ADVERTISEMENT

Football What USM fans are saying about the game

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Here's a selection of takes from USM fans about the game this weekend.

gdunn: I'm about half n half... I'm optimistic that we'll do better than last season but I wouldn't be shocked if we're out of bowl contention by time conference play starts.

USM3000: That's where I am myself.
I hope we don't scratch out 4-5 wins total and try to shine that up to mean "improvement". I hear Coach talk about all the returning talent, but the same players/coaching combo posted 3 wins last year. I guess I need to see results before I buy it.

gdunn: I can see where it's a valid argument because after Hall turned over play calling duties, the team went 2-3, with close loss with App State.

New DC.. New OC... We'll see.. I'm not sold on the OL Coach and that's where the battle starts.

EagNBrian: From what I've heard, expect little and be pleasantly surprised if you get more.

everyone: Game one will be a bloodbath. So, it doesn't matter if you have any optimism going in...it will be taken away after game one. We will sneak by SE LA 27-20. About 8K fans for USF which will be another bloodbath. Since we are gluttons for punishment our coach is still around for a bloodbath against Jax State and then he is finally let go. Bags on heads after that. Just kidding, we will be Top G in the G5 very soon

Golden Fogg: I'm looking forward to the season just to have something to do. I no longer get worried about it. College football as we knew it is dead. Only the sec will matter. I don't know why people still get mad about something that by definition you can't compete against. If they were smart they would have broke off to form their own division. Anyway...
QB play will determine how we do. We've had no consistency there. Since the OL has been bad for what -ten years? - I think it's now a law of nature that can't be overcome no matter who the coach is. We should innovate a way to play sans line. Maybe that all 11 offense or whatever it was.
Nice talking with y'all; it's been a while. Hope you all are doing well.

Black and Gold Battle Umbrella: Unless Tate proves exceptional, 4-7.

Ken: Kentucky has a decent program (they just have to regularly play top tier teams in the SEC). They put millions into their football facilities a while back to attract better players.
USM could learn from them.

Howard:
We should cover if this team has really improved as much as Hall keeps saying it has. No way we should lose by 28 or more to Kentucky even though they're a decent team with a good coach and money pouring in to improve their facilities. God I miss the Fedora days!!!

Cameron:
Why is everyone so angry? The football season hasn’t even started and everyone is mad about what coach said or calling people trolls. Let’s just get the season started. Then, once we start 1 and 3 we can get mad and want to fight each other.

Rob (on Chip Trayanum being out): So instead of stomping us by 50 points, they’ll only stomp us by 35. That’s a relief.

Robert: Did you think he would play much against us? Two series maybe.

Rocky: Basically let him sit out for a scrimmage game.

Richard: Every year, for the past few years, after the first team scrimmages and just before the season starts, I hear about how good we look and about how we’re improved in this area of our offense or defense, and everything is looking up and a bunch of other positive such-and-such, and then the season begins and all that just goes out the window, and nothing has changed from the previous year. So, no offense to those of you who are spouting the same positive messages that I’ve heard before, but I’m just gonna wait till the Kentucky game until I start believing anything.

Alan: Auburn spent $25 million on a scoreboard
Tennessee is spending $100 million to expand baseball stadium.
We are not the same.
The quicker the SEC and Big 10 break away, the better off we will be.

Chad (on the line moving 4 points in UK's direction to -28): They haven’t seen how good we look against ourselves in practice

Chris: I think I would take the Cats and the points.

Discussion from:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.