ADVERTISEMENT

This team is so much better…

Not an Oscar thing. It’s more of a “without Toppin, Brooks, Livingston etc types playing the 3 and 4 with an overemphasis on size and athleticism despite not having the complete skill set to be a 3. Combine that w a much improved complimenting backcourt to go with Reeves…

We have guys w basketball ability at every position this year. But Oscar surrounded by our current 1-4 would have been tough to beat as well as long as Cal didn’t try to play the game through feeding the post and just let O be the garbage man and clean the boards/run the middle of the floor.

Last edited:
Sure could have used his rebounding.... but I get the point the spacing is 100x better.

The issue really is that Oscar being on the team would of taken away the ability for our new guards to do damage. Not that he wouldn't of helped with UK biggest weakness.

Not an Oscar thing. It’s more of a “without Toppin, Brooks, Livingston etc types playing the 3 and 4 with an overemphasis on size and athleticism despite not having the complete skill set to be a 3.

We have guys w basketball ability at every position this year. But Oscar surrounded by our current 1-4 would have been tough to beat as well as long as Cal didn’t try to play the game through feeding the post and just let O be the garbage man and clean the boards/run the middle of the floor
Exactly. Has nothing to do with Oscar

Not an Oscar thing. It’s more of a “without Toppin, Brooks, Livingston etc types playing the 3 and 4 with an overemphasis on size and athleticism despite not having the complete skill set to be a 3.

We have guys w basketball ability at every position this year. But Oscar surrounded by our current 1-4 would have been tough to beat as well as long as Cal didn’t try to play the game through feeding the post and just let O be the garbage man and clean the boards/run the middle of the floor

Agree. Oscar may have thrived with this group and scored tons on offensive rebounds. I doubt even Cal would have made Oscar the focus of the offense with this group. Not blaming Oscar for anything, he played hard here.

I don't know how anyone can be proclaiming Oscar as a problem. What a bunch of sad pitiful ingrates folks like the OP sound like when they talk shit about a guy who was NPOY and a two time All American for us.

If we're better this year, it'll be because of the improved guard and wing play ...it'll have nothing to do with losing Oscar.

Good to see OP wasn't just a "drive by"... he is really defending his position. Kudos

Can we not take shots at one of the best players in school history. Oscar had to play with a pg who couldn’t shoot most the time and two forwards who couldn’t shoot. Oscar was great here and I will miss him. But this team is different and let’s enjoy them without taking shots at Oscar

Last edited:
These newcomers are fun to watch. With the late addition of Mitchell and the return of Reeves, Ugo, and Thiero we have a great combination of talent and abilities.

For some posters it just takes effort, but it's really not that difficult.

Let’s not forget that both our bigs were out for these games . No one knows how this team will play when we have our entire roster. I suspect it will be closer to last year than many on here will like .

And so much more fun to watch without Oscar.
Definitely. It was hard to watch Oscar sometimes. It was completely his fault but he just lacked a lot of skill and athleticism. His personality also seemed to wear on the other guys which in turn made the games less fun because there wasn't a ton of chemistry.

What a garbage thread started by the OP. Gotta get their digs in against a former POY at UK I guess. Let's revisit this subject when we're struggling to compete o the boards against some real talent. Unbelievable.

Has more to do with PG than Oscar.

We have 3 PGs who are better than anyone Cal has had since Fox.

SGA deferred PG duties to the guy that ran off to Washington whose name is escaping me at the moment. , Maxey and Quickley played off the ball more with Hagans as the PG.

Oscar would have been a BEAST with these guards

Reactions: RunninRichie
Oscar would be a welcome addition to this team.

This group was/will be fun to watch. Edwards, Wagner and Reeves look very good. Shepard, Thiero and Mitchell can hold their own against most anyone.

We played well in Canada against mid major competition(better than the competition in the Bahamas) it wasn't the competition we will face for most of the regular season.

Who will we have to play the 5 ?

Dillingham has a ways to go, ball security with both him and Wagner is a work in progress.

A physical team will be a problem for this group

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT