud to have served and honor all others who did. F politics.....love your country and thank those who defend it. Nothing we have is ours by right....it must be defended to be sustained

USMC Veteran, was lucky to survive 2 combat tours in Iraq, and I've never tried to make any of the holidays about myself...in fact, it's fairly awkward for me to receive thanks for volunteering to do something and doing my job.

However, for those people who do go out of their way to give a simple thanks for someone's service, it does mean a lot to those who may be struggling. Anytime I see a someone wearing a hat or has a license plate indicating their service, I thank them for their contribution if I have a chance to do so.

Veterans make up for around 24% of the homeless population, yet only around 1% of the population are Vets.

Thank you for serving.

And it's criminal the way our government - BOTH SIDES - treats our veterans after they've used them for all they can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT