ADVERTISEMENT

Using NIL to skirt the 13 basketball scholarships limit?

UKfan215

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2003
I was just thinking about this. Is there anything preventing coaches from taking scholarship worthy players as walk-ons and then basically using NIL to make up the difference?

I don't imagine there would be much demand these days for having a roster exceeding 13 scholarship players. It is hard enough keeping 10 guys satisfied with PT. But lets say there is a local kid coming out of high school you might be interested in, but the kid is kind of marginal as a recruit and you might not want to offer a scholly. But if you have a big enough NIL fund, perhaps you could bring them in as a walk-on while providing them with enough NIL to cover tuition, room and board, and have a little extra spending money. This could be a possible way for NIL rich programs to develop marginal kids for the future and stockpile extra talent.

It might also be a way to add a really talented player that becomes available unexpectedly if all of your 13 scholarship slots are filled.

Just curious if anyone else has thought of this and contemplated the potential benefits. It might be another tool for the tool kit. I'll take any advantage I can get and most advantages are found working inside the gray areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News