ADVERTISEMENT

What About Gottlieb?

BlueManToo

Sophomore
Dec 29, 2005
Gottlieb raved on-and-on about how WVU was a possible upset special versus UK when he was calling the MD-WVU game. Will be interesting to see if he offers up any semblance of a mea culpa ? I won't hold my breath, but I'll bet that he and Battier will play it a little closer to the vest from here on out with their 'expert' opinions
smile.r191677.gif

Do you guys not get it? Gottlieb is a contrarian. If everyone is picking a team to win the title, he's going to pick against them. It's nothing against UK. He's just that annoying dude everyone knows.

He's probably hiding with Daxter Miles in the same handicap stall right now.

Originally posted by wcc31:
Do you guys not get it? Gottlieb is a contrarian. If everyone is picking a team to win the title, he's going to pick against them. It's nothing against UK. He's just that annoying dude everyone knows.
^ This is exactly right. And he's not the only one. Sports media is a production designed to get ratings. Someone has decided that it's useful to have someone play the heel. ESPN has a few. CBS has a few.

I don't like Gottlieb or the idea that having a guy like him is good for business, but I also don't think he's dumb enough to believe a lot of what he says on air. He just knows that there are some things he can say to get and hold viewer's attentions so he says them. Whether or not his on-air opinions are accurate matters much less than whether or not they get ratings.

Someone has to pick against teams from time to time. Really not a big deal and no one should read too much into it.

Originally posted by far_away_fan:

Originally posted by wcc31:
^ This is exactly right. And he's not the only one. Sports media is a production designed to get ratings. Someone has decided that it's useful to have someone play the heel. ESPN has a few. CBS has a few.

I don't like Gottlieb or the idea that having a guy like him is good for business, but I also don't think he's dumb enough to believe a lot of what he says on air. He just knows that there are some things he can say to get and hold viewer's attentions so he says them. Whether or not his on-air opinions are accurate matters much less than whether or not they get ratings.
Exactly. If he went along with everyone else, no one would be talking about him. He does what gets him attention...he goes against the grain. It's worked in getting him attention. He was on the DP show this mornign and gave a really good interview talking about his issues at ND.

What the media doesn't know is that we really ARE that good. There have been a couple of games where we weren't interested, but right now we are fully focused, and there isn't a team left in the tournament that will beat us. Not now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT