ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero 3 Attempts

There is a reason they leave him wide open.......
Funny thing is he came in shooting better than Edwards, Wagner, and Mitchell. On far less attempts, though. I can live with him taking a couple, maybe just not in the spots that he took them. If he can hit 33-38% he not only makes himself into a first-round pick, but also gives the team a huge lift.

I don't mind him taking a 3 or 2 a game, especially if he is wide the eff open or late shot clock scenario.

If he is wide open and instead decides to drive it, there's a good chance he is taking the ball into a crowd where he has to take a contested 2 or in a position to turn it over.

Reactions: Aike
We have several players who drive the ball ( Thiero included) who rarely look to throw the ball out to a wing when there isn't a clear path to the basket and they end throwing up a wild shot.
And Reeves or Reed is standing there wide open for a three once they draw the defense. It makes no sense.

We have several players who drive the ball ( Thiero included) who rarely look to throw the ball out to a wing when there isn't a clear path to the basket and they end throwing up a wild shot.
And Reeves or Reed is standing there wide open for a three once they draw the defense. It makes no sense.
Really strange take. Both of Thiero’s assists were three point makes, off of penetration. I think the dude is pretty solid at probing and kicking it out when it isn’t there. He’s also quite good at attacking on the baseline, then dishing to top of the key.

I love Thiero and feel he is giving us 100% at all times busting his ass off but I cringe every time he shoots a 3 and chucks one up inside forcing it at the rim. Offensively he is limited, a straight-line drive dunk for Thiero is about it with an occasional 3. They need his presence in the lineup grabbing rebounds and even came up with 4 blocks vs LSU. Still a lot of room to grow in his game and the kind of player Kentucky needs sticking around for another year. Needs to do some dribbling drills and become a more polished offensive player.

He drives too much without finishing. He’s a great player, but like Lineski said, he needs to play to his strengths.
I mentioned this in another thread, when this happens it's usually because we have only 1 shooter on the floor and the defense is sagging into the paint. When Thiero is playing with 2 or 3 shooters he can beat his man and get to the rim. Playing Ugo a ton has hurt this too because his man can sag back to defend the paint, but Bradshaw has been terrible and Mitchell hurt and Z just completely lost on defense. If we play Thiero and Ugo with our 3 shooting/scoring guards, Thiero has space to play his game and can do a ton of damage.

Thiero has been driving wildly into a packed lane often and throwing up awful shots leading to wasted possessions. He just needs to rebound like he does, finish lobs, and occasionally drive if he has a good path to the basket. Thiero is extremely important to this team.

This is my rank on current players attempting 3’s…
1a.Reeves
1b. Shep
1c. Dillingham
2. Big Z
3. Mitchell
4. Thiero
5. Edwards
6. Bradshaw
7. Burks
8. Wagner
9. Ugo

For every 3 Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw attempt, I’d be cool with Thiero taking 2! The dude’s stroke will eventually come!

I haven't watched much of UConn this year but in their recent loss, I saw them doing the same thing. They were just throwing the ball up hoping it might go in.

1a.Reeves
1b. Shep
1c. Dillingham
2. Big Z
3. Mitchell
4. Thiero
5. Edwards
6. Bradshaw
7. Burks
8. Wagner
9. Ugo

For every 3 Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw attempt, I’d be cool with Thiero taking 2! The dude’s stroke will eventually come!
Edwards went 3-4 from deep last game hes getting much better. To have Theiro above him is just goofy

LSU dared Thiero to shoot and both of his wide open attempts were never close. Even if he doesn't shoot them, he hurts our spacing when opponents sag off him. He has a lot of work to do on his offensive game.

Thiero and Wagner both need to watch tape of Darius Miller and learn the fine art of the top of the lane jumper...much higher pct shot.

Neither need to be launching triples.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I
1a.Reeves
1b. Shep
1c. Dillingham
2. Big Z
3. Mitchell
4. Thiero
5. Edwards
6. Bradshaw
7. Burks
8. Wagner
9. Ugo

For every 3 Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw attempt, I’d be cool with Thiero taking 2! The dude’s stroke will eventually come
I wouldn't put Z that high but only due to the small sample size, which is a whole other conversation.

Funny thing is he came in shooting better than Edwards, Wagner, and Mitchell. On far less attempts, though. I can live with him taking a couple, maybe just not in the spots that he took them. If he can hit 33-38% he not only makes himself into a first-round pick, but also gives the team a huge lift.
We only have 3 guys that should have the green light on almost any 3. If he played more, maybe Z could be a 4th.
The rest (Mitchell, Edwards, Wagner, Theiro, Bradshaw) should ONLY shoot one if they are WIDE OPEN! And even then only if no other good shots are opening up, so definitely not in the first 20 seconds of the shot clock (unless they have already hit one in that game).
The 3 R's have 3 of the top 5 UK 3pt %'s during the 2000's (the other 2 both belong to Lamb).

Sheppard 50.9%
Lamb 48.6%
Lamb 46.6%
Dillingham 44.5%
Reeves 44.4%
Miller 44.3%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT