ADVERTISEMENT

Wallace and week three PFF

Because he goes off script. PFF penalizes heavily for that.
Trevin also overplays, and is pretty terrible in pass coverage.

He makes up for it in havok.

This. That's also why Jackson is so important. He is great too but plays responsibilities that cover up all of Wallace's freelancing.

In turn, it gives Wallace the opportunity to unleash instinct and athleticism.

They are both critical pieces of the same whole

This. That's also why Jackson is so important. He is great too but plays responsibilities that cover up all of Wallace's freelancing.

In turn, it gives Wallace the opportunity to unleash instinct and athleticism.

They are both critical pieces of the same whole

Coach White has spoken specifically about this. He has stated that DJack and Trevin communicate and work in tandem so well together that he has been willing to give them that freedom. He did say that if those extra risks begin to hurt to team, the freedom will be removed.

I don’t know what to think about PFF. Last week against Eastern, they graded E Cox at a 70.1, fifteen points behind our highest graded O lineman, C Ford. Then come to find out that Cox won SEC OL OTW and UK coaches graded him at 86%. Those don’t seem to line up.

UK knows the play calling and what a player should be doing on every snap.

PFF is primarily a win the snap, lose the snap grading system.

UK might call something favorable in their grades that PFF sees as a losing snap. Or vice versa.

I don’t know what to think about PFF. Last week against Eastern, they graded E Cox at a 70.1, fifteen points behind our highest graded O lineman, C Ford. Then come to find out that Cox won SEC OL OTW and UK coaches graded him at 86%. Those don’t seem to line up.
Yes, but it could be about normal.

Now which one does the average fan believe, looks like you might think it is the SEC and UK coaches. After all it is two to one, so I guess I have to agree with you, having no real expertise in the matter myself.

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
Yes, but it could be about normal.

Now which one does the average fan believe, looks like you might think it is the SEC and UK coaches. After all it is two to one, so I guess I have to agree with you, having no real expertise in the matter myself.
I am by no means football knowledgeable. I wouldn’t know a playbook if it fell on my head. But it’s difficult to understand how even an expert could grade a lineman on any given play unless they knew exactly what that lineman was told to do in the moment. Now factor into consideration the reality that PFF attempts to grade every college (and pro) player on every snap of every game in a roughly 24-hour period. Unless they have an army of experts, which I wouldn’t think possible unless they have Vegas or NFL money for their efforts, I don’t see how they could be very accurate.

Gamecockcat already pointed out that this week’s grades seem awfully low for a line that dominated a ranked team. And Lazydave841 above offers an explanation above about how/why PFF grading loses a lot of nuance.

When I first discovered PFF grades last season, I took them as gospel. I don’t mean to dismiss them altogether, but now I take them with few grains of salt.

I’ll never get around to this but I’d be interested to compare PFF end-of-season grades, by position, with draft rank. That exercise might be enlightening one way or another.

Reactions: ganner918
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT