ADVERTISEMENT

UK four game composite stats

The shot charts stand out that we aren’t building our entire offense around your 4 taking midrange jumpers.

Other than the occasional pull-up by a guard, you see the emphasis on paint or 3….as it should be.

Last few seasons it looked like birdshot peppered everywhere.

The shot charts stand out that we aren’t building our entire offense around your 4 taking midrange jumpers.

Other than the occasional pull-up by a guard, you see the emphasis on paint or 3….as it should be.

I do worry what happens when we don't hit the 3s

What really stood out to me was how so many players had so many assists. Very unselfish team. They stay this way it could be a very special season.
some of the passes I seen during the tournament I haven't seen us do in years.The unselfishness was unreal. Pass up a good shot for a great shot. I'm thinking our passing and getting to the rim will be elite.

Last edited:
I fo worry what happens when we don't hit the 3s

some of the passes I seen during the tournament I haven't seen us do in years.The unselfishness was unreal. Pass up a good shot for a great shot. I'm thinking our passing and getting to the rim will be elite.
Yes, it was very impressive watching that during the four games and I think you said it well.

Hope Edwards and Wagner can become more efficient offensively. We still need some guys to show they can score in the post reliably. I worry about a team with length and athleticism who can lock down our perimeter scorers. Love the unselfishness and defensive stats. Too bad we didn't get to see the two 7 footers. If we can get some shot blocking down low that gets us some defensively generated offense, that would make this team dangerous. Time will tell where this team can take us, but it was fun to watch!

If we aren’t hitting 3s, the answer isn’t more shots only a foot or 2 inside the 3pt line. Just have to attack w Edward, Thiero, Wagner trying to get to floater range or the rim…. Leaving Reeves/Shep and Mitchell ready to catch and shoot on the safety valve kick if help D drops down to stop penetration.

An emphasis on getting to the rim/freethrow line and getting open looks from 3 for your most consistent shooters is the answer to poor 3pt shooting. Drive and replace, kick, swing, drive and replace, rinse and repeat until you either get to the rim or one of the designated shooters gets a open look

Noway in hell did Reed deserve the 6th most mins and he still lead the team in assists. I like our whole team but Reed might be the most cerebral guy we have including Cal and we just look better when he's out there. Dilly struggled.

I see noway how Dilly can be ahead of Reed when the season starts unless he really improves but I worry this will be one of those Calisms.

So the best five offensively, based on those stats:

G Wagner
G Sheppard
G Reeves
G Edwards
F Mitchell

That might not be a bad combo defensively as well, if you press and double the post. Should be very disruptive, if they play aggressively.

I suspect Sheppard will be on the bench and one of our missing 5 men will be in there, though once they are healthy. Probably Bradshaw.

Difference in this team vs the ones we have had in the past are the number of capable 3 point shooters. Reeves obviously the best but Mitchell, edwards, shep, and wagner are all capable of shooting 35% (or better). Dillingham, after getting adjusted to speed of game, also very capable of hitting a decent %. That’s 6 of your 8 rotational players who you don’t mind taking those shots. Not sure we have ever had that under cal before.

Noway in hell did Reed deserve the 6th most mins and he still lead the team in assists. I like our whole team but Reed might be the most cerebral guy we have including Cal and we just look better when he's out there. Dilly struggled.

I see noway how Dilly can be ahead of Reed when the season starts unless he really improves but I worry this will be one of those Calisms.
He played the 3rd most mins of the guards behind DJ and Reeves. Dilly was last in mins of all players who played any meaningful time. It seems you got what you wanted. 😎

He played the 3rd most mins of the guards behind DJ and Reeves. Dilly was last in mins of all players who played any meaningful time. It seems you got what you wanted. 😎
Reed played the least minutes in the gold metal game outside of Joey Hart. Cmon man.

He had been playing great all tournament, first time he comes in that game 2 minutes left in a quarter and that was the second time he came in 2 minutes left in a quarter, sporadic usage.
Only 16 minutes he still shot fifty percent from the field but only took two shots but he did have five assists.

• Haha
Reactions: gharding07
Difference in this team vs the ones we have had in the past are the number of capable 3 point shooters. Reeves obviously the best but Mitchell, edwards, shep, and wagner are all capable of shooting 35% (or better). Dillingham, after getting adjusted to speed of game, also very capable of hitting a decent %. That’s 6 of your 8 rotational players who you don’t mind taking those shots. Not sure we have ever had that under cal before.
having 6 or 7 guys who can shoot 35% or better from 3 would be crazy . What if those same guys can beat u off the dribble too. Im going to slow down but its exciting to think about for now.

Reed played the least minutes in the gold metal game outside of Joey Hart. Cmon man.

He had been playing great all tournament, first time he comes in that game 2 minutes left in a quarter and that was the second time he came in 2 minutes left in a quarter, sporadic usage.
Only 16 minutes he still shot fifty percent from the field but only took two shots but he did have five assists.

I love Reed too, but he started out a turnover machine in that game. Still played a lot and did well. Not sure there is much to be upset about. 🙂
200.gif

Last edited:
Add Dante from Oregon as a grad transfer at the 5 to go with Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, and Mitchell and that might be the best starting five in the country. Three fifth year Seniors proven P5 level double digit scorers plus arguably the two best Freshmen in the country.

Then a great bench with Sheppard, Dillingham, Thiero, Bradshaw, and Onyenso.

Even if both Bradshaw and Onyenso are out a significant part of the season, we would have Burks as 9th man. That’s not a bad rotation.

Reactions: Jazzycat

I thought Shepherd could give UK good minutes this season because I knew he was much more than a shooter. In fact, I don’t think Shepherd was a great 3-pt. shooter in high school and he isn’t now. Instead, he’s a good basketball player (very good for a freshman) that makes plays that contribute to winning – which is what he did in high school. Even if you didn’t see him with his high school team, you could see it at the McDonald’s game.

But I figure some will continue to hang the 3-pt. shooter label around his neck like a collar and express surprise when he doesn’t shoot a super-high percentage this season. He’s going to be ok from behind the arc this season, but he’s going to develop into a really good 3 pt. shooter in time. Currently, he’s not in the same league as Reeves as a spot up 3-pt. shooter, and probably never will be. But he’s a much better basketball player than the so called “shooter” category some wanted to pigeon-hole him into. And that’s a good thing for UK. Because Shepherd is going to be a much better basketball player and have more impact on UK winning games than a “shooter.” Somewhere along the way as an upperclassman I think he will be All-conference (or better), and those are the kind of players you contend for a Title with.

I thought Shepherd could give UK good minutes this season because I knew he was much more than a shooter. In fact, I don’t think Shepherd was a great 3-pt. shooter in high school and he isn’t now. Instead, he’s a good basketball player (very good for a freshman) that makes plays that contribute to winning – which is what he did in high school. Even if you didn’t see him with his high school team, you could see it at the McDonald’s game.

But I figure some will continue to hang the 3-pt. shooter label around his neck like a collar and express surprise when he doesn’t shoot a super-high percentage this season. He’s going to be ok from behind the arc this season, but he’s going to develop into a really good 3 pt. shooter in time. Currently, he’s not in the same league as Reeves as a spot up 3-pt. shooter, and probably never will be. But he’s a much better basketball player than the so called “shooter” category some wanted to pigeon-hole him into. And that’s a good thing for UK. Because Shepherd is going to be a much better basketball player and have more impact on UK winning games than a “shooter.” Somewhere along the way as an upperclassman I think he will be All-conference (or better), and those are the kind of players you contend for a Title with.
Sheppard not Shepherd.

This is not like Tshiebwe or Thiero, where you get credit for being close.

The name Sheppard is legendary at UK. Two time champion. MOP of the Final Four in 1998.

Shame on you for not knowing how to spell the name.

Just busting your chops, bro. LOL!

Reactions: G-PIP

That is what stuck out to me as well.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Add Dante from Oregon as a grad transfer at the 5 to go with Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, and Mitchell and that might be the best starting five in the country. Three fifth year Seniors proven P5 level double digit scorers plus arguably the two best Freshmen in the country.

Then a great bench with Sheppard, Dillingham, Thiero, Bradshaw, and Onyenso.

Even if both Bradshaw and Onyenso are out a significant part of the season, we would have Burks as 9th man. That’s not a bad rotation.
I like it

Shot 40% from three his junior year and 39% his senior year

Sheppard not Shepherd.

This is not like Tshiebwe or Thiero, where you get credit for being close.

The name Sheppard is legendary at UK. Two time champion. MOP of the Final Four in 1998.

Shame on you for not knowing how to spell the name.

Just busting your chops, bro. LOL!
Ha. Thanks. I grew up with a number of families in Kentucky with a last name of Shepherd. So, I never even thought twice about the fact that I could be misspelling that last name. Goes to show it's dangerous to make assumptions.

Shot 40% from three his junior year and 39% his senior year
If those are accurate percentages then those are good numbers. I always heard that high school statistics were suspect. Did any of his teammates have similar shooting percentage from the high school 3 pt. distance? Regardless, he was obviously a good high school shooter. But the times I watched him I never felt like he was a guy that had to be played tight beyond the arc because of his shooting. I thought he was more dangerous driving and passing. We'll see what his 3-pt. % ends up being. But my point was he's going to be a darn good player - not just some driveway shooter - a real player that you can help build a foundation with.

If those are accurate percentages then those are good numbers. I always heard that high school statistics were suspect. Did any of his teammates have similar shooting percentage from the high school 3 pt. distance? Regardless, he was obviously a good high school shooter. But the times I watched him I never felt like he was a guy that had to be played tight beyond the arc because of his shooting. I thought he was more dangerous driving and passing. We'll see what his 3-pt. % ends up being. But my point was he's going to be a darn good player - not just some driveway shooter - a real player that you can help build a foundation with.
He’s a good shooter, but he is more than just a shooter. He impacts the game in a variety of ways.

Ha. Thanks. I grew up with a number of families in Kentucky with a last name of Shepherd. So, I never even thought twice about the fact that I could be misspelling that last name. Goes to show it's dangerous to make assumptions.
Yeah the Shepherds I grew up with spell their names that way too.

Reese, Mitchell and Burks with highest shooting %. Burks highest at almost 67%. Not bad. The freshmen play was good but the shooting of Reeves and Mitchell major part in winning the games. But it was the freshmen that put them in position to have those shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: davekersey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT