ADVERTISEMENT

Triple Crown spacing

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
The Derby needs to stay where it is. The Preakness should be tomorrow (Memorial Day Saturday). The Belmont should be 4th of July weekend.

Change my mind.

The Derby needs to stay where it is. The Preakness should be tomorrow (Memorial Day Saturday). The Belmont should be 4th of July weekend.

Change my mind.
No way The Preakness is sharing the same weekend with The Indy 500.

No Freaking Way.

The Triple Crown is supposed to be hard and nearly always takes a legendary horse to win it, and that is the way it should stay. Wish Flightline would have been ready to run earlier in his career, would have possibly pulled off the TC in 2021.

Of course, if Pharoah or Justify had run as an older horse, like Flightline did, who knows what they would have accomplished.

Reactions: Elbridge
Preakness is a dump, just drop it completely and have Derby, Belmont, and something out west in Santa Anita in August. Keeping it hard on the horses isn't something that is going to go over well in 2023, give them a break and maybe more of the same horses will participate in all 3.

While I'm at it, can we limit the Derby to 15 or 16 horse? That's still probably too many, but the absurdity of having 20 needs to stop.

I'm one of those rare KY guys that just doesn't care about horse racing, but from my pov, it seems the country only really cares about our race the first Saturday in May. I don't see anything wrong with spreading the races out just a bit more and making this a summer event of sorts. Besides, it seems either the horses are breaking down more now or the trainers are just deciding its best not competing in all three races, so it's the two after the Derby that are suffering the most.

Anyway, Churchill has bigger problems right now as it seems the track has turned into a death waltz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT