ADVERTISEMENT

UK schedule, and NCAA tourney....

CloverforkCat

Junior
Jun 3, 2013
Cats stand currently at 27-14 overall, and 9-9 in SEC play. They have 13 regular season games remaining, 12 in the SEC, and 1 OOC with Murray State in Paducah.
I believe a minimum of 7 wins, 6 in conference and a win over MSU, would get us to 34-20 overall, and 15-15 in conference play. This is somewhat likely given our SEC series with Ole Miss (home), Tennessee (away), Auburn (home), and finally at Georgia to close the regular season.
Win a game or 2 in the SEC tournament, get to 35 or 36 wins, might get us a regional host position. If things fall fight, and that does happen, we could be in line for our 1st ever Super regional.
Would like to get some feedback from UK baseball followers on how likely this scenario is to happen. TIA

I hate to sound like I have very little optimism, but as I recall UK does not strive under pressure. In years past when UK needed to win games they have failed to do so. I think it was 2006 when we needed to take just one game of our last series of the season and instead of doing so we got swept. Last year we could have really helped ourselves but in our last 4 series we went 2 of 10. It was a very tough stretch, but we lost 2 of 3 to Missouri and finished 11-19 in the SEC and 30-25 overall. The year before I really think we had the chance to play our way into hosting a regional, but we were swept by 7th seed Miss. State in the last series of the year and then lost to them in the SEC tournament. Anyway, I just don't have a lot of faith in our ability to close out the season.

In terms of who and what we have left...

Ole Miss: No pushover here. It won't be easy, but UK has played pretty well at home this season (17-6). They have yet to be swept so I have to imagine that worst case scenario they can take 1 of 3 from Ole Miss. That leaves us at 10-11.

Tennessee: UT is hard to put my finger on. I'll be at the games so hopefully that will help to play in our favor (haha). UT lost two of three to Auburn, but turned around and beat Vandy in 2 of 3, both at home. So, not sure which team will show up. I have to imagine that UK can take 2 of 3, but it won't be easy. I'll give us 12-12 at this point.

Auburn: Auburn has played a terrible schedule. They started off with Texas A&M, Missouri, and Tennessee and in those weekends they got most of their wins. Since then they have grabbed a couple from Bama and USC, but no series victories, and they were swept by Ole Miss. I think this being at UK favors us greatly and again, I have to imagine that UK gets two of three at worst. 14-13.

Georgia: This is the big one. Man, I don't like this being here. The good thing for UK is that Georgia's psyche should be entirely destroyed be the time we play them. They have the gauntlet of Vandy, Ole Miss, and USC before they have to play us, and they were just swept by Florida. Still, this is the type of series that I don't have confidence in. I'll be optimistic and give us the series here only because I think UGA will be reeling. So that makes us 16-14.

16-14 would have given us a 5 seed last year. I am not sure it will do the same this year because no teams have really separated themselves at the top or the bottom. Right now we are tied for 7th with Arkansas (actually I think they have the tiebreaker due to the Alabama series, so we'd be 8th). So, I think that we have to win as many games as possible to climb the ladder.

If we do that I think we can get a regional, but we need to be in the upper half of the SEC to ensure ourselves a regional. I can't imagine us getting one as the 7th or 8th seed in the SEC tournament, and we definitely won't get a super regional without some luck. Still, I think our schedule has to play in our favor (currently the 4th toughest). Should be fun down the stretch.

An Ole Miss fan who follows NCAA baseball very closely told me last weekend that the unspoken, general rule of thumb is that an SEC team needs to have 17 SEC W's to host. UK clearly has quite a bit of work to get there. Either needs to win every remaining series (2-1), or it could win two of the remaining series (2-1), sweep one (3-0), and lose one (1-2). It cannot afford to be swept or to lose more than one remaining series.

Originally posted by DubyaT:

An Ole Miss fan who follows NCAA baseball very closely told me last weekend that the unspoken, general rule of thumb is that an SEC team needs to have 17 SEC W's to host. UK clearly has quite a bit of work to get there. Either needs to win every remaining series (2-1), or it could win two of the remaining series (2-1), sweep one (3-0), and lose one (1-2). It cannot afford to be swept or to lose more than one remaining series.
OK...So Fla. and Ala. have 12 wins each with 6 teams at 9-10 wins with UK being one of those ,so it looks like a lot of teams have some business to take care...CB3...I am a little more optimistic than you because of the way UK can score runs...

With a 3-1 record against teams ranked #1 when they played them, a win over #5 Vandy, sweep of #9 Louisville, a series win over Florida, win over a very good Tenn. Tech team, a win over current SEC leader Alabama. Our tourney resume is hard to beat by anyone for that matter, barring a total collapse, we should be in fine shape.
Hosting a regional is a key to advancing IMO, if we are able to get that done, we have a great shot at a Super Regional appearance, unless we run into a red hot squad in the regional.

I understand the pessimism above. It's this time of year when UK baseball tends to fold. I liked what I saw on the road last weekend though. Would have been easy to collapse after blowing a series at home to the worst team in the league (mizzou).

I like UK to win 2 of 3 this weekend and at least 2 of 3 against auburn. I think it's the two road series that are tricky. Win at least one of them and avoid getting swept in the other and UK is in a good spot.

It's a shame that we didn't win the mizzou series and that we let those two games against bama slip away or we'd be sitting in 1st in the east right now. Still, we have a manageable schedule now so let's go win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT