ADVERTISEMENT

The area of the game that most needs to be cleaned up

UK3K

Sophomore
Mar 24, 2013
Glad to see that when I jumped on here today that I was not the only one who noticed how dreadfully bad the reffing was yesterday. And unlike other games when there are three or four ref hating fans who mention game in and game out how bad the reffing was, it seems that universally everyone thought the game was called craptastically.

Even though I haven't had much of a problem with the officials this year until yesterday, there is one area of the game that is becoming worse and worse officiated year in and year out: rebounding. The over-the-back call is all but gone from the game...it's become one of those calls that could be called pretty much every play (like holding in football), but the refs only blow the whistle when they have a point to make or want to change the course of the game. KY is just as prone to over the back and anyone, but I would still like to see the call be enforced again even if 80 whistles need to be blown a game until players adjust. What KY isn't prone to, but what teams are doing against UK on rebounding is pushing in the back or holding a player so they can't jump. Those two things made me turn red and yell at the TV yesterday. Every single rebound yesterday UK players were shoved in the back, hit in the kidneys, grabbed by the shoulders, or on the forearm. That can't be allowed to continue. I wish sports betting was not allowed at the college level because there is no person on Earth who could convince me that at least a few refs are not going to be tempted when Vegas waves major $'s and incentives in front of them to control the game.

tumblr_lwet4uSe0S1r8yqtdo1_500.gif

"Over the back" is not in the rule book.

A foul is a foul.

You can go over somebody's back as long as you do not foul them. However, the refs do seem to miss those calls repeatedly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT