ADVERTISEMENT

The Dreaded Sports Doldrums.

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
Well, with the elimination of UK baseball yesterday, the end of the NBA season, and coming closer to the MLB All Star Break, we've come to the point in the year where sports have kinda slowed up a bit. Not to mention it's going to be hotter than crap this weekend. I just wanted to kinda discuss how you all handle the sport doldrums.

I like to be outdoors a bit, but not when it's so oppressive you can't complete a thought. And the bugs going bonkers.

I like to game a bit (currently going back in Elden RIng) and also just do a little house work.

I spend some extra time on my aqauriums. Mostly American cichlids. Breeding some stunning Honduran Red Points right now, as well as some Moanda jewel cichlids (only African cichlids I have)

Try do some hiking, cause running in this type of heat simply sucks. Def get some bass and crappie hooked up!

Not much of a gamer, but I occasionally get into one for a few days. I always come back to RISK though.

Reactions: bbncal02
It's a nice break honestly. Especially if you're into fantasy football, which for many, takes up more time and energy than simply watching your teams play. Come end of summer/early fall, I'll have NFL, college football, college basketball, NBA and 3 different fantasy leagues to manage and partake in. That's a lot all at once.

Well, with the elimination of UK baseball yesterday, the end of the NBA season, and coming closer to the MLB All Star Break, we've come to the point in the year where sports have kinda slowed up a bit. Not to mention it's going to be hotter than crap this weekend. I just wanted to kinda discuss how you all handle the sport doldrums.

I like to be outdoors a bit, but not when it's so oppressive you can't complete a thought. And the bugs going bonkers.

I like to game a bit (currently going back in Elden RIng) and also just do a little house work.

Do what I did when I was a kid. Find yourself a Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia (1949). And, starting with Aachen, read it straight through to Zygotes. Since this is over 70 years later, the picture of the Venus de Milo probably won't hold you up the way it did me.

Reactions: J_Dee
Not much of a gamer, but I occasionally get into one for a few days. I always come back to RISK though.
sgmi4mpdrvk81.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SemperFiCat
I’ve bought some nice camping equipment and gonna start hittin the bush with the kids more. More of glamorous camping (glamping) than the real thing being it’s equipped with a projector screen long air tent furniture and all, but I’m also investing in a really nice telescope to do some tracking and whatnot. The older I’ve gotten the less I even care about sports at this point. Since the athletes don’t care it makes it harder for me to care. Id rather be glampin with the kids. Im in my 30’s now and part of the New Balance era, so maybe I just suck. I still use words like Krunk too, which I’m told not to do by a 10 year old and friends in their 20’s.

Of course when UK basketball kicks up I’m sure I’ll become a savage animal calling for Popes head by week 8.

I’ve bought some nice camping equipment and gonna start hittin the bush with the kids more. More of glamorous camping (glamping) than the real thing being it’s equipped with a projector screen long air tent furniture and all, but I’m also investing in a really nice telescope to do some tracking and whatnot. The older I’ve gotten the less I even care about sports at this point. Since the athletes don’t care it makes it harder for me to care. Id rather be glampin with the kids. Im in my 30’s now and part of the New Balance era, so maybe I just suck. I still use words like Krunk too, which I’m told not to do by a 10 year old.

Of course when UK basketball kicks up I’m sure I’ll become a savage animal calling for Popes head by week 8.
Nerd

Reactions: Killswitch24
At least I’m not sittin in a home office screamin WHOS IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT!!! Like dudes in their early 50’s. Could be worse.
I agree with you on pro sports. Hard to watch the NBA. Nobody cares, guys will leave if it means more money. No rivalries. Everyone is friends with each other. The real rivalry is ''them'' vs the fans.

The college game is a few rule changes away from really overtaking the NBA, imo.

Most casuals won't watch college basketball. They think it's boring or whatever. Would rather watch 3's and dunks and ''analytical basketball'. Where a player will come out and say ''**** the fans''. Weird, but ok.

This is when I get caught up on movies and TV series. I am looking forward to the Olympics next month. UK women will be well represented there with Sydney, Abby and Avery Skinner all competing that I know of. I guess Abby Steiner isn't a sure thing to qualify though.

Have you become familiar with Caitlin Clark yet? 🤣

I agree with you on pro sports. Hard to watch the NBA. Nobody cares, guys will leave if it means more money. No rivalries. Everyone is friends with each other. The real rivalry is ''them'' vs the fans.

The college game is a few rule changes away from really overtaking the NBA, imo.

Most casuals won't watch college basketball. They think it's boring or whatever. Would rather watch 3's and dunks and ''analytical basketball'. Where a player will come out and say ''**** the fans''. Weird, but ok.
I don't understand why CBB is considered the nerd sport. I've always considered baseball that (and I like it don't get me wrong). But there are dudes that track stats in that sport like it's their only reason for existing. They seem to get so in the weeds that they lose track of the game. To each his own, but it's a little wild to me.

Reactions: RunninRichie
This is when I get caught up on movies and TV series. I am looking forward to the Olympics next month. UK women will be well represented there with Sydney, Abby and Avery Skinner all competing that I know of. I guess Abby Steiner isn't a sure thing to qualify though.
Yeah thank goodness for the Olympics. July is usually the absolute worse. You've got baseball, but if your team is struggling and/or out of playoff contention, it's like watching a wounded dog suffer. You just pray for it to be over.

Reactions: chroix
I don't understand why CBB is considered the nerd sport. I've always considered baseball that (and I like it don't get me wrong). But there are dudes that track stats in that sport like it's their only reason for existing. They seem to get so in the weeds that they lose track of the game. To each his own, but it's a little wild to me.
It's mostly the NBA. That's why the midrange jumper is gone. It's mathematically the worst shot in basketball. So everything is divided nto high percentage shots. Which is dunks and corner threes.

UFC is on a couple times a month. The major golf tournaments are always fun, too. Can’t ever get behind MLB

Summertime is usually my lake/golf season for obvious reasons. There’s a lot you can do outside to keep yourself busy as opposed to being stuck inside during the winter

Just relax and read. I'm a big kindle reader with fiction and also non-fiction (true crime and military history).

I'm off this week and haven't done much of anything but r and r and read and watch a little college baseball.

Its been ok/different but there is a reason I usually book a cruise or vacation somewhere when off a whole week.

I agree with the Olympics watchers. I go straight geek during the Olympics. Always been captivated by them. And it's not just Team USA, it's all of it.
I always think it's surreal Hitler was at the olympics. Nazi armband at all. It's eerie to think, some of the people in that crowd would be killed by him. Or fighting against him in just 4 years.

I always think it's surreal Hitler was at the olympics. Nazi armband at all. It's eerie to think, some of the people in that crowd would be killed by him. Or fighting against him in just 4 years.
It was delusion. We didn't want to believe a second great war would happen and that "Well, this Hitler dude is a little bit dictatorial, but maybe it will work out...."

Wild moment in history. But one where the Father proved what was right. Jesse Owens went over there and told the "perfect race" to shove it. I always think on that when I feel like evil is winning. Even if it does, right prevails in the end.

It was delusion. We didn't want to believe a second great war would happen and that "Well, this Hitler dude is a little bit dictatorial, but maybe it will work out...."

Wild moment in history. But one where the Father proved what was right. Jesse Owens went over there and told the "perfect race" to shove it. I always think on that when I feel like evil is winning. Even if it does, right prevails in the end.
That's a pretty good and right on par with Iceland going into the third period with a big lead over Team USA after beating them 12-1 earlier in the Junior Olympic Hockey Games.

mighty-ducks-d2-team-usa-vs-team-iceland-header.jpg

d2-the-mighty-ducks-team-iceland.jpg

PC/PS5. Maintaining my calorie defecit. Walking an hour a day.
PS5 will be my go-to as well. I’ll be buying the new NCAA 25 game but will probably manually update my Madden 24 game (simulate actual ‘23 results, direct real-life free agents and rookie draft picks to their actual teams, etc.) over the next few weeks. Takes about a month but allows me to learn the teams since modern day players are always on the move, lol.

USA is in the group of eight in the Cricket T20 World Cup hosted by the USA. They are doing well.

PS5 will be my go-to as well. I’ll be buying the new NCAA 25 game but will probably manually update my Madden 24 game (simulate actual ‘23 results, direct real-life free agents and rookie draft picks to their actual teams, etc.) over the next few weeks. Takes about a month but allows me to learn the teams since modern day players are always on the move, lol.
Yeah I got a PS5 pretty much for NCAA 25. Might even get an Xbox (started out gaming on Xbox). To play old Call of dutys. But I don't really have a need for an Xbox since I have a PC. As all their games to PC day one.

No doldrums for me.

* TBT
* NBA Summer League
* Olympics
* MLB and some minor league games to attend.
* The NFL camps open in 4 weeks
* College football camps start the 1st week of August.
* High school football starts the 2nd week of August.

From the end of the NBA season to NfL preseason, I pass time by:

Traveling with my wife. Much easier to do when there’s no games to plan around.

Play more video games.

Kayaking/fishing/camping

And my guiltiest pleasure - watching pro wrestling - yes, I know the outcomes are predetermined but it’s a “sport” that “plays” 52 weeks a year and is entertaining in either a “that was cool” or “WTF was that?” Kind of way

I agree with the Olympics watchers. I go straight geek during the Olympics. Always been captivated by them. And it's not just Team USA, it's all of it.
One thing the USA has gotten right over the years is the spirit of the Olympics. I loved that Team USA voted Lopez Lomong the flag bearer in 2008. Here was a guy that was totally unwanted by his own country of Sudan, referred to as one of the "lost boys of Sudan." Then he came to the USA and became flag bearer. As I recall, he had a bad race and didn't medal, but so what.

Last edited:
Y’all are sleeping on the Euro 2024 soccer tournament.
I love Team USA soccer. Olympics and WC. And I love hockey. Especially playoff hockey. So, I understand both, fairly well. But, I will never be a full blown soccer fan until they policing the theatrics and flopping. They need to start carding these idiots that get bumped and then flail around, for 15 min, like they are bleeding out from a shotgun blast. Only to hop right up like nothing happened. It's annoying and messes up a good game. Similar to 15 commercial breaks in the last 2 min of a meaningful NBA game. Yes, I fully understand the 'why', in why they do it. I understand the game and games manship. But I will never be ok with it, and it will always keep me from being an actual soccer fan. For some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, they are def the softest.

For me, the sports doldrums run from the time Kentucky's basketball season ends to about the start of football fall camp. I'm happy the bat cats made noise this year, but I'd rather do a thousand things besides watch baseball.

That said, summer is fishing, gardening, grilling, hiking, kayaking, and deer scouting season. There's tons to do this time of the year if you're inclined to the outdoors. There are also tons of festivals. I love summer almost as much as the objective best season: fall.

I spend some extra time on my aqauriums. Mostly American cichlids. Breeding some stunning Honduran Red Points right now, as well as some Moanda jewel cichlids (only African cichlids I have)

Try do some hiking, cause running in this type of heat simply sucks. Def get some bass and crappie hooked up!

Aww, that's awesome! I didn't know you were into that shit. I used to have 6 tanks, but I lost them all in the ice storm of 2012 or whatever it was. Was without power for 11 days, didn't have a generator and couldn't get out to get one. Couldn't keep em warm and lost them all 😭😭😭.

I had mostly African Cichlids from lake Malawi and Tanganyika. Such great fish. I was planning a 150 gallon discus tank before it all happened but was too heart broken to continue after the loss.

• Love
Aww, that's awesome! I didn't know you were into that shit. I used to have 6 tanks, but I lost them all in the ice storm of 2012 or whatever it was. Was without power for 11 days, didn't have a generator and couldn't get out to get one. Couldn't keep em warm and lost them all 😭😭😭.

I had mostly African Cichlids from lake Malawi and Tanganyika. Such great fish. I was planning a 150 gallon discus tank before it all happened but was too heart broken to continue after the loss.
Yep, I lost a lot in that storm (in Virginia). My first really good reef tank. Just watched them all die. Pretty heart wrenching. I did some pretty old fair goldfish and some white clouds survive it though. They were in an old 55g in the kids' playroom. Yeah, I used to do mostly standard community aquascapes. I love live plants. But in the last couple years, I've downsized to a few New World cichlid tanks. I've never done the Africans. Aside from the jewels which have way more in common with Americans than Africans. My water is perfect for Africans, but I prefer the calmness and personalities of the Americans. I do love the Tanganyikan cichlids though. Those are on the bucket list. Fish are my jam. I was raised with it, but when I sobered up a few years back, I went head first I to it. When I look at the glass boxes filled with clean water and life, I think that could've all been vodka I was putting into my body and eventual death. It's my gift to me.

For me, the sports doldrums run from the time Kentucky's basketball season ends to about the start of football fall camp. I'm happy the bat cats made noise this year, but I'd rather do a thousand things besides watch baseball.

That said, summer is fishing, gardening, grilling, hiking, kayaking, and deer scouting season. There's tons to do this time of the year if you're inclined to the outdoors. There are also tons of festivals. I love summer almost as much as the objective best season: fall.
It's the heat man. We just don't agree. And while I CAN endure it. I just choose not to. I hate just feeling sticky at 9 am. Sucks.

Now, if summer here were like being near the ocean? Hell yeah. Bring it.

But no, summer in Kentucky is a mixture of swamp ass and "My Goodness, my electric bill is what?"

I love Team USA soccer. Olympics and WC. And I love hockey. Especially playoff hockey. So, I understand both, fairly well. But, I will never be a full blown soccer fan until they policing the theatrics and flopping. They need to start carding these idiots that get bumped and then flail around, for 15 min, like they are bleeding out from a shotgun blast. Only to hop right up like nothing happened. It's annoying and messes up a good game. Similar to 15 commercial breaks in the last 2 min of a meaningful NBA game. Yes, I fully understand the 'why', in why they do it. I understand the game and games manship. But I will never be ok with it, and it will always keep me from being an actual soccer fan. For some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, they are def the softest.
This. Probably doesn't help my first soccer match ended in a 0-0 tie. Regular season so no real tie breaker to end the game. I was like "What? We just went through 90 or so minutes for nothing?"

Yeah, just could never get truly into it after that. Now, I do like to follow World Cup but that's about the extent of my soccer love.

Yep, I lost a lot in that storm (in Virginia). My first really good reef tank. Just watched them all die. Pretty heart wrenching. I did some pretty old fair goldfish and some white clouds survive it though. They were in an old 55g in the kids' playroom. Yeah, I used to do mostly standard community aquascapes. I love live plants. But in the last couple years, I've downsized to a few New World cichlid tanks. I've never done the Africans. Aside from the jewels which have way more in common with Americans than Africans. My water is perfect for Africans, but I prefer the calmness and personalities of the Americans. I do love the Tanganyikan cichlids though. Those are on the bucket list. Fish are my jam. I was raised with it, but when I sobered up a few years back, I went head first I to it. When I look at the glass boxes filled with clean water and life, I think that could've all been vodka I was putting into my body and eventual death. It's my gift to me.
They can definitely be aggressive assholes, but they have the most personality of any fish I think I've ever encountered. I had to keep them slightly overstocked to spread the aggression out and remove any one who was too over the top aggressive but it worked out really well just had to do more frequent water changes on those tanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT