ADVERTISEMENT

Stats for guards in our eight (8) losses last year (shooting is key)

megablue

All-American
Oct 2, 2012
PLAYERMINFGFGAFG%3PFG3PFGA3PFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBPFASTSTBSTOPTS
GRADY279206729.85%175431.48%91275.00%31922131180666
WHEELER246297538.67%61442.86%151978.95%419232036312479
WASHINGTON220227429.73%52222.73%111573.33%513181324821160
MINTZ193176028.33%73221.88%111668.75%6814191122852
TOTALS9388827631.88%3512228.69%466274.19%185977658221549257

For anyone who did not already know, our losses were always the result of poor shooting that seemed contagious. Wheeler's stats look comparatively best, except for the turnovers at roughly three (3) per game (he played 4 mins at LSU). Clearly, he needs to cut down on them, especially as the principal ball-handler and nobody knows this more than him. Hopefully, he will do much better this season. He must.

To me, if Wallace, Reeves and Fredrick shoot well in the big games, we will be as good as anybody in the country. A bad shooting night simply cannot be contagious and affect all three, or we're probably doomed. If somebody's hot, we have to go to him. We cannot have a repeat of the Knight-Lamb scenario ... the hot man needs to take the shots ... get it to him !!

If they do, Wheeler's offense production will not be required: He just needs to direct, assist and limit turnovers. Free-throw shooting by every player on the team will be paramount in March, of course, as always. The tendency of shooters to often shoot poorly as a group is a serious concern. It is not a function of coaching, imho. It is due to good defense and perhaps the pressure of the bright lights at crunch time. There can be some wilting ... let's be honest.

Hopefully, we can make a deep run and the tourney experience that returners have from last year will make a difference.

GO CATS !!

One of the very best shooter in KY history needed to be shooting more than ten (10) times in this game.
I think Brandon simply tried to do too much. Shame on Calipari for letting him. Knight needed to go to Lamb, a proven tourney clutch shooter.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFan19
the problem is if you can’t create for yourself in cals offense you aren’t getting many great looks. Also it’s easier for wheeler if you don’t have two of Oscar ware ugo Collins in the game.

It’s as simple as keeping toppin and Livingston at the 4. All the others are strictly 5s.
I do not disagree with you, but we do not have stats on great looks. Most shots are off good looks.
In our losses, the extremely poor shooting has to be due to great defense, collective off-nights shooting, shooters getting timid when they struggle and then becoming less-inclined to shoot. This is why Wheeler ends up with the ball so often with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Nobody wants the ball enough to work hard to get open for it (to shoot) and he often ends up with it. He tries to make something happen, rather than have the Harrison-type clock violations ... and yes, turnovers can occur. This is what I see. We've had players simply tighten up in the big games and not shoot well. Many times they are freshmen, especially since we've had so many one-and-done players over the years. This is why tourney experience matters so much, perhaps more than pure talent in the win-or-go-home situations. I think the final games of careers mean far more to guys who are not going to the NBA, than stellar Freshmen who know they will be getting drafts shortly. For the veterans, the college game is their legacy. It means more.

Like I said, this year, I'm hoping that the experience we have will make a difference because of tournament experience with Oscar, Wheeler, Ware, Toppin and perhaps Reeves and Fredrick. What I think might end up being a key factor is using Thiero strategically late in games for defense when Wheeler is matched up against a taller, offensive-minded point guard, much like we used Hawkins to defend against that shooter (forgot his name) on Michigan. I think Thiero can be a stopper-type defender, if asked to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
I agree totally that it was Grady, Tyty, and Mintz's not playing well that cost us St Peters and other losses. But… I would like to see Wheelers Assists to Turn overs, shooting percentage, FT percentage in last five minutes of games, I bet stats will show he plays worse when game is on the line, as he did at St Peters. I think wheeler should play lots of minutes, but when it comes down to grind it out, every possession counts at end of games, we don't need his speed, his size is a liability and i want the ball in Reeves hands or Wallaces hands at the end of the game, we've already tried Wheeler in that role and goose egg, goose egg, goose egg.

Shocker.

I was saying it during the game and still stand by it. The fact that we never even saw a lineup with TyTy/Grady/mintz in the saint peters game is absolutely criminal.

And it’s looking like we’ll rarely see Wallace/Fredrick/reeves this year. Which will get us beat a lot.

Shocker.

I was saying it during the game and still stand by it. The fact that we never even saw a lineup with TyTy/Grady/mintz in the saint peters game is absolutely criminal.

And it’s looking like we’ll rarely see Wallace/Fredrick/reeves this year. Which will get us beat a lot.

We would have lost by a lot more playing that garbage lineup with 2 gimps and Mintz.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Shocker.

The only way what you are suggesting makes any sense is if they are shooting well as a trio.
I love Reeves, but he is a volume-shooter and will have some 5-17 type games. The Law of Averages.
I love Fredrick but it remains to be seen if he can get hot and be hot when he absolutely has to.
I love Wallace, but he is a Freshman. It is as simple as that.

Look at these stats and tell me how many minutes did you want these guys to play together against St Peters.
Yes, you would subtract Wheeler's turnovers, but you would also subtract his points and defensive quickness.
If your trio played the whole game and it still went into overtime, each would've played 45 minutes.
Grady 5 more minutes
Washington 13 more minutes
Mintz 21 more minutes
Fatigue would have been even more of a factor than it already was, chasing StP backcourt.
The way I see it, Wheeler probably had about three (3) turnovers too many.
Plus, he missed two (2) free throws in OT and he was the best FT-shooter of the bunch. That hurt.
Oscar missed two (2) free throws in OT. That hurt.

We lost the game because of poor defense AND poor shooting, including 23-35 at the FT-line. Geez ... !!
We simply could not guard them ... and they knew it !! They were smaller, but quicker and playing well, gaining confidence throughout the entire game.

Last edited:
I do not disagree with you, but we do not have stats on great looks. Most shots are off good looks.
In our losses, the extremely poor shooting has to be due to great defense, collective off-nights shooting, shooters getting timid when they struggle and then becoming less-inclined to shoot. This is why Wheeler ends up with the ball so often with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Nobody wants the ball enough to work hard to get open for it (to shoot) and he often ends up with it. He tries to make something happen, rather than have the Harrison-type clock violations ... and yes, turnovers can occur. This is what I see. We've had players simply tighten up in the big games and not shoot well. Many times they are freshmen, especially since we've had so many one-and-done players over the years. This is why tourney experience matters so much, perhaps more than pure talent in the win-or-go-home situations. I think the final games of careers mean far more to guys who are not going to the NBA, than stellar Freshmen who know they will be getting drafts shortly. For the veterans, the college game is their legacy. It means more.

Like I said, this year, I'm hoping that the experience we have will make a difference because of tournament experience with Oscar, Wheeler, Ware, Toppin and perhaps Reeves and Fredrick. What I think might end up being a key factor is using Thiero strategically late in games for defense when Wheeler is matched up against a taller, offensive-minded point guard, much like we used Hawkins to defend against that shooter (forgot his name) on Michigan. I think Thiero can be a stopper-type defender, if asked to be.
I refuse to believe they aren’t working to get open. Izzo draws up plays. They set screens And different kinds of them. Not just ball screens. Flex screens. UCLA screens. We weave uNeil we have no choice but to let wheeler create. That falls on the coach.

ANY game in which Oscar is NOT our Leading Scorer, we WILL WIN!!!
(assuming he plays 25+min)

So if just one of Fredrick, Reeves, Wallace, Toppin, or even Livingston, has a 15+ pt game, we WILL WIN.

I refuse to believe they aren’t working to get open. Izzo draws up plays. They set screens And different kinds of them. Not just ball screens. Flex screens. UCLA screens. We weave uNeil we have no choice but to let wheeler create. That falls on the coach.
I cannot disagree with what our offense seems to be, especially when faced with a good defensive team.

Our offense has been good enough to get us pretty far down the line, but good defense can stymie it ... yes, no question. it is that way most of the time, it seems to me.

It is difficult to see from the stands or looking at the TV screen what the overall mentality and psyche of each player is. I will only say that, having coached basketball for over twenty (20), it was always frustrating (but not surprising) to see good players disappear during crunch time. Heart is the sum of desire and courage. Not everyone has it, unfortunately. The willingness to accept failure is what allows a player to play as hard as possible (and as fearlessly) throughout big games, especially when he is struggling. I am NOT saying that happens with every player that has poor shooting nights, can't seem to get open, seems a step slow on defense, etc..., but I suspect is has to happen some. The only way we as fans can ever know the psyche of every player would be to be on the staff and be at every practice and game. Then, it would become obvious. Coaches know, but will never call out players in the press. They just take the heat ... as they should. Every player is not mentally tough. That is just the way it is.

Every one of us would be so much smarter and have incredible insight into what happens on the court, if we could be familiar with the psyche and mentality of each player. Of course, that is not possible. We draw our own conclusions and form our opinions, based on what we see, our desires and our biases.

Last edited:
PLAYERMINFGFGAFG%3PFG3PFGA3PFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBPFASTSTBSTOPTS
GRADY279206729.85%175431.48%91275.00%31922131180666
WHEELER246297538.67%61442.86%151978.95%419232036312479
WASHINGTON220227429.73%52222.73%111573.33%513181324821160
MINTZ193176028.33%73221.88%111668.75%6814191122852
TOTALS9388827631.88%3512228.69%466274.19%185977658221549257

For anyone who did not already know, our losses were always the result of poor shooting that seemed contagious. Wheeler's stats look comparatively best, except for the turnovers at roughly three (3) per game (he played 4 mins at LSU). Clearly, he needs to cut down on them, especially as the principal ball-handler and nobody knows this more than him. Hopefully, he will do much better this season. He must.

To me, if Wallace, Reeves and Fredrick shoot well in the big games, we will be as good as anybody in the country. A bad shooting night simply cannot be contagious and affect all three, or we're probably doomed. If somebody's hot, we have to go to him. We cannot have a repeat of the Knight-Lamb scenario ... the hot man needs to take the shots ... get it to him !!

If they do, Wheeler's offense production will not be required: He just needs to direct, assist and limit turnovers. Free-throw shooting by every player on the team will be paramount in March, of course, as always. The tendency of shooters to often shoot poorly as a group is a serious concern. It is not a function of coaching, imho. It is due to good defense and perhaps the pressure of the bright lights at crunch time. There can be some wilting ... let's be honest.

Hopefully, we can make a deep run and the tourney experience that returners have from last year will make a difference.

GO CATS !!

One of the very best shooter in KY history needed to be shooting more than ten (10) times in this game.
I think Brandon simply tried to do too much. Shame on Calipari for letting him. Knight needed to go to Lamb, a proven tourney clutch shooter.
Great work here . And I remember screaming at Knight to “GET THE BALL TO LAMB!” Guess Cal didn't notice.

Great work here . And I remember screaming at Knight to “GET THE BALL TO LAMB!” Guess Cal didn't notice.
Yes, me 2. That was CLEARLY on Cal, unless he told Knight and he refused to comply. Who knows? All I know is that Lamb scored 8 straight points in a 2-minute run and then never got the ball again. He would be standing alone in the corner and Knight would keep driving down the lane throwing it up, instead of drawing and dishing over to Lamb for what would most-probably be a made shot. It was frustrating.

The other game against Connecticut (with Randle only taking 7 shots in 35 minutes, only 2 in the second half, if I recall) and the West Virginia game where we went 4-32 from 3-point, with Cousins and Patterson down low, were really upsetting games. I think Cal should've DEMANED screens for Randle to get the ball on the wing for a screen and then drive into the lane (ala Jack Givens flash jumper) and also DEMANDED Wall/Bledsoe get the ball to Cousins and Patterson. There was no reason for Dodson and Liggins to take 9 and 5 three-pointers, respectively. Those losses were on Cal, I must say, but look at the overall shooting (including free throws) in these two (2) games.

No coach can "coach it into the hole" ... the players have to make shots:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: yoshukai
We would have lost by a lot more playing that garbage lineup with 2 gimps and Mintz.
Nah. They at least would have guarded TyTy. Granted, Cal’s philosophy probably still would have made us lose, but we wouldn’t have been nearly as stagnant with tyty (Wallace) at point. Guess we will never know because Cal is too stupid.

ANY game in which Oscar is NOT our Leading Scorer, we WILL WIN!!!
(assuming he plays 25+min)

So if just one of Fredrick, Reeves, Wallace, Toppin, or even Livingston, has a 15+ pt game, we WILL WIN.
I see your logic and thesis ... it makes some good sense to me.

the problem is if you can’t create for yourself in cals offense you aren’t getting many great looks. Also it’s easier for wheeler if you don’t have two of Oscar ware ugo Collins in the game.

It’s as simple as keeping toppin and Livingston at the 4. All the others are strictly 5s.
I like Livingston. He is a good, physically-gifted player, in the mold of Winston Bennett to my eyes.
Having said that, his free-throw shooting really concerns me ... especially in close games.

Nah. They at least would have guarded TyTy. Granted, Cal’s philosophy probably still would have made us lose, but we wouldn’t have been nearly as stagnant with tyty (Wallace) at point. Guess we will never know because Cal is too stupid.

Not as stupid as you. At least calipari has been successful and rich in life. You are just a message board warrior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT