ADVERTISEMENT

These are good wins

Dec 28, 2014
Sure we probably shouldnt be going down to the wire (let alone double overtime) with these teams, but games like these really show that we are capable of performing in crunch time (even without 3 of our best players) and will help us more than the blowouts

Yeah. I hate this sentiment. It's just justifying horrible play. And the fact is that we've played terrible the last 3 games and should not be undefeated.

Very much the opposite. Think it sends a message to the team they don't have to give their best effort against inferior competition and still come out with the win. Great to have close games with good teams but A&M is not one if the schools.

Originally posted by kats23:
Very much the opposite. Think it sends a message to the team they don't have to give their best effort against inferior competition and still come out with the win. Great to have close games with good teams but A&M is not one if the schools.
I think Cal wanted to see us have to grind out some tough wins, but I kind of agree with this. We came out sleeping, managed to still pull it out. Kind of sends the message, of yep, we're really good. We played like crap for 40, and still took it in OT.

Every team is different. But, I think teams loaded with talent respond more to losing than to almost losing.

agree with OP. very hard on the fans AND the coach....but Ulis' 3-pointer and Lyles and Johnson's clutch free throws at the end, were EPIC!

This is the type of stuff you have to deal with in March. getting it in January is a bonus.

Originally posted by kats23:
Great to have close games with good teams but A&M is not one if the schools.
they won't play that inspired a game the rest of the season, i guarentee it. same with Ole Miss.
and it'll be that way all conference play, every team. the SEC may not be a basketball power, but they certainly do a great job of preparing Kentucky for the NCAA tournament. every team plays about 8 levels above their actual level when it's us.

I like blowouts because they show that you are playing your best, but this can be good for a young team. Lyles was put in an extremely tough spot the last two games. Against Ole Miss he kind of choked. Today, he choked again. He got another chance and he put in two free throws to send us to overtime and then he went to work and took over in overtime to help us win. He grew up in a matter of minutes. Now his confidence can grow and if he is needed again, when it matters more, he will know that he can do it and we will know that he can do it for us. That is a good thing. Today we had two freshmen step up in double overtime and take over to help us win. Dakari also stepped up. They haven't been in these situations a whole lot, and to be in them to be prepared for the future is not a bad thing. That being said, I am hoping that we get into the NCAA tournament and we play our best basketball and walk through everyone and don't need this in game practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT