ADVERTISEMENT

Western Michigan (Preview)

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
No boss at the office today means I have some time to do a preview. I'll start with the pitching and post it, and then go to the hitters to look out for.

Kentucky will host a 3 game set this weekend against the Western Michigan Broncos. Western Michigan plays in the Mid-American conference, where last year they went 23-17 in their conference and finished tied for 3rd. Overall they were 24-26 with their lone OOC win coming against Ball State.

Western Michigan is 1-2 on the year, having only faced Bradley to start the season. Interestingly, they played their first series at a neutral site in Richmond, Kentucky at EKU's Earle Combs Stadium. So, EKU hit the road and went to Macon, Georgia to play Mercer and Bradley came down to EKU from Illinois and WMU from Michigan to face one another in a three game set. Not sure why, but they played their games this past weekend with 1 on Saturday and then had a double header on Sunday. The first game on Sunday they only played 7 innings, but they played a full 9 in the second game. No idea why they did it that way. Pretty strange. Just for consistency, I'll still refer to their starters as Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the games as Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Just makes it easier to keep straight. Also want to point out that it is extremely weird that they came down to KY to play the series, but didn't play a mid-week game. Sometimes you might see a team come to an area and stay a full 10 or 11 days and play 7 games in that time, but they didn't have a midweek game, so they may have headed back home to Kalamazoo.

First pitch this afternoon will be at 4:00pm at KPP and UK hitters will likely face Easton Sikorski. Easton is a 6'0 205 pound junior right hander. He threw 4 innings against Bradley a week ago and gave up 8 hits (.471), 3 runs, 2 earned (4.50 ERA), with 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. So Easton threw strikes and Bradley put the ball in play, but it seems like he was able to limit the damage. Looking a bit deeper, it appears that he we going pretty well, but had a rough third where he gave up the 3 runs on 4 hits. Easton has a career 4.39 ERA, and carried a 4.14 ERA through 11 starts a year ago and had 62 strikeouts in 63 innings while walking just 18. So, again, he's going to fill up the strike zone and try to trust his defense. Best that I can tell, he probably throws high 80s or 90s and with an over the top delivery. So, probably see him throwing more off-speed type pitches if I had to guess. Not going to be swing and miss type stuff, but we saw this past week that those type of pitchers that are located were a problem for UK as we put the ball into play, but we still couldn't find hits.

Saturday UK will likely see Dane Armbrustmacher. Dane will be the first starting lefty that UK faces this season (IIRC). He is 6'4 205 junior and has an over the top type of delivery. Doesn't seem like he hides the ball all too well. This is his first year starting full time. He had 3 starts a year ago with 17 appearances and had a 6.75 ERA. Against Bradley last Saturday he had a pretty strong outing as he went 5 innings struck out 10 hitters and gave up just 1 walk. He did give up 3 hits, 2 of which were solo home runs. So, he can be susceptible to leaving the ball up in the zone, but Bradley hit just .158 against him in those 5 innings, so they struggled to hit him outside of that. Looking deeper, both home runs came in the top of the 2nd for Bradley, and outside of those 2, Dane struck out the side. So, he got a K, gave up a home run, got a K, gave up a home run, and then got a K. That is a pretty wild inning.

Jack Huisman got the start for Bradley on Sunday, but he only went 2.1 as he had a rough day giving up 7 earned runs on 5 hits, walking 5 and striking out 2. Jack is a 6'4 200 pound righty senior, so he certainly has plenty of experience. A year ago he started in 8 games and had a 4.18 ERA. Carries a career 11.76 ERA. Not sure if they will continue to go to Jack on Sunday after his start this past week, but it might be too early to go ahead and make a change. It seems a bit odd to me that they have 2 juniors and a senior pitching on the weekend rather than some younger guys.

Out of the bullpen, only 2 pitchers saw more than 1 day of work this past weekend. They were sophomore righty Hayden Berg who threw 3.1 innings across 2 games. He gave up 3 runs on 4 hits in those two appearances and struck out 3 and walked 3. Gave up 2 home runs and 2 doubles. He came into the game on Friday and it looks like they were going to use him to try to stop the bleeding. WMU was up 8-5 to start the 8th, but Bradley had a big inning and had closed the gap to 8-7 when Berg came in with 2 outs and 2 men on (they had intentionally walked the Bradley SS for some reason, he was hitless in the game, so not sure why they wanted to walk him with 2 outs. Still, Berg faced the 5 hole hitter and gave up a walk that loaded the bases and then gave up a grand slam to make the game 11-8. He gave up another walk before finally getting a lineout to end the inning, and take the loss. He appeared again in the Sunday game. WMU jumped out to a big lead, up 9-2 after the top of the 3rd, but in the third Huisman struggled and gave up a couple runs before giving way to Houghtaling, and the two combined to give up 9 runs in the inning to make the game 9-11 in favor of Bradley. Berg came into the game in the 4th with 0 outs and a runner on. He allowed that inherited base runner to score after giving up a double and a sac fly, but he didn't allow any runs of his own. The lone run he gave up came off a home run to lead off the bottom of the 5th. So, we might see Berg a time or two this weekend and it seems like UK should be able to hit him hard and send some balls out of the park.

The other pitcher that has 2 appearances is Nick Crandell, a 6'2 sophomore righty. Crandell pitched 0.2 innings in the Friday game and gave up 4 earned runs on 3 hits with 1 walk and 1 strikeout. He then came back on Sunday and pitched 1 full giving up 0 earned runs with 2 walks and 1 strikeout.

Brendan Lovell was their most successful pitcher of the weekend. The senior righty went three full in the first game, giving up 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned with 5 strikeouts and 1 walk. I imagine he'll get more work this weekend if the games are close.

Overall, the WMU staff is just not very good. They are experienced and, unless something changes, will only pitch 1 true freshmen and 2 redshirt freshmen. Everyone else is mostly a junior or a senior. Despite that, just doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of imposing arms in that dugout and none that should really scare the UK hitters. They do have a few of lefties to help flip the UK lineup around, but one of them is their game 2 starter and only one other one has pitched this past weekend, and he had a rough go of it, taking a loss in the 2nd game and giving up 5 earned runs in the last inning, the 7th.

This is a staff with a combined ERA above 12. Sunday they got a win, but they gave up 17 runs and needed 19 of their own to win. They have really struggled late in games as they gave up 16 runs over the three games in the last 2 Bradley at bats over the weekend (i.e the 7th and 8th in the Friday game because Bradley didn't bat in the 9th). UK has shown an ability to feast on late game pitching (14 runs in their 4 games in the 9th this season) and I think they could definitely do that this weekend.

The first thing that stands out for WMU is that they have not used a whole lot of guys in the lineup. Just 11 players have recorded an at bat for the Broncos, so it stands to reason that they might continue this trend.

8 of those 11 have started all 3 games. In most games Connor Charping will leadoff and play catcher for the Broncos, but Greg Budig will come into the game to spell him at catcher and Charping will move into CF, which is a pretty interesting switch. In that instance, it appears that RF Dylan Nevar will come out as a starter and Will Morrison will move over from CF to RF. They did this in the Sunday, third, game so we might see that again this weekend.

I think they will look like this (in order):

C - Connor Charping - 6'0 210 Senior R/R. .333 with 4 hits, 2 doubles and 4 runs scored. 2-3 on stolen bases. 1 K and 2 BB.

CF - Will Morrison - 5'11 195 RS Soph R/R. .286 with 4 hits, 1 HR, 1 RBI, and 3 runs scored. 4Ks, 0 walks.

2B - Justin McIntyre - 6'0 200 Senior R/R. .222 with 3 hits, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 runs scored. 3 walks, 1K, 2HBP. 2-3 on stolen bases.

1B - Doyle Gavin - 6'2 215 Junior R/R. .333 with 3 hits, 2 doubles and 3 RBIs. 3 runs scored with 5 walks and 2 strikeouts.

LF - Josh Swineheart - 6'4 210 Soph R/R. .300 with 3 hits, 1 double, 1 HR, 3 runs scored and 5 RBI. 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.

SS - Jimmy Allen - 6'0 195 Junior R/R. .250 with 3 hits, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, and 4 runs scored. 2 walks and 3 Ks.

RF - Dylan Nevar - 6'2 190 RS Fresh L/L. .167 with 1 hit and 1 strikeout.

DH - Cade Sullivan - 6'4 205 Soph R/R. .125 with 1 hit, 3 runs scored, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.

3B - Brendan Harrity - 5'10 170 RS Fresh S/R, .250 with 3 hits, 3 runs scored, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 3 strikeouts and 2 walks.

You could see Sullivan more towards the middle because he has some good power, I think, but he's struggled at the plate, so I am inclined to think they may push him further down the lineup. Sullivan and Gavin will also take turns swapping between DH and 1B.

Ryan Missal has appeared in all 3 games as a sub. In the first two he came in as a PH for Sullivan, but in the third game he came in as a defensive replacement for Swineheart in LF.

OF Sub - Ryan Missal - 6'3 200 Senior L/R. .000 in 3 at bats with 3 walks and 3 strikeouts, has scored a run.

C Sub - Greg Budig - 6'0 200 Soph R/R. .400 with 2 hits in 5 at bats with a double and 2 RBIs. 2 walks 0 strikeouts, 1 run scored.

Budig was also used as a PH in the second game, but I don't think he played defense, just hit for Nevar in the bottom of the last inning. Since he is .400 and some others are struggling, they might look to get him more at bats this weekend to see if he can continue that.

Hitting .260 as a team. They did score 29 runs over the weekend, but 19 of those came in 1 game. They seem to be pretty patient, drawing 21 walks in those 3 games (UK has the same number through 4), but they will also strike out a good deal, 27 of those (UK has 26). Seems like they have some power, but no one really stands out as being the huge home run threat. 5 home runs for them by 5 different players (UK has 5). Also have 8 doubles, so they are hitting the gaps a good bit (UK has 7). Clearly, not a huge threat to run with just 2 guys having 4 stolen bases in 3 games.

All in all, I don't think they are going to be a major threat at the plate. As usual, keep the ball low and I think UK pitchers see a lot of strikeouts. UK is a big step up in competition from Bradley (who went 20-22) a year ago, and I think that WMU will feel that. They are an experienced team, but I wouldn't consider them extremely talented by any means. I don't think any hitter is particular dangerous and that UK pitchers should be able to go to work without much fear of anyone.

All in all, I look for UK to absolutely dominate this weekend and to probably put up some silly offensive numbers.

Reactions: dtjr and MRobCat589
Three free tickets for today’s game if anyone can use them. Sec 106, row 2.

The first thing that stands out for WMU is that they have not used a whole lot of guys in the lineup. Just 11 players have recorded an at bat for the Broncos, so it stands to reason that they might continue this trend.

8 of those 11 have started all 3 games. In most games Connor Charping will leadoff and play catcher for the Broncos, but Greg Budig will come into the game to spell him at catcher and Charping will move into CF, which is a pretty interesting switch. In that instance, it appears that RF Dylan Nevar will come out as a starter and Will Morrison will move over from CF to RF. They did this in the Sunday, third, game so we might see that again this weekend.

I think they will look like this (in order):

C - Connor Charping - 6'0 210 Senior R/R. .333 with 4 hits, 2 doubles and 4 runs scored. 2-3 on stolen bases. 1 K and 2 BB.

CF - Will Morrison - 5'11 195 RS Soph R/R. .286 with 4 hits, 1 HR, 1 RBI, and 3 runs scored. 4Ks, 0 walks.

2B - Justin McIntyre - 6'0 200 Senior R/R. .222 with 3 hits, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 runs scored. 3 walks, 1K, 2HBP. 2-3 on stolen bases.

1B - Doyle Gavin - 6'2 215 Junior R/R. .333 with 3 hits, 2 doubles and 3 RBIs. 3 runs scored with 5 walks and 2 strikeouts.

LF - Josh Swineheart - 6'4 210 Soph R/R. .300 with 3 hits, 1 double, 1 HR, 3 runs scored and 5 RBI. 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.

SS - Jimmy Allen - 6'0 195 Junior R/R. .250 with 3 hits, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, and 4 runs scored. 2 walks and 3 Ks.

RF - Dylan Nevar - 6'2 190 RS Fresh L/L. .167 with 1 hit and 1 strikeout.

DH - Cade Sullivan - 6'4 205 Soph R/R. .125 with 1 hit, 3 runs scored, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.

3B - Brendan Harrity - 5'10 170 RS Fresh S/R, .250 with 3 hits, 3 runs scored, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 3 strikeouts and 2 walks.

You could see Sullivan more towards the middle because he has some good power, I think, but he's struggled at the plate, so I am inclined to think they may push him further down the lineup. Sullivan and Gavin will also take turns swapping between DH and 1B.

Ryan Missal has appeared in all 3 games as a sub. In the first two he came in as a PH for Sullivan, but in the third game he came in as a defensive replacement for Swineheart in LF.

OF Sub - Ryan Missal - 6'3 200 Senior L/R. .000 in 3 at bats with 3 walks and 3 strikeouts, has scored a run.

C Sub - Greg Budig - 6'0 200 Soph R/R. .400 with 2 hits in 5 at bats with a double and 2 RBIs. 2 walks 0 strikeouts, 1 run scored.

Budig was also used as a PH in the second game, but I don't think he played defense, just hit for Nevar in the bottom of the last inning. Since he is .400 and some others are struggling, they might look to get him more at bats this weekend to see if he can continue that.

Hitting .260 as a team. They did score 29 runs over the weekend, but 19 of those came in 1 game. They seem to be pretty patient, drawing 21 walks in those 3 games (UK has the same number through 4), but they will also strike out a good deal, 27 of those (UK has 26). Seems like they have some power, but no one really stands out as being the huge home run threat. 5 home runs for them by 5 different players (UK has 5). Also have 8 doubles, so they are hitting the gaps a good bit (UK has 7). Clearly, not a huge threat to run with just 2 guys having 4 stolen bases in 3 games.

All in all, I don't think they are going to be a major threat at the plate. As usual, keep the ball low and I think UK pitchers see a lot of strikeouts. UK is a big step up in competition from Bradley (who went 20-22) a year ago, and I think that WMU will feel that. They are an experienced team, but I wouldn't consider them extremely talented by any means. I don't think any hitter is particular dangerous and that UK pitchers should be able to go to work without much fear of anyone.

All in all, I look for UK to absolutely dominate this weekend and to probably put up some silly offensive numbers.
I think you scout the opposing teams better than Mingione and company.

No boss at the office today means I have some time to do a preview. I'll start with the pitching and post it, and then go to the hitters to look out for.

Kentucky will host a 3 game set this weekend against the Western Michigan Broncos. Western Michigan plays in the Mid-American conference, where last year they went 23-17 in their conference and finished tied for 3rd. Overall they were 24-26 with their lone OOC win coming against Ball State.

Western Michigan is 1-2 on the year, having only faced Bradley to start the season. Interestingly, they played their first series at a neutral site in Richmond, Kentucky at EKU's Earle Combs Stadium. So, EKU hit the road and went to Macon, Georgia to play Mercer and Bradley came down to EKU from Illinois and WMU from Michigan to face one another in a three game set. Not sure why, but they played their games this past weekend with 1 on Saturday and then had a double header on Sunday. The first game on Sunday they only played 7 innings, but they played a full 9 in the second game. No idea why they did it that way. Pretty strange. Just for consistency, I'll still refer to their starters as Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the games as Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Just makes it easier to keep straight. Also want to point out that it is extremely weird that they came down to KY to play the series, but didn't play a mid-week game. Sometimes you might see a team come to an area and stay a full 10 or 11 days and play 7 games in that time, but they didn't have a midweek game, so they may have headed back home to Kalamazoo.

First pitch this afternoon will be at 4:00pm at KPP and UK hitters will likely face Easton Sikorski. Easton is a 6'0 205 pound junior right hander. He threw 4 innings against Bradley a week ago and gave up 8 hits (.471), 3 runs, 2 earned (4.50 ERA), with 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. So Easton threw strikes and Bradley put the ball in play, but it seems like he was able to limit the damage. Looking a bit deeper, it appears that he we going pretty well, but had a rough third where he gave up the 3 runs on 4 hits. Easton has a career 4.39 ERA, and carried a 4.14 ERA through 11 starts a year ago and had 62 strikeouts in 63 innings while walking just 18. So, again, he's going to fill up the strike zone and try to trust his defense. Best that I can tell, he probably throws high 80s or 90s and with an over the top delivery. So, probably see him throwing more off-speed type pitches if I had to guess. Not going to be swing and miss type stuff, but we saw this past week that those type of pitchers that are located were a problem for UK as we put the ball into play, but we still couldn't find hits.

Saturday UK will likely see Dane Armbrustmacher. Dane will be the first starting lefty that UK faces this season (IIRC). He is 6'4 205 junior and has an over the top type of delivery. Doesn't seem like he hides the ball all too well. This is his first year starting full time. He had 3 starts a year ago with 17 appearances and had a 6.75 ERA. Against Bradley last Saturday he had a pretty strong outing as he went 5 innings struck out 10 hitters and gave up just 1 walk. He did give up 3 hits, 2 of which were solo home runs. So, he can be susceptible to leaving the ball up in the zone, but Bradley hit just .158 against him in those 5 innings, so they struggled to hit him outside of that. Looking deeper, both home runs came in the top of the 2nd for Bradley, and outside of those 2, Dane struck out the side. So, he got a K, gave up a home run, got a K, gave up a home run, and then got a K. That is a pretty wild inning.

Jack Huisman got the start for Bradley on Sunday, but he only went 2.1 as he had a rough day giving up 7 earned runs on 5 hits, walking 5 and striking out 2. Jack is a 6'4 200 pound righty senior, so he certainly has plenty of experience. A year ago he started in 8 games and had a 4.18 ERA. Carries a career 11.76 ERA. Not sure if they will continue to go to Jack on Sunday after his start this past week, but it might be too early to go ahead and make a change. It seems a bit odd to me that they have 2 juniors and a senior pitching on the weekend rather than some younger guys.

Out of the bullpen, only 2 pitchers saw more than 1 day of work this past weekend. They were sophomore righty Hayden Berg who threw 3.1 innings across 2 games. He gave up 3 runs on 4 hits in those two appearances and struck out 3 and walked 3. Gave up 2 home runs and 2 doubles. He came into the game on Friday and it looks like they were going to use him to try to stop the bleeding. WMU was up 8-5 to start the 8th, but Bradley had a big inning and had closed the gap to 8-7 when Berg came in with 2 outs and 2 men on (they had intentionally walked the Bradley SS for some reason, he was hitless in the game, so not sure why they wanted to walk him with 2 outs. Still, Berg faced the 5 hole hitter and gave up a walk that loaded the bases and then gave up a grand slam to make the game 11-8. He gave up another walk before finally getting a lineout to end the inning, and take the loss. He appeared again in the Sunday game. WMU jumped out to a big lead, up 9-2 after the top of the 3rd, but in the third Huisman struggled and gave up a couple runs before giving way to Houghtaling, and the two combined to give up 9 runs in the inning to make the game 9-11 in favor of Bradley. Berg came into the game in the 4th with 0 outs and a runner on. He allowed that inherited base runner to score after giving up a double and a sac fly, but he didn't allow any runs of his own. The lone run he gave up came off a home run to lead off the bottom of the 5th. So, we might see Berg a time or two this weekend and it seems like UK should be able to hit him hard and send some balls out of the park.

The other pitcher that has 2 appearances is Nick Crandell, a 6'2 sophomore righty. Crandell pitched 0.2 innings in the Friday game and gave up 4 earned runs on 3 hits with 1 walk and 1 strikeout. He then came back on Sunday and pitched 1 full giving up 0 earned runs with 2 walks and 1 strikeout.

Brendan Lovell was their most successful pitcher of the weekend. The senior righty went three full in the first game, giving up 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned with 5 strikeouts and 1 walk. I imagine he'll get more work this weekend if the games are close.

Overall, the WMU staff is just not very good. They are experienced and, unless something changes, will only pitch 1 true freshmen and 2 redshirt freshmen. Everyone else is mostly a junior or a senior. Despite that, just doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of imposing arms in that dugout and none that should really scare the UK hitters. They do have a few of lefties to help flip the UK lineup around, but one of them is their game 2 starter and only one other one has pitched this past weekend, and he had a rough go of it, taking a loss in the 2nd game and giving up 5 earned runs in the last inning, the 7th.

This is a staff with a combined ERA above 12. Sunday they got a win, but they gave up 17 runs and needed 19 of their own to win. They have really struggled late in games as they gave up 16 runs over the three games in the last 2 Bradley at bats over the weekend (i.e the 7th and 8th in the Friday game because Bradley didn't bat in the 9th). UK has shown an ability to feast on late game pitching (14 runs in their 4 games in the 9th this season) and I think they could definitely do that this weekend.
Great preview - except Ball State is a MAC team. So WMU didn't have an OOC win last year. But they only played KState and Cincy for a total of 6 games. MAC played 4 games per weekend last year and no midweek OOC games. They aren't good, but they are definitely used to playing in cold weather.

Great preview - except Ball State is a MAC team. So WMU didn't have an OOC win last year. But they only played KState and Cincy for a total of 6 games. MAC played 4 games per weekend last year and no midweek OOC games. They aren't good, but they are definitely used to playing in cold weather.

Yea, the numbers on the site I was using seemed kind of strange but I didn't pay much attention to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT