ADVERTISEMENT

When we eventually get a big Im not sure they start or play big minutes necessarily

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
It will most certainly depend on the othr teams size.

This team held their own v #1 KU and 7’2 Dickenson on neutral floor. actually should have won the game if Reeves doesnt ball hog and Shep plays about 9-10 more mintues.

HH, weren't you recently found gloating at how incredible it will be when all 3 bigs are playing at the same time? Maybe that was Silents or Smooth.

It is more than obvious we need our bigs and they will see plenty of minutes. Right now we have little rim protection and for most of the game last night we were getting killed on the boards. Got to have at least one and, hopefully, two of our bigs back in order to be the team we want to be this year.

My concern is Cal will try to play all 3 of them at once. We definitely need a big, getting killed on the boards.

This team held their own v #1 KU and 7’2 Dickenson on neutral floor. actually should have won the game if Reeves doesnt ball hog and Shep plays about 9-10 more mintues.
Bradshaw and Z bring the same skill set as does Trey plus defense and a 7’2” body

Mitchell’s numbers have to go down once we get one big available. He can’t play 35+ minutes all season. A big man can’t take that kind of wear and tear. Need Mitchell down around 25 minutes a game.

I say split our best 8 (the 7 guys playing 20+ minutes a game right now plus Bradshaw or Ivisic- whoever is ready first or is most effective) pretty evenly, with everyone getting around 25 minutes a game.

Keep the legs fresh for March.

Once we get one of the bigs back, there is no reason to run Mitchell into the ground.

I think last night showed how much we need a center against bigger teams. Mitchell cannot be our 5 defensively for extended periods. Was at the game and it was very evident how overmatched he was
Mitchell held his own but damn sure deserves some help. Loved the kids desire to take them 2 shots in overtime last night knowing he can't worry bout what Cal thinks. Definitely can't bench him being our only big. Bradshaw is athletic enough to get the job done for us as rim protector and put back dunks. Mitchell can stretch the floor while the other guys rain down on the oppositions. Go Cats!!

The perfect rotation (assuming Bradshaw gets healthy and is as good as advertised), IMHO (estimated minutes give or take a few minutes):

G Sheppard(25)/Wagner(15)
G Dillingham(25)/Wagner(10)/Reeves(5)
G Reeves(20)/Edwards(20)
F Mitchell(10)/Thiero(25)/Edwards(5)
F Bradshaw(25)/Mitchell(15)

8 guys playing about 25 a piece per game through the regular season.

I understand what you are getting at in that they would likely underperform due to limited practice and game time experience.

The thing is that we don’t necessarily need them to put up any points at all. We need rebounding and rim protection. Both of which can be done with very little of the above.

Imagine the score last night if we had 5-10 more offensive and defensive rebounds as a team. Having a big man will allow us to run even more than we already do as well as provide additional possessions. Right now, we have guards trying to grab boards because we don’t have anyone else to when they should be preparing for an outlet pass.

While we were in the Kansas game the whole way, at points looking like the dominant team, HD put up 20/20. I can’t cannot call that holding our own against him. With a big or two, we likely win that game.

Dickenson went for 20/20. He dominated because of our size limitations. We need Bradshaw and the other bigs to reach our full potential for the season. That's not debatable.
I’m just afraid that our bigs are not going to be rebounding monsters and swatting every shot taken. Cal is in a difficult situation but he has options.

We’ll be in great position to go small at times, but I for one am looking forward to seeing how this defense looks with rim protection, increased perimeter pressure, and the expectation of securing rebounds.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Obviously Bradshaw is the solution to our problem...a big athletic guy who wouldn't clog up the offense.

The perfect rotation (assuming Bradshaw gets healthy and is as good as advertised), IMHO (estimated minutes give or take a few minutes):

G Sheppard(25)/Wagner(15)
G Dillingham(25)/Wagner(10)/Reeves(5)
G Reeves(20)/Edwards(20)
F Mitchell(10)/Thiero(25)/Edwards(5)
F Bradshaw(25)/Mitchell(15)

8 guys playing about 25 a piece per game through the regular season.

Looks perfect to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT