ADVERTISEMENT

2015 scrimmage write up via seaofblue

Jakarii

Senior
Jan 29, 2016
Utah
  • Early in the game, Isaiah Briscoe was the star. He was the point guard of the blue team in the first half, which consisted of Briscoe, Isaac Humphries, Alex Poythress, Jamal Murray, and Derek Willis. Briscoe showed his ability to drive to the basket with authority, score, or dish to the open man. He finished with 16 points and 5 assists.
  • Derek Willis hit the game's first shot, which was a three assisted by Briscoe, and I thought for the first time in his career at Kentucky, he looked like he belonged on the floor. Willis looked confident in his shot and was as quick and athletic as I can recall. Willis really showed me something.
  • Tyler Ulis led the white team in the first half, which consisted of Ulis, Skal Labisierre, Mychal Mulder, Marcus Lee, and Charles Matthews. Tyler did his thing, which was break down the defense and make the best possible decision, whether it was a shot or a pass. Ulis played the pick and roll to perfection and we will be seeing more of that as the season goes on. He had 10 points and 15 assists.
  • After a slow start. we all saw why Skal Labisierre is considered to be a contender for the top pick in the NBA draft in 2016. He is smooth on offense, is quick off the floor for a lob, and can shut down the middle on defense. I was extremely impressed with his shot-blocking instincts. He needs to develop a little better in the post and not fall in love with his jump shot too much, but the sky is the limit for this kid.
  • How about that game from Alex Poythress? He showed no hesitation concerning his left knee. He was aggressive towards the basket and made a couple of wow plays on defense. He went 3-4 from the three-point line, which was extremely impressive. He can do some major damage by luring opposing power forwards to the perimeter and burning them on that shot. For my money,he was the most complete player on the team.
  • Jamal Murray was consistent and you could see how good he is going to be offensively. He has a smooth delivery and his glide toward the basket is about as pretty as it gets. I think he is still trying to figure out his role on the team, especially when he is with Ulis and Briscoe. Playing small forward is something knew to him.
  • Marcus Lee had a nice game and showcased some moves with the ball that we haven't seen before. He looked more comfortable with the ball in his hands and didn't shy away from making moves on his own. Poythress bullied him a little bit on the post, but I think Alex is going to bully a lot of guys down there. Major positives from Lee.
  • Mychal Mulder has a great three-point jumper and will be dangerous when he gets into a groove.
  • Isaac Humphries again impressed and showed that while he's the youngest guy on the team, he doesn't lack for skill. He is a very good passer for a seven-footer, and his jump shot is automatic. Playing against Skal at practice is only going to make him better. But his skills are beyond his years.
  • Charles Matthews is a damn fine basketball player. He ran the point a bit in the second half as the teams switched it up a bit. His shot isn't consistent yet, but it's there. He is extremely athletic and he is high energy all the time I really like this kid.
  • One thing that struck me was how hard everyone played. I didn't feel like I was watching a scrimmage game. They were serious about playing as if every guy knew he was competing for a spot, which I think is true. There wasn't a lot of goofing around and laughing, which is normally what you see at these things.
  • That press with the three guard line-up is going to kill teams with this new 30-second shot clock. Murray, Ulis, and Briscoe caused havoc all over the court.
  • How does John Calipari get these young guys to bust their tails on defense like he does every single season?
We will see more on Monday in their first exhibition game, but overall Big Blue Nation should be very excited about what they saw tonight. This is going to be a fast a furious team that's all business. John Calipari says that he is only going to play six or seven guys, but I don't see how that's possible. This team is full of playmakers that deserve to see the court.
But this isn't Communism and we ain't platooning.
Go Cats.

OP is basically comparing apples to oranges.
Nothing to see here people ...move along...

Seriously though, I get it, nice write up after the BWG last yr and the team fell woefully short of expectations throughout the season.

Just don't see that happening this yr after what I saw last night but I guess you never truely know.

The point is not to go overboard. This doesn't apply to everyone just those going over board based on a scrimmage. The potential is great but don't set you're self up thinking everything is written in stone based off the scrimmage. I see it every year and then after a loss those same people lose their minds.

It's pretty standard that the higher ranked guys tend to live up to expectations but the others tend to get overrated by some fans based on the scrimmage . This post is more so for the people going overboard with things

The scrimmages fit in the apples category and the real games go into the oranges basket

The point is you always act like you are a fan of the game and at least interested by UK. The truth is you get off on posting with a subtle hint of negativity. You are a troll and let everyone else enjoy being swept up in the joy of watching THEIR TEAM. Yes you will always have someone go overboard, but it was the most action we have seen of this team yet and people are pumped. Every time I see your post you act like you are riding the fence but make sure to have a negative spin on something.

Actually it's not that far off.

The problem was Skal and other bigs didn't progress during the season. There are few points that does make me go "?", like Charles Mathew comment. I thought he was much more passive in that game, but i don't remember that game.

Obviously our natural reaction is of excitement and you being a Duke fan want to temper it, since you are scared out of your minds.

Our backcourt of Ulis, Murray, and Briscoe alone made that team have top 5 offensive efficiency.

Had Skal focused on himself getting better and worked his ass off, that top statement wouldn't have been that bad, but he never progressed.

The point is not to go overboard. This doesn't apply to everyone just those going over board based on a scrimmage. The potential is great but don't set you're self up thinking everything is written in stone based off the scrimmage. I see it every year and then after a loss those same people lose their minds.

It's pretty standard that the higher ranked guys tend to live up to expectations but the others tend to get overrated by some fans based on the scrimmage . This post is more so for the people going overboard with things

The scrimmages fit in the apples category and the real games go into the oranges basket
Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Aike
Think what you like. I post good as well as negative. You not liking what I post or calling names when it doesn't fit what you like makes no difference to me:)

The point is you always act like you are a fan of the game and at least interested by UK. The truth is you get off on posting with a subtle hint of negativity. You are a troll and let everyone else enjoy being swept up in the joy of watching THEIR TEAM. Yes you will always have someone go overboard, but it was the most action we have seen of this team yet and people are pumped. Every time I see your post you act like you are riding the fence but make sure to have a negative spin on something.

Except I'm a Calipari fan (ever since he recruited my brother to UMass and who he still is gracious to when they cross paths) and a Maryland fan (being a Duke and Maryland fan would be like mixing water and oil). So in reality I've been a fan of Cal probably back when you and others were calling him a cheat

Actually it's not that far off.

The problem was Skal and other bigs didn't progress during the season. There are few points that does make me go "?", like Charles Mathew comment. I thought he was much more passive in that game, but i don't remember that game.

Obviously our natural reaction is of excitement and you being a Duke fan want to temper it, since you are scared out of your minds.

Our backcourt of Ulis, Murray, and Briscoe alone made that team have top 5 offensive efficiency.

Had Skal focused on himself getting better and worked his ass off, that top statement wouldn't have been that bad, but he never progressed.

To be fair, people tend to overrate the 8th, 9th, and 10th guys on the roster after a scrimmage.

But we saw enough from the top players last night to feel pretty good.

And it isn't like we haven't seen a lot from these guys in other settings and on film. There's nothing far-fetched about anticipating great seasons out of Fox and Monk, for instance.

Arguing that Mulder will play major minutes, on the other hand, requires some support. Only so many minutes to go around.

As for last year, it's not like that was a bad team. Ulis and Murray were All-American. At times we looked like a top 5 team.

More things went right than wrong last year. We were one consistent inside player away from being competitive for a Final Four.

Yeah i watched the blue white game last year and was excited but not nearly to the extent I was last night. So not sure what you are getting at. Bam will not be Skal all over again and therein was the problem on last years team. When Skal or our front court played well we looked really good. Just dont see any similarities between the two teams.

The best thing that could have happened to last years team would have been for Skal to be declared ineligible before he ever set foot on campus. Nipped in the bud.

Reactions: WildMoon
Ummmmmmmmmmmm no crap. We're all excited but we know we wont know for sure until we play another D1 team and see how our guys react to adversity. Its not like we forgot about Skal in just a few months. I know we have some idiots in our fan base but most people learned a lesson.

Agreed

To be fair, people tend to overrate the 8th, 9th, and 10th guys on the roster after a scrimmage.

And it isn't like we haven't seen a lot from these guys in other settings and on film. There's nothing far-fetched about anticipating great seasons out of Fox and Monk, for instance.

Arguing that Mulder will play major minutes, on the other hand, requires some support. Only so many minutes to go around.

As for last year, it's not like that was a bad team. Ulis and Murray were All-American. At times we looked like a top 5 team.

More things went right than wrong last year. We were one consistent inside player away from being competitive for a Final Four.

Reactions: Aike

And in reality we were only a fair seed away from going to the sweet 16.

Reactions: WildMoon and Aike
In other words none of us know anything about our team and are just drinking the Blueaid. Additionally, we haven't nearly the intelligence of Jackoffrii so we can't see that we are right to be excited about one of the best back courts in the country. I apologize for being optimistic on my own message board. I think I'll go eat worms.

Think what you like. I post good as well as negative. You not liking what I post or calling names when it doesn't fit what you like makes no difference to me:)

Your sole purpose here on this message board is to play the contrarian angle and tell UK fans why most of us are wrong in our views.

Don’t play the martyr when people call your smug drivel out for what it is.

Here's my opinion.

#1 This is a UK basketball message board. We are supposed to be excited about UK basketball. We don't need anyone tempering our enthusiasm.

#2 I like being optimistic about the team and many others do as well. But hey, every party has a pooper, that's why we invited you. Party pooper.

#3 Believe it or not, we can handle it when things don't turn out as wonderful as we hoped they would. We're mostly adults here. Those who get overly depressed and angry when the team doesn't go undefeated are a small percentage.

#4 There is much reason for optimism this season. We will miss Tyler Ulis' playmaking and we will miss Jamal Murray's scoring, but our bigs are better across the board and our guards are bigger, quicker, and more athletic. The perceived weakness of this team, outside shooting, looks like it may not be as weak as some first thought.

So, thanks for pouring a cold bucket of water on our enthusiasm and expectations, but feel free to keep that to yourself next time around. For my part, I'll continue seeing the cup as half full until I'm forced to see it otherwise. It's called being a fan. :smiley:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT