ADVERTISEMENT

Adou is entering the portal

He would have been the most experienced possible returnee. Guess there's still a chance he comes back, but Cal's last dance ain't off to a good start so far

Reactions: sambowieshin
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Thiero played only seven minutes in the NCAA Tournament against Oakland, a game that Kentucky lost 80-76.
I don't think he ever fully recovered from his back injury. Anytime they showed him on the sideline he had something wrapped around him. I feel that really hurt his playing time down the stretch.

Loved the way this kid plaayed, never was the most taken kid on the court, but always was the most active and hardest playing kid.

Hopefully he dips his toes in the portal and returns, but whoever gets him is getting a great player imo.

Reactions: dl51344 and chroix
Way to go Calipari.. you said we'd be shocked about who comes back. Unfortunately, I misunderstood what you meant. Ugh ugh puke puke..

Pilgrim said last night, there would be a bidding war for him. Maybe they are just trying to get more money out of UK???
I'm guessing Thiero wants some guarantees instead of empty promises.

Sounds like our basketball NIL person (people) have really dropped the ball the last couple of years. We can debate all day how much the Reeves, Wheelers, Toppins, Thiero's, should get in NIL. The bigger issue is them not receiving what they were promised.

I do NOT want to lose Thiero! But, the bigger issue is that I want NIL to be fixed! It's the only way to remain a top program moving ahead.

This one hurts. I really, really liked Thiero. Someone is gonna get a baller. IMO, he's not even close to his ceiling, even after noticeable improvement. We haven't heard the last of this guy.
He'll go somewhere that a coach actually TEACHES PLAYS and he'll have wide open looks, and not have to deal with this pack-it-in defense while the guards stand around the perimeter.

I hate to see this but after Cal only played him 7 minutes against Oakland you can't blame him.
He injured his shoulder. Seems to be injury prone. Missed a lot.
Hate to see anyone leave but he wasn’t an offensive threat.
Played hard. But if he doesn’t want to compete for a spot I hope he lands somewhere with guaranteed minutes.

I’m sure most on this board will conveniently forget how terrible he was treated while he was injured. Cal could certainly put some of that to bed by being more clear about what is happening with injuries, but that isn’t always possible. Either way, that’s a real blow.
His father is pissed about it.

The combination NIL money and ending transfer restrictions is making a mockery of the entire sport.

Everyone’s a free agent for sale every year now. What a mess.
I agree with you. But, our bigger problem is not what is or is not allowed. Our biggest problem is that we're not doing NIL well and it will be impossible to remain a top program without succeeding with NIL.

UK basketball should be able to do NIL the way Ala football does NIL. We don't have to offer the most money. The program attracts good players. However, NIL CANNOT be a clown show! Players not receiving what they were promised is a sure way to lose the trust of players and parents/guardians.

UK basketball needs to get NIL fixed and get it fixed fast!

Reactions: catben and chroix
Way to go Calipari.. you said we'd be shocked about who comes back. Unfortunately, I misunderstood what you meant. Ugh ugh puke puke..

Pilgrim said last night, there would be a bidding war for him. Maybe they are just trying to get more money out of UK???
You have to read what he says carefully. Most of it says nothing. Saying we'd be shocked by who comes back could just as well mean we'd be shocked when nobody comes back.

Reactions: dl51344
Even worse than NBA free agency, at least there are some rules around that. Free for all in NCAA.
This X1000. All college athletes are now is hired mercenaries that will jump from team to team until they either graduate or get drafted. When you have guys who have played for 4 or 5 teams by the time they graduate something is wrong. I get being able to transfer but it shouldn't be an unlimited number of times.

Last edited:
Loved the way this kid plaayed, never was the most taken kid on the court, but always was the most active and hardest playing kid.

Hopefully he dips his toes in the portal and returns, but whoever gets him is getting a great player imo.

That would be great. In my book the kid has earned a starting role. Would love to see him change his mind and come back.

Edit: I know he started but he didn’t really play traditional starters minutes. That’s what I’m getting at.

Last edited:
This X1000. All college athletes are now is hired mercenaries that will jump from team to team until they either graduate or get drafted. When you have guys who have played for 4 or 5 teams by the time they graduate something is wrong. I get being able to transfer but it should be an unlimited number of times.
Go ahead and pull the band aid off and make em paid employees with contracts... Lock em in. It's gonna go that way before long anyway. They'll collectively bargain for a portion of that billion dollars they bring in for the NCAAT. NIL is nice, but it doesn't solve the problem of the amount of profit the athletes bring to the schools/conferences.

He injured his shoulder. Seems to be injury prone. Missed a lot.
Hate to see anyone leave but he wasn’t an offensive threat.
Played hard. But if he doesn’t want to compete for a spot I hope he lands somewhere with guaranteed minutes.
You mean guaranteed minutes like 5 ⭐️ favorites at UK? There is no competing for minutes when Cal has his favorites.

Thiero is a good player that I think will be a great player before leaving college.

It will be interesting to see if he returns to UK. Unfortunately, I think entering the portal is the best way for the Thiero's of the world to get the most NIL$. This may have everything to do with basketball and nothing to do with money. However, I don't think that's the case (no inside info). Entering the portal causes schools to have to pony up if they want to keep a player.

It's obvious NIL was a trainwreck at UK over the last couple of years. Getting Theiro back is as important as any transfer we could bring in from another school!
The coaching staff seems to be screwing players over when it comes to NIL, by not doing their jobs. Cal and this staff have to be one of the dumbest D-1 staffs ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT