ADVERTISEMENT

UK to play Penn in Philly

Kind of a cool double header. I wish we were playing at the Palestra though. Would be an awesome experience for the team.
Size of the gym sadly. Thing only seat 8200 or so. Would severely limit ticket sales. But yes, that would've been an awesome place to play.

Size of the gym sadly. Thing only seat 8200 or so. Would severely limit ticket sales. But yes, that would've been an awesome place to play.
Yeah, #1 ranked UNC played their back in 2007 when I ran the arena....it was a really fun game. UNC ran them out of the building.

Penn finished just outside of the Top 125 last season.

Finshed 17-13 and 9-5 in the Ivy League for 3rd.

Not a bad little game.
If Jordan Dingle would have stayed, they would have a decent squad. As you say, will be better than many teams we've put on our schedule in the past.

It’s a weird game because it does nothing for Kentucky at all. If you win it’s not a good win and if you lose it’s a bad loss

I mean you could say the same of any non-top 25 game on our OOC schedule.

This is a "cupcake" game that is much higher caliber than some others, which is what some on here have been clamoring for, and it's neutral site so will probably be a Quad 3 but could sneak into Quad 2 if they are a bit better this year.

(The people on here who say though that our quality of cupcakes isn't up to standard are wrong, but this game should make that crowd happy)

I assume this game fills one of the spots that the cancelled Michigan and ND series left vacant?

It’s a weird game because it does nothing for Kentucky at all. If you win it’s not a good win and if you lose it’s a bad loss
Great game long term for UK recruiting. We’ve been up in that area as of late.
Kids get to go play close to home. Edwards Wagner Bradshaw.

We’re after a couple others up there now.

This is a "cupcake" game that is much higher caliber than some others, which is what some on here have been clamoring for, and it's neutral site so will probably be a Quad 3 but could sneak into Quad 2 if they are a bit better this year.

(The people on here who say though that our quality of cupcakes isn't up to standard are wrong, but this game should make that crowd happy)
I think it also helps it's a known team. Penn isn't a world beater, but they are in a known historic conference, have a historic program (their home court is the Cathedral for goodness sakes) AND they are a Top 150 team. And the media will talk about it some for those reasons. Plus it's in a good media market.

This is the kind of game we should play.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
I think it also helps it's a known team. Penn isn't a world beater, but they are in a known historic conference, have a historic program (their home court is the Cathedral for goodness sakes) AND they are a Top 150 team. And the media will talk about it some for those reasons. Plus it's in a good media market.

This is the kind of game we should play.

And oh by the way, the reason we're playing this game is simple:

It's a chance for DJ Wagner, Justin Edwards, and Aaron Bradshaw to return home to play in front of their friends and family.

Was almost certainly done on their behalf.

You can't have 3 Philly guys on your roster and NOT schedule a game at Wells Fargo.

And oh by the way, the reason we're playing this game is simple:

It's a chance for DJ Wagner, Justin Edwards, and Aaron Bradshaw to return home to play in front of their friends and family.

Was almost certainly done on their behalf.

You can't have 3 Philly guys on your roster and NOT schedule a game at Wells Fargo.
Oh for sure. But even without them, these are the type of games I like to see us engage in. Games that reflect college basketball's history and passion. That's why we should play UNC nearly every chance we get. Same for Duke. UCLA. Programs like Penn, Nova, IU, etc. It enriches the sport. People like quirky matchups here and there sure, but the LOVE to see historic teams face off. It's why Bama-UF in football is huge. Same for OSU-Michigan. Those teams could absolutely suck and people would still tune in. Because they're classics.

UK 5-0 all-time vs Penn. Last met in 2011 during Cal's 2nd year. Tubby's team in 1999 beat them in the Preseason NIT, Rick Pitino with a win in 1990 and a couple wins with Rupp in the Issel, Pratt & Casey Era.

Fair, I think the nuetral site aspect makes me feel that way

True, idk if penn will be good but that area is always loaded with talent

I've never been one to think playing one game in an area (especially for basketball where play 35ish games a year) has any impact on recruiting with every game on TV nowadays. Way back in the day when games were rarely on TV, sure...but I'd bet this game has zero impact on recruiting long term.

I've never been one to think playing one game in an area (especially for basketball where play 35ish games a year) has any impact on recruiting with every game on TV nowadays. Way back in the day when games were rarely on TV, sure...but I'd bet this game has zero impact on recruiting long term., UK will make sure the Camden HS coaches are there - with Billy Richmond - and have access to the team and practices. The AAU coaches and influencers as well.
It’s a good trip for UK.

UK will make sure the Camden HS coaches - Billy Richmond- and team will have plenty of access along with the local AAU coaches and player influencers. Better players as well.

They will- hopefully- see the new UK style of offense plus the BBN along with all the favorable trappings of being a UK player. Bet Maxey is there.

All of those plus the high profile publicity adds up on young players.

Thiero is from up that way not to mention Edwards Wagner and Bradshaw. Shows the players UK cares.

Once a kid sees in person the UK environment they don’t forget it and Cal can sell it.

It’s a good trip for UK.

UK will make sure the Camden HS coaches - Billy Richmond- and team will have plenty of access along with the local AAU coaches and player influencers. Better players as well.

They will- hopefully- see the new UK style of offense plus the BBN along with all the favorable trappings of being a UK player. Bet Maxey is there.

All of those plus the high profile publicity adds up on young players.

Thiero is from up that way not to mention Edwards Wagner and Bradshaw. Shows the players UK cares.

Once a kid sees in person the UK environment they don’t forget it and Cal can sell it.
I imagine we will be the 1st game with NOVA and UCLA being the 2nd game. It will be a major pro Villanova crowd, who will also cheer for Penn and there will probably be some empty seats in the first half.

I doubt Maxey will be there as he will most likely be on the road in the NBA.

I think it's a fun game too, and I'm glad we could work it out for the guys from that area. I just think things like this have very little bearing on recruiting. We just disagree on that.

Exactly. This is a recruiting move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT