ADVERTISEMENT

They say that Vandy has #1 recruiting class. Help me understand this

RogerIndy

Sophomore
Sep 2, 2002
Baseball only gets 12.5 scholarships. So most of the players are paying part or all of their expenses. Vanderbilt, being the only private school in the SEC, is a lot more expensive than any other school in the conference. I can see that some of the Vandy boys are from families of means, but others are not. How can so many kids go there knowing that it will cost their families a lot more than it will to go to other baseball powerhouse schools like Miss State, LSU, Florida, etc?

Baseball only gets 12.5 scholarships. So most of the players are paying part or all of their expenses. Vanderbilt, being the only private school in the SEC, is a lot more expensive than any other school in the conference. I can see that some of the Vandy boys are from families of means, but others are not. How can so many kids go there knowing that it will cost their families a lot more than it will to go to other baseball powerhouse schools like Miss State, LSU, Florida, etc?

The easy answer is Vandy offers a lot more scholarships based on academics than other schools. There was a discussion in another thread on here that explained it really well.

It’s not based on academics... it is deemed “need based” and when you are a private school, you can give any need based assistance above the state limits.... and it isn’t 12.5 it is 11.7

So say you go to UK, the need based money is set to where for example if the family makes less than $75,000 you can give the kids money... at Vandy and other Private universities, they can set the need based to if your family income is less than $250,000 they can give you money

Well, I heard somewhere a few years ago, that at Harvard, if you can get accepted, and your family income is less than $50k, your tuition is zero. That 50k limit is probably higher by now. That is because Harvard has such a large endowment. Of course this is available to all students, not just athletes. Vandy probably has a similar program for low income students. According to something I found on the internet, Vandy has the 24th largest endowment, $4.6 billion in 2018, #1 is Harvard at $38.3 billion.

Vandy also supplements athletic schollys with academic schollys. For example, if a kid is offered 1/2 baseball scholarship, they then can supplement that with an academic scholarship if the kid qualifies.

Vandy also supplements athletic schollys with academic schollys. For example, if a kid is offered 1/2 baseball scholarship, they then can supplement that with an academic scholarship if the kid qualifies.

Right, but my point is, that this academic scholarship is something that is also available to a non-athlete who comes from a similar financial background. To do otherwise would be an NCAA violation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT