ADVERTISEMENT

The Malcontention of Our Fans (Including Me)

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
I’ll be the first to say I’m guilty of this; I’ve been disappointed at us reaching lower into the star-rankings for kids while simultaneously griping that we need a couple of guys that are here for more than one year (i.e. Epps, Miller, Patterson, Willis ) to mix with the incoming 5* freshman. I’ve been astonished at us trying to get kids that have committed to Mississippi State and other unremarkable schools.

Maybe I’ve been too entitled-feeling or just can’t be satisfied? Maybe this is the year that grabbing a couple of these kids provides what we’ve been needing, rather than lamenting on the misses of higher-ranked, over-confident (ie Livingston, Whitney) kids. This team will be loaded anyway, but would love to find a couple of kids that are going to be “merely”really good college players and nothing beyond that. Who could turn out to be more like a Ricky Council from Arkansas rather than a Lance Ware skil-wise? If we find those 2 is there a chance that we make a jump to returning towards our former selves? The other teams seem to find them. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Fat ass is forever stuck in the 90's...

CuDtkwy.png

They’re not mad that we’re adding 3 stars if the 3 stars were here to stay, develop, and play later. That’s fine, but they’re here to flex tape a hole on our boat, and the entire collective of the fanbase knows this roster isn’t going to cut it and these 3 stars aren’t building pieces, they’re play now pieces, that ironically are probably going to transfer out after a year.

I’ll be the first to say I’m guilty of this; I’ve been disappointed at us reaching lower into the star-rankings for kids while simultaneously griping that we need a couple of guys that are here for more than one year (i.e. Epps, Miller, Patterson, Willis ) to mix with the incoming 5* freshman. I’ve been astonished at us trying to get kids that have committed to Mississippi State and other unremarkable schools.

Maybe I’ve been too entitled-feeling or just can’t be satisfied? Maybe this is the year that grabbing a couple of these kids provides what we’ve been needing, rather than lamenting on the misses of higher-ranked, over-confident (ie Livingston, Whitney) kids. This team will be loaded anyway, but would love to find a couple of kids that are going to be “merely”really good college players and nothing beyond that. Who could turn out to be more like a Ricky Council from Arkansas rather than a Lance Ware skil-wise? If we find those 2 is there a chance that we make a jump to returning towards our former selves? The other teams seem to find them. Thoughts?
Rankings don't mean jack to me anymore. Sure there have been plenty of five stars that have been studs. But there were more who were bust, skal, Okafor, Alexander. Jimmy butler was a 2 star. Curry was a 3. Lillard was ranked 214th in his class. Hard work beats talent when it refuses to work hard.

The time for focus, worrying or conversation about 5* players has passed. We have 7 scholarship players, we are at the point of walk-ons playing significant minutes in Canada. Any kid who wants to come here we take and be glad we have him. I think there is better than a 90% chance we get a commitment in the next 48 hours. We need at least 3 more players. How we got to this point we can debate all day long, but the fact is this is where we are. Cal is the lead dog in this dog and pony show. We have 5 highly rated incoming players but they can't play 200 minutes a game no matter how good they are. It doesn't matter if we are UK or Podunk U we don't have enough players to get thru a college basketball season.

Do we get 3 more players by July 1?

If you listened to MJ's discussion it is much more than recruiting. Cal has apparently burnt his relationships with key people at Kentucky, boosters, other hierarchy, and has gone into silent mode.

Being the head coach at Kentucky is an extremely well paid role that includes but is not limited to the team's performance. I found it equally interesting that all the videos of the new players coming to the lodge had Chin or other coaches welcoming and Cal was nowhere in site. Now that may be how it always was done in the past but this isn't the past. MJ also pointed out how Cal had no idea what some of the players not returning had with their intentions. That spells troubled relationships which would explain the lack of relationship guys like Reeves and others seem to have with the program.

We're not okay at lowering the standards. We're not entitled, this is UK. We've earned that legacy. This team is not loaded. Even with two more players, this roster is not returning to the glory days under Cal or Pitino. The other teams don't seem to find them, they have coaches and a culture kids want to play and envision developing under. This is no mystery or good excuse for what's been happening at UK.

Setting aside the current issues with the basketball program for a moment, the only question I have is: when did “malcontention” become a word?

We have a fantastic team for next season.

All we need is practice players and we will add them.

I don’t blame a marginal player for not coming here.

Like Reeves. He’s a practice player that thinks he’s a starter.

If you listened to MJ's discussion it is much more than recruiting. Cal has apparently burnt his relationships with key people at Kentucky, boosters, other hierarchy, and has gone into silent mode.

Being the head coach at Kentucky is an extremely well paid role that includes but is not limited to the team's performance. I found it equally interesting that all the videos of the new players coming to the lodge had Chin or other coaches welcoming and Cal was nowhere in site. Now that may be how it always was done in the past but this isn't the past. MJ also pointed out how Cal had no idea what some of the players not returning had with their intentions. That spells troubled relationships which would explain the lack of relationship guys like Reeves and others seem to have with the program.
I had a business associate that was on a Kansas final four team. He said in recruiting the players always talked among themselves as to whether the head coach had recruited them or an assistant. My guess is same is true for other parts of the relationship once they reach campus .

It is all about winning. Bear Bryant once said "when you win your enemies can't hurt you" and "when you lose your friends can't help you". Well Cal has been losing a lot lately especially for all of the $$$$$$ he makes.

I'm not at all disappointed that we are adding these last few kids and their rankings, in fact I'm fired up about them. I'm disappointed with the state of this program interms of player retention. The fact that the University of Kentucky is having a hard time keeping players is beyond ridiculous and an indictment on Coach Cal.

It is all about winning. Bear Bryant once said "when you win your enemies can't hurt you" and "when you lose your friends can't help you". Well Cal has been losing a lot lately especially for all of the $$$$$$ he makes.
That's a quote worth remembering.

I'm lost on this post.

I mean we took Thiero almost as a legacy and he looks to have a lot of potential and thank God he is a multi year player. But until Burks signed, a 3 star recruit was extremely rare for Cal.

Whatever issues anyone has with Cal, I have a hard time accepting that recruiting rankings is one of them. Not filling all the spots, or not getting some beef to go with all the gazelles ....... there are cases to be at least argued there. But rankings quality? I can't wrap mind head around that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT