ADVERTISEMENT

Will Oscar Tshiebwe Jersey be hung in the Rafters?

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
I believe Oscar is deserving to be in the Rafters but also Anthony Davis as well. We need to change the pre-requisite rule of having a degree to qualify. It's now an outdated rule that should be removed. Thoughts?

I'm all for adding names to the rafters, as long as we don't go overboard. It should be very difficult to achieve that honor.

But I wish we could get some of the deserving old-timers up there first.

Also, a Player of the Year should immediately receive the honor upon graduation or leaving for the NBA...assuming they've not been in any trouble that could tarnish the honor.

I'm all for adding names to the rafters, as long as we don't go overboard. It should be very difficult to achieve that honor.

Also, a Player of the Year should immediately receive the honor upon graduation or leaving for the NBA...assuming they've not been in any trouble that could tarnish the honor.

What old timers are you thinking of?

Agree 1000000% on POTY going up after they leave. First Team All Americans maybe as well

Reactions: GGary
How long are you thinking for Oscar? He did sweep every award last year. He seems to be a no brainer for me. Are you thinking 5 years removed once he leaves the university?

The only way I would even consider having him up there inside of ten years would be if we won #9 with him. Then he’d have the kind of career where it would make sense to honor him in a special way.

Reactions: deep3 and sosoblue
Mel Turpin
Jeff Sheppard
Tayshaun Prince
Keith Bogans
Anthony Davis
Tyler Ulis
Oscar Tshiebwe

In that order. And yes I know people will slam
Me for having Shep in there, but he was MOP of the final four. Every other dude who has won that at UK has a jersey in the rafters.

And if you want to challenge any of those other names I will provide stats/achievements to back them up. They are ALL deserving.

Reactions: deep3
The UK basketball museum used to have the full-size cut-outs with all the players that were All-Americans - Mercer, Prince, Bogans should be thought of as well.

Mel Turpin
Jeff Sheppard
Tayshaun Prince
Keith Bogans
Anthony Davis
Tyler Ulis
Oscar Tshiebwe

In that order. And yes I know people will slam
Me for having Shep in there, but he was MOP of the final four. Every other dude who has won that at UK has a jersey in the rafters.

And if you want to challenge any of those other names I will provide stats/achievements to back them up. They are ALL deserving.

I love Ulis as much as anyone but he doesn’t deserve the rafters. Only Cal players that deserve that are Oscar and AD.

How long are you thinking for Oscar? He did sweep every award last year. He seems to be a no brainer for me. Are you thinking 5 years removed once he leaves the university?
Rules state that he has to wait 5 years to be inducted into the UK athletic HOF and 10 years until his Jersey can be hung at Rupp.

Reactions: University-6
I believe Oscar is deserving to be in the Rafters but also Anthony Davis as well. We need to change the pre-requisite rule of having a degree to qualify. It's now an outdated rule that should be removed. Thoughts?

Let the fans vote, see the overwhelming love for Oscar.

On the surface… yes, a jersey should be hung in his honor. He was a NPOY and also likely a first Team AA repeat. That’s really hard to do. He also was a model citizen and inspirational off the court representing UK in such a good light.

What’s unfortunate is if he doesn’t have something team wise to go with it. Most of the jerseys that hang are associated with some kind of championship. Whether SEC regular season title, SEC tourney title or NCAA title. Sometimes 2/3 or even all 3.

Oscar is currently 0/4 in that department. Only 2 opportunities left. I really hope he gets both that remain. I’d take a SEC tourney title as a major team feat during this stretch of elevated conference replay. SEC is really tough now!

He deserves to be a part of some kind of championship!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I'd really like to see Oscar lead us to a championship. Or at least the final four. Then he joins Davis.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
What’s unfortunate is if he doesn’t have something team wise to go with it. Most of the jerseys that hang are associated with some kind of championship. Whether SEC regular season title, SEC tourney title or NCAA title. Sometimes 2/3 or even all 3.

There are a lot of players in the rafters without some team hardware, at least NCAA Final Four and more. For instance, Mike Pratt was one. Many from the pre-1950 era like Hayden, Carey, Spicer, Rouse...Then a bunch from 52 until 58 like Rose, Evans, Bird, Grawemeyer, and Burrow. Finally, there's the unforgettables. I'd say nearly half don't hold up to well to our modern standards.

On the surface… yes, a jersey should be hung in his honor. He was a NPOY and also likely a first Team AA repeat. That’s really hard to do. He also was a model citizen and inspirational off the court representing UK in such a good light.

Oscar is currently 0/4 in that department. Only 2 opportunities left. I really hope he gets both that remain. I’d take a SEC tourney title as a major team feat during this stretch of elevated conference replay. SEC is really tough now!

He deserves to be a part of some kind of championship!
He’s the only player in UK history to sweep the NPOY awards. There is zero debate that he belongs up there, regardless of team success.

Reactions: UkMccurdy and Wonky
Yes it definitely should. First ever consensus national player of the year iirc. The only question is when.

Will they do it tomorrow? If so, I think it would be a tad much, but also hard to argue.

I love Ulis as much as anyone but he doesn’t deserve the rafters. Only Cal players that deserve that are Oscar and AD.

Consensus 1st Team All-American
SEC Player of the Year (AP & Coaches)
SEC Defensive Player of the Year
SEC Tournament MVP
Bob Cousy Award
All-time single-season UK assist leader
10th all-time in career assists in only 2 seasons
7th all-time in career FT %

This is a better resume than many that are up there.

Reactions: bthaunert
There are a lot of players in the rafters without some team hardware, at least NCAA Final Four and more. For instance, Mike Pratt was one. Many from the pre-1950 era like Hayden, Carey, Spicer, Rouse...Then a bunch from 52 until 58 like Rose, Evans, Bird, Grawemeyer, and Burrow. Finally, there's the unforgettables. I'd say nearly half don't hold up to well to our modern standards.
That’s why I added the regular sec titles and sec tourney titles.
He’s the only player in UK history to sweep the NPOY awards. There is zero debate that he belongs up there, regardless of team success.
I was saying more that it’s a bummer he didn’t accomplish something big team wise so far.

He deserves to be up there regardless.

I just want something to see some kind of championship to tie to his time here. That’s all!

Reactions: bevcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT