ADVERTISEMENT

UConn vs Purdue

They were the two best teams all season long. So it’s fitting that they should meet in the title game.

That rarely happens with the wild crapshoot that is this single elimination 68 team tournament format. But this year it did.

That’s what I has as well (had the correct two in the women’s bracket I filled out as I’m sure everyone did 😂), with UConn winning. However, due to only getting 3 of the correct Elite 8 teams made it impossible to catch up so I’ll finish third or fourth in the pool.

They were the two best teams all season long. So it’s fitting that they should meet in the title game.

That rarely happens with the wild crapshoot that is this single elimination 68 team tournament format. But this year it did.
Which other seasons did this happen? In my lifetime, I think it happened in 99, 05, 07, and 08. I guess 2021 as well?

UConn is better on paper, sure. But, to me, it's not by a huge amount. To me, it's what's driving them. Repeat vs redemption. I started off saying I liked Purdue in this tournament because I felt like they were a different team and had something to prove. I'm still taking Purdue.

I do love seeing the two best teams play for it. IMO, it's not often this sport sees it's best team as it's national champion.

Which other seasons did this happen? In my lifetime, I think it happened in 99, 05, 07, and 08. I guess 2021 as well?
I would agree with all of those. Definitely 99, 05, 07 and 08. And, yeah, 21 too, Baylor and that undefeated Gonzaga crew were a clear notch above everyone else that entire season. And, if you want to go further back, 82 and 79 also.

93 and 17 also featured matchups between two No. 1 seeds, but they weren’t the two best 1 seeds in the regular season. And there have also been a lot of 1 vs. 2 seed Finals that were close to it, but not quite.

I think it’s actually happened more in the final four semifinal game than in the final. The two best teams have oddly often seemed to end up on the same side of the final four bracket.

Last edited:

But, but, but parity...

Yeah, I would agree with all of those. Definitely 99, 05, 07 and 08. And, yeah, 21 too, Baylor and that undefeated Gonzaga crew were a clear notch above everyone else that entire season. And, if you want to further back, 82 and 79 also.

93 and 17 also featured matchups between two No. 1 seeds, but they weren’t the two best 1 seeds in the regular season. And there have alas been some 1 vs. 2 seed finals that were close but not quite.

I think it actually might have happened more in the final four semifinal game than the final. The two best teams have often seemed to end up on the same side of the final four bracket.
What a shame that the 96 semis had UK vs UMass on the same side while having to play the winner of a 4 vs 5 seed Syracuse vs Miss State. Did anyone doubt the title game? I didn’t.

Reactions: UK90
Don’t see how Purdue keeps up with them. Close for a while and then the usual cruise job for the Huskies..😣 they’ll have the trophy engraved with 10 mins to go.

I think UConn is too good against man to man defense. If you can play some type of match up zone without giving up too many 3’s to help eliminate so much off ball screens and back cutting you might have a better chance. Maybe Purdue is the team to do it. I hope so anyway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT