ADVERTISEMENT

Today’s Referee Gerry Pollard is Higgins’ Close Friend

The bac to back plays of the no call on Wallace and the "shooting" foul were both by the ref that looks 12, Burdette. Those along with the trash 4th on Toppin who was shutting Johnson down hurt big time. Toppin's also gave an 85% shooter 3 freebies. But read Tim Donaghy's book. They know how to do just that.

Pollard took it to us in the first half, and it feels like he handed it off to Burdette to close it out.

All that said, story was the 3 big time 3s K St hit late that we couldn't.

They were hitting layups, we wee shooting and mostly missing long 2s

What I noticed when they decided to call the game close and not let Kansas st. play the hack and grab defense we were able to extend our leads to 8 points. But when they decided to swallow whistles and let them hang off Oscar and grab, hack, and hold our guards on drives we lost those leads. The aggressive play neutralized any talent advantage we had. Plus pollard is just a shitty official.

Naw, you’re busy listening to radio hosts and conspiracy theories to realize Cow choked the game away when he had the lead dude .
Really random assumption. I'm not a Cal supporter. He's choked away a million games, I agree. Before 2017 and since.

Doesn't change that Higgins hates us and hates Cal and would still be manipulating our games if he hadn't been taken off of them.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Cal screams at the players nonstop, causing them to second guess themselves, lose confidence, and play frantically and out of control at times. He constantly berates the officials, almost daring them to make more bad calls against us. Referees are humans and obviously take it personally, in turn looking for every opportunity to get back at Cal.

All he has to do is sit down, shut up, get some shooters in here, play some zone, design some inbounds plays, run an actual offense, quit trying to be a philosopher at press conferences and answer a simple goddamn question, wear a suit once in a while, and embrace the fans who are the reason he makes this absurd amount of money. But no, he’d rather be a stubborn, arrogant asshole loser.

I've come to realize that it's not just refs gambling. They really just have it out to get Kentucky, and by that I mean Calipari ... I don't remember it being like this before Cal got here. It's like we have to be 15 points better to win some of these games... Cal just needs to go, I don't know why these refs hate him or have agenda's but we don't have anthony davis or karl towns anymore to be 15 points better to overcome refs trying to push spreads or points.

Reactions: awf
It only takes a few calls to change a game. Burdette ignoring Wallace being fouled followed by giving two free throws for a pass on much less contact is a 4-point swing. There was a three earlier in the game that they got three shots on and made two free throws where there was no contact either.

It only takes a few calls to change a game. Burdette ignoring Wallace being fouled followed by giving two free throws for a pass on much less contact is a 4-point swing. There was a three earlier in the game that they got three shots on and made two free throws where there was no contact either.
Yes. Anyone with eyes can see it. However there are couple in this thread that say these specific poor calls had no effect on the game. Of course these calls changed the game. Big time.

The bigger question is why is Cal constantly alienating himself from all these refs?

He's making it hard for us to win in March because he keeps cussing these guys down one side and up the other.

There's "wearing the black hat", and then there's willfully putting your team in a bad spot because you keep pissing off the referee fraternity. At this point, we have about 12 names on a list of refs who hate Cal.

Why is that?

We keep ignoring the freaking elephant in the room.
I have felt that since the Roofergate situation that the Cats have gotten screwed by the refs......sure those guys are friends...........and in my humble opinion........corrupt as hell..........They didn't like Cal and it showed but after that screwing we took and some of the fans went over the line.........it has gotten worse......

Considering the lawsuit Higgins had against KSR (I'm pretty sure UK and Cal were included in that) but any official that has any ties to Higgins shouldn't be allowed to officiate a UK game. It's questionable (especially if you look at some of Pollards antics) and just bad optics. It's the NCAA so anything stupid is on the table.

Reactions: YouKay
Lol you know if you post here. She trashed UK fans regularly
I guess I get it because I'm sure my daughters would stick up for me in that instance too but if they don't like to see their dad bashed they should probably have an anonymous social media account and not follow anything related to UK basketball.

I thought the no call on Wallace's drive to the basket was the most costly when we were up one. It all went to S after that. It was clearly a foul.
That was huge. Wallace goes to the line in the double bonus with a chance to put us up 3 with 3:21 to go. The game is different then.

Almost the same as the Wisconsin game with what was a shot clock violation. UK would have had the ball up 2 with 2:35 to go.

NCAA just doesn’t care about fairness or their own credibility to allow a ref with a grudge to referee a game against a coach he hates.

Reactions: YouKay
Sports gambling has effected sports of all kinds and not in a good way. From players shaving points to refs blowing calls it's amazing to me there's any credibility anymore. I mean when Vince McMahon wants to get WWE involved in sports betting you know it's corrupt. They make their living on fixing the outcomes of the matches.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
During today’s game (3/19/23 2nd Round of NCAA Tournament vs. Kansas State), this was observed:

In this article, the referee in question, Gerry Pollard, is described as a close friend of John Higgins.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...aa-tournament-experience-earnings/2866747001/
Here’s some excerpts,
“Pollard’s close friend, fellow NCAA veteran official John Higgins, sued Kentucky Sports Radio….
…Pollard has dealt with his share of incidents. Most of his stories, though, involve coaches.
In one game earlier in his career, he recalled a confrontation with then-Memphis coach John Calipari yelling obscenities at him….”

Interesting that he relayed this story complaining about Cal to the media and was still allowed to officiate a Cal-coached team.

Here’s Pollard’s record for UK games. Here’s the play-by-play. UK was up by 1 point with 2:39 to go.

**** anyone associated with that pos clown.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Some bad calls today but nothing that influenced the game to the point Kentucky can blame them for a loss. That game was there to be won. Let's face it, of the teams remaining in the Sweet 16, Kentucky played:

Alabama and was routed

Arkansas and split

Tennessee and Swept (most shocking and pleasing outcome of the year)

Gonzaga and lost

Michigan State and lost in a game that I still feel set the negative tone for the entire year. Just pissed a game away with several moronic mistakes.

UCLA and lost in a game they couldn't make shots-like today

Kansas State--just saw the same outcome which was painful to live through

9 games against the Sweet 16 field and you go 3-6. That's not acceptable at Kentucky. Nor is it a team that was going to do anything other than what we witnessed. Sloppy. Poorly coached in fundamentals. Couldn't make shots. Odd subbing that gave up momentum and points. This season mercifully came to an end for a very mediocre team. Happy that they made the NCAA's as it brings more interest to me to have a team in the field but this ending was fitting way to describe the team's disappointing season.
POORLY coached in fundamentals is 100% correct. It was amazing to watch and didn’t really get any better. Maybe a little, not much.

NCAA just doesn’t care about fairness or their own credibility to allow a ref with a grudge to referee a game against a coach he hates.

And he’s a Big 12 ref. They couldn’t find 3 guys from other conferences to call this game?

And don’t get me started about them letting Nowell get away with slamming the ball on the floor after he made two FTs or doing the shooting gesture at the UK bench. Both should have been techs with FTs to UK.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT