ADVERTISEMENT

Who has completely changed the way they coach/work in their 60s?

Ron Mehico

All-American
Jan 4, 2008
I keep seeing people say Cal doesn’t care/is lazy. I don’t think someone that yells maniacally like he does or recruits like he does is lazy or doesn’t care. He’s 63. If he had a normal job he’d be winding down, ready to retire in a couple years, and not really transforming his entire approach to work. What coaches have totally changed their approach in their mid 60s? K adopting the one and done maybe? Roy Williams didn’t and basically just retired a couple years ago. How realistic is it to expect someone to completely change at 63? I can tell you right now my ass will be long retired lol.

I keep seeing people say Cal doesn’t care/is lazy. I don’t think someone that yells maniacally like he does or recruits like he does is lazy or doesn’t care. He’s 63. If he had a normal job he’d be winding down, ready to retire in a couple years, and not really transforming his entire approach to work. What coaches have totally changed their approach in their mid 60s? K adopting the one and done maybe? Roy Williams didn’t and basically just retired a couple years ago. How realistic is it to expect someone to completely change at 63? I can tell you right now my ass will be long retired lol.
K

Nick Saban. Any other brain busters?

Adapt or die

Right - one college football coach. Anyone else? What I’m saying is it seems the game has passed him by and how realistic is it to expect a change. It happens, and I’m just not optimistic he’s somehow going to completely change his philosophy now - or if he’s even capable.

Reactions: delk4three
I think Cal has shown his hand that he's more gimmick than a great coach.. but I also think emotions are high right now and fans are really trying to make anything stick. Of course he cares and of course he's a good coach.. hes just not been doing a good job. I think he's worn out and ready for a change, he just hasn't said it yet.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I think Cal has shown his hand that he's more gimmick than a great coach.. but I also think emotions are high right now and fans are really trying to make anything stick. Of course he cares and of course he's a good coach.. hes just not been doing a good job. I think he's worn out and ready for a change, he just hasn't said it yet.
His ego is to huge for him to admit to himself that it's time to hang it up.He will tarnish his legacy before he will admit it....and he's certainly doing a good job of it.

K played and coached for Bobby Knight. I read a story about the most important thing he learned from Knight. While playing for him at Army, Knight ran a certain drill every practice. Later when K was coaching high school he decided if that drill was good enough for Knight, it was good enough for him, so he ran it every day. K then returned to help Bobby at IU. The first day of practice, K was shocked when they did not run the drill. They did not run it again the next day. After a few more days, K worked up the nerve to ask Knight about it. Knight answered, "Michael, you were no Quinn Buckner." The moral is adapt to your players.

K played and coached for Bobby Knight. I read a story about the most important thing he learned from Knight. While playing for him at Army, Knight ran a certain drill every practice. Later when K was coaching high school he decided if that drill was good enough for Knight, it was good enough for him, so he ran it every day. K then returned to help Bobby at IU. The first day of practice, K was shocked when they did not run the drill. They did not run it again the next day. After a few more days, K worked up the nerve to ask Knight about it. Knight answered, "Michael, you were no Quinn Buckner." The moral is adapt to your players.
That’s great.

Reactions: berniecarbo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT