ADVERTISEMENT

Who Does BBN want next?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
If Robinson is out, who does BBN think UK has a realistic shot at?

Is there a Gohlke out there?

He only shot 1% lower than Robinson from three point range.

He's a 2 steal/per game guy, which is vastly superior to Robinson. His rebounding numbers are also vastly superior to Robinson (6 per game).

Even his assist numbers are Mashburn-esque. He averaged 3 assists/game.
He also had a better defensive efficiency rating last year than Robinson did and he did it against a significantly better SOS. Was also FSU’s main scorer and grabbed his 15ppg with defenses keying on him, which is what we want in the player we take now.

He also had a better defensive efficiency rating last year than Robinson did and he did it against a significantly better SOS. Was also FSU’s main scorer and grabbed his 15ppg with defenses keying on him, which is what we want in the player we take now.
What I love about his game is that he gets to the rim. He took 6.2 free throws per game last year, and connected on 80% from the line. The kid can initiate offense from the wing position.

You put him and Oweh together on the wing and they would shut down your opposing wing collections. Watkins' steals numbers were insane for a forward.

If no Poplar or Robinson, I would love to get Jamir Watkins 6'7 SF from FSU. Per 24/7 is the #3 ranked SF and 10th ranked portal player overall. 15.6 ppg / 6 rebounds / 3 assist / 2 steals. Shot 34.4% from 3 only taking just under 3 per game, making one. 80% free throw shooter with 5 makes per game. He gets to the line a lot (6.2 per game).

per NBA draft.net :
Prototypical wing, very athletic, very good size and length. can score at all 3 levels. Very good passer, can play any of the 1-3 spots, though not a PG, has lead guard skills and ability. Strong rebounder and very good at attacking the rim. Solid defender that uses his length to disrupt passing lanes and pesky on ball defense.

Ironically, Watkins is better than Robinson, Poplar, and Lanier.

UK has been mentioned with him, but I'm not sure how serious the interest is.

He's the small forward this team needs. He compliments Brea, KK, and Chandler nicely because of Watkins' ability to find the open man in spacing.

Williams
Carr
Watkins
Chandler
Butler

With Oweh, KK, Brea, Garrison, and Almonor off the bench.

That's a roster full of grown men, and would be enough to get BBN excited about next season.

This is the correct answer.

The incorrect answer is Poplar. The 3rd leading scorer on 15-17 Miami is not the missing ingredient.
Fourth. He’s just listed third maybe because he grabbed more boards? I dunno but Nijel Pack scored more. I would still take Poplar even knowing he was his team’s fourth leading scorer last year. I’ve been told that a hurt ankle held him back so his college ceiling is higher than it looks. But I’d still rather have Robinson or definitely Watkins.

Fourth. He’s just listed third maybe because he grabbed more boards? I dunno but Nijel Pack scored more. I would still take Poplar even knowing he was his team’s fourth leading scorer last year. I’ve been told that a hurt ankle held him back so his college ceiling is higher than it looks. But I’d still rather have Robinson or definitely Watkins.
If UK lands Watkins, they become the deepest team in the country.

As a matter of fact, never mind if no Robinson or Poplar, give me Watkins first. He would be the best player on the team. He is a true 2 way player and absolute perfect player for our needs. The ever elusive wing player. Poplar is NOT a wing, Robinson kind of is, but he doesn't do enough to be a true wing. Watkins can score from all three levels, rebound, pass, and play defense.

Reactions: BlueSince92
You would take Riley over Watkins ? Why ? he has never played ONE college game and would move up a year. Have you not learned your lesson from freshman skipping their senior year in high school and go to college ?

I love Jamir Watkins from Florida State.
They said he had a 'do not contact' on his phone or whatever. Coleman Hawkins agent said he wants to be paid like Osobor. To me Riley is the best fit for us because of his skill level and being a freshman can be brought along at his pace. Did Vinson commit to anybody?

You would take Riley over Watkins ? Why ? he has never played ONE college game and would move up a year. Have you not learned your lesson from freshman skipping their senior year in high school and go to college ?
I have learned to look at individual players and not to lump all players into a category and act like they're all the same. Have you learned that yet? I'd get more specific in my answer but I just didn't like the tone of your response.

I have learned to look at individual players and not to lump all players into a category and act like they're all the same. Have you learned that yet? I'd get more specific in my answer but I just didn't like the tone of your response.
Just looking for reasoning that is all. That is kind of what discussions / debates are centered on. You notice my post I gave reasons why I wanted Watkins. but you can tell the tone of a post just based on reading it ? I simply asked why you preferred a unproven 17/18 year old over a very proven 21/22 year old that is all, nothing more, nothing less. That is all my post was inquiring about.

Just looking for reasoning that is all. That is kind of what discussions / debates are centered on. You notice my post I gave reasons why. So you can tell the tone of a post just based on reading it ? I simply asked why you preferred a unproven 17/18 year old over a very proven 21/22 year old that is all, nothing more, nothing less. That is all my post was inquiring about.
I'm happy to discuss things but when somebody puts things like "have you learned nothing" into a response they are looking for a fight, not a discussion and I won't get into a discussion with somebody that comes at me like that. So find somebody else to engage in discussion with you.

Coleman Hawkins agent said he wants to be paid like Osobor.
Then in my opinion you freaking pay him even if you have to call Joe Craft and ask him for an advance on your allowance. People keep looking at this from the angle of greed but that’s not the only relevant perspective.

You have to consider return on investment. You don’t want to throw away two million dollars, right? Okay, fair. What if Watkins is the difference between borderline mediocrity and contending for a title? He very realistically could be, especially if we turn him down and either whiff on other options or we get Poplar but it turns out he’s not really up to going from fourth scoring option to first scoring option. In any case like that, you’ve *almost* thrown away the four point eight million dollars we’ve already spent on NIL so far. If you want to keep from throwing away two million dollars, how much more should you want to keep from throwing away five million dollars?

It’s only business sense and I sure hope that as a Rhodes Scholar and a capable med student Pope is sharp enough to see that.

Looks like he's slower off the dribble than Robinson, and maybe not as crafty around the basket, but seems significantly better in every other aspect of the game.
Not the case. He is a lot better driving and creating. As evidenced by his over 6 free throw attempts per game. A lot more crafty around the basket and creating for himself and others than Robinson. That is the exact knock on Robinson and the reason he is not a solid draft pick, he just doesn't do anything with his size. Watkins can effectively play the 1-3 spots, uses his very good athleticism and length to score. Watch film on him, he is anything but slow off the dribble. I like Robinson, but he just floats around and if his shot is not falling, he disappears. He has the ability, but for some reason doesn't fully use it. Which is exactly why his rebounding #'s for his size is bad and not a assist guy, below average defender.

Not the case. He is a lot better driving and creating. As evidenced by his over 6 free throw attempts per game. A lot more crafty around the basket and creating for himself and others than Robinson. That is the exact knock on Robinson and the reason he is not a solid draft pick, he just doesn't do anything with his size. Watkins can effectively play the 1-3 spots, uses his very good athleticism and length to score. Watch film on him, he is anything but slow off the dribble. I like Robinson, but he just floats around and if his shot is not falling, he disappears. He has the ability, but for some reason doesn't fully use it. Which is exactly why his rebounding #'s for his size is bad and not a assist guy, below average defender.
I did watch film on him. He seemed slower to me. But you seem like you know more about it than me so I'm happy to roll with your take. Either way, I'd be thrilled to have him!

I'm happy to discuss things but when somebody puts things like "have you learned nothing" into a response they are looking for a fight, not a discussion and I won't get into a discussion with somebody that comes at me like that. So find somebody else to engage in discussion with you.
Not my intention, it was to reference the slew of high school kids who played up a class and came to UK not ready for college. The list is a lot longer for the ones who didn't pan out, than did. They was simply just not mature / strong / mentally ready for big time college basketball. Watkins has done it on a very big stage and actually still has some more of his game to show.

I did watch film on him. He seemed slower to me. But you seem like you know more about it than me so I'm happy to roll with your take. Either way, I'd be thrilled to have him!
Keep in mind he is a true 6'7 and 215 pounds. Robinson at the combine actually came in at 6'5. It doesn't matter anyway, Robinson has committed to UK.

Need someone to learn the ropes and be here next year. He is a 5* and he would learn a ton from the guys we have. Watkins will not come here to be back up. Riley I think will.

Watkins wouldn't be a backup to ANYONE on the roster. he would be a day 1 starter at the 3. But we will never know for certain.

Riley. When you have a good roster already in place, a potential unicorn is worth the risk of him not being ready.

I am extremely happy with what we have The pope has been magnificent on the recruiting trail
People Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Peterson. He is raw, but major potential. Would have 2 years before he could go to NBA and he is physically ready. He has a man’s body.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT