ADVERTISEMENT

Star ratings

It's supposed to be based on projections at the next level.
Obviously the 5* and high 4s like 5.8/5.9 are projected to be a big time contribution by time they leave like wise a 5.5/5.6 is a project. 5.7 is like a average player.
I don't know if that's exactly right but somewhere around there.

Simple if a 4 star and you commit to UK Rivals drops you to a 3

There is no anti-UK conspiracy. Obviously. However, UK fans do not subscribe to online fee-based football recruiting coverage nearly as much as GA fans, AL fans, TX fans, and so forth. So any perceived bias is actually market-driven. I suggest looking harder at offer sheets. They are usually (not always) very revealing. But there is no silver bullet to this. At the end of the day, we trust our coaches or we don't. (I do.)

There is no anti-UK conspiracy. Obviously. However, UK fans do not subscribe to online fee-based football recruiting coverage nearly as much as GA fans, AL fans, TX fans, and so forth. So any perceived bias is actually market-driven. I suggest looking harder at offer sheets. They are usually (not always) very revealing. But there is no silver bullet to this. At the end of the day, we trust our coaches or we don't. (I do.)
Blah blah blah I simply pointed out Stone's drop from Rivals

You suggest... LOL we all look at offer sheets you didn't discover that.

Blah blah blah I simply pointed out Stone's drop from Rivals

You suggest... LOL we all look at offer sheets you didn't discover that.

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? I saw what you pointed out and responded. I never even suggested I discovered offer sheets. It was just a suggestion, meant to be helpful. You really get angry when someone doesn't say yes yes massa. We know the type here.

Reactions: robo222
Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? I saw what you pointed out and responded. I never even suggested I discovered offer sheets. It was just a suggestion, meant to be helpful. You really get angry when someone doesn't say yes yes massa. We know the type here.
Been a great morning! You just described yourself perfectly!

But doubtless you’re not going to recognize it.

It's supposed to be based on projections at the next level.
Obviously the 5* and high 4s like 5.8/5.9 are projected to be a big time contribution by time they leave like wise a 5.5/5.6 is a project. 5.7 is like a average player.
I don't know if that's exactly right but somewhere around there.
This is more or less the idea. But without standardization, it isn't credible. For example, former UK NT Matt Elam was a 3-star, 4-star, or 5-star, depending on the website one looked at. Departed UK RB Travis Tisdale was anywhere from a low 3-star to a 4-star. Current all-pro Jacksonville Jaguar edge LB and former Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner Josh Allen was a 2 star recruit. So if one wants predict how a UK recruit will fare at the SEC level, there is no silver bullet but watching his film and observing how other Power 4 coaches recruit him can provide clues. This is why we have lively, informative discussions on our annual recruiting threads.

Been a great morning! You just described yourself perfectly!

But doubtless you’re not going to recognize it.
Wow. You are really determined to manufacture a juvenile conflict out of nothing. That sure adds a lot for the other readers. Get real.

Wow. You are really determined to manufacture a juvenile conflict out of nothing. That sure adds a lot for the other readers. Get real.
I’ll give you one thing.

You’re a consistent look at me I’m the only one who knows anything.

You back hand people on here all the time and play the victim when people don’t bow to your narrative.

Done with you

GO CATS

When are Davis, Carter, and Simmons dropping? Wait hasn’t UK had 24 - 4 star guys the last 3 years?
Was just pointing out Sanders, the odd thing was he had played very good at camps.

No reason he was dropped, doesn't change the fact he's a very talented QB who hopefully lives up to what people think he can be.

I’ll give you one thing.

You’re a consistent look at me I’m the only one who knows anything.

You back hand people on here all the time and play the victim when people don’t bow to your narrative.

Done with you

GO CATS
So? You seem to be a very angry person. Why would a poster use a college football website to manufacture spontaneous attacks on other fans? Pathetic. What was it you said? "Doubtless you are not going to recognize it." I think I see where that came from. It's called transference. Have you added anything to this thread for other readers? No.

Was just pointing out Sanders, the odd thing was he had played very good at camps.

No reason he was dropped, doesn't change the fact he's a very talented QB who hopefully lives up to what people think he can be.
It doesn't matter what an online guru says about Saunders. The only thing that matters now is how he performs on the field in a UK uniform. If he performs, the online gurus will all fall in line.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

I have no idea why he dropped. I don’t think it is because he committed to UK. Many times players will be ranked way different by the various analysts. Stone was 26th rivals, 29th 247, and 49th ON3. Rivals not only dropped him to a 3 star but a 5.6 and out of the top 50. That says there is more than just because it is UK thing

When are Davis, Carter, and Simmons dropping? Wait hasn’t UK had 24 - 4 star guys the last 3 years?

Right. The thing is, a player can be called a 4-star on one website but a 3-star on a different website.

My count of 4-star signings by Stoops, and maybe this isn't exactly right.

2013- 3
2014- 6 (Elam was 5-star on some websites)
2015- 3
2016- 3 (L Young was 5-star on some websites)
2017- 4
2018- 3
2019- 3
2020- 5
2021- 4
2022- 9 (Goodwin was 5-star on some websites)
2023- 3
2024- 5

So far, Coach Stoops holds commitments from three 4-stars in our 2025 class.

Because I am more oriented toward performance rather than stars, I try not to assess a value for recruiting classes for 2-3 years after they sign. But it sure seems to me that fee-based websites ranking players and classes online are market-driven.

I have no idea why he dropped. I don’t think it is because he committed to UK. Many times players will be ranked way different by the various analysts. Stone was 26th rivals, 29th 247, and 49th ON3. Rivals not only dropped him to a 3 star but a 5.6 and out of the top 50. That says there is more than just because it is UK thing

Totally agree.

I like Saunders a lot because he has decent size, arm talent you can easily see on film, and has been a record setting passer in a state with a pretty good level of hs football competition. As a junior, he surpassed all time career passing records at Bishop McDevitt hs. That's impressive. Saunders' publicly reported offer sheet includes 3 SEC (including GA) and 7 B10 (including MI) offers. So our coaches are not the only Power 4 staff that is impressed. That tells me a lot. But he will have to compete at UK, and that's what we want.

BTW, what do you think about Taren Hedrick and Darrin Strey? I just listed them as UK-bound on my "mock 1.0" UK class on the recruiting thread, and hope that proves out.

Totally agree.

I like Saunders a lot because he has decent size, arm talent you can easily see on film, and has been a record setting passer in a state with a pretty good level of hs football competition. As a junior, he surpassed all time career passing records at Bishop McDevitt hs. That's impressive. Saunders' publicly reported offer sheet includes 3 SEC (including GA) and 7 B10 (including MI) offers. So our coaches are not the only Power 4 staff that is impressed. That tells me a lot. But he will have to compete at UK, and that's what we want.

BTW, what do you think about Taren Hedrick and Darrin Strey? I just listed them as UK-bound on my "mock 1.0" UK class on the recruiting thread, and hope that proves out.
Hendrick canceled UF and A&M visits to be at UK possible decision this next week.

Right. The thing is, a player can be called a 4-star on one website but a 3-star on a different website.

2013- 3
2015- 3
2017- 4
2018- 3
2019- 3
2020- 5
2021- 4
2023- 3
2024- 5

So far, Coach Stoops holds commitments from three 4-stars in our 2025 class.

Because I am more oriented toward performance rather than stars, I try not to assess a value for recruiting classes for 2-3 years after they sign. But it sure seems to me that fee-based websites ranking players and classes online are market-driven.
Just curious. Are there numbers that show how many subscribers each Rivals site has? To you other question, Strey and Hedrick are guys UK have a great shot with. Looks like Hedrick is down to OM and UK. Strey has 5 visits planned. He is coming on UKs big weekend. So hopefully they get it done

This is more or less the idea. But without standardization, it isn't credible. For example, former UK NT Matt Elam was a 3-star, 4-star, or 5-star, depending on the website one looked at. Departed UK RB Travis Tisdale was anywhere from a low 3-star to a 4-star. Current all-pro Jacksonville Jaguar edge LB and former Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner Josh Allen was a 2 star recruit. So if one wants predict how a UK recruit will fare at the SEC level, there is no silver bullet but watching his film and observing how other Power 4 coaches recruit him can provide clues. This is why we have lively, informative discussions on our annual recruiting threads.
On this site, Matt ended up as a 3-star, 5.7 rating and was the #26 DT coming out of HS. That was the year (2014) UK had a #1 class with 18 commits on 19 June. I thought Matt was a 4 or 5 star on this site at one point, but can't find any documentation of it.

In 2015, this site also had Josh as a 3-star LB, but with a 5.5 rating. His HS coach said Stoops found a gem, or something like that.

Just curious. Are there numbers that show how many subscribers each Rivals site has? To you other question, Strey and Hedrick are guys UK have a great shot with. Looks like Hedrick is down to OM and UK. Strey has 5 visits planned. He is coming on UKs big weekend. So hopefully they get it done

I doubt Rivals discloses subscriber numbers for individual websites since that proprietary information would be useful for their competitors. I haven't seen it. But IDK.

Would you be satisfied if Hedrick and Strey are the two OT prospects Stoops signs in our 2025 class? I have a gut feeling we could be headed in that direction but could easily be wrong.

Reactions: JASUN74
To the original question: rankings are determined very similar to how college staffs decide who to recruit.

-size, are you at 16 close to being the optimal height/frame of a 1st rounder at your position? Most young men ain't growing much after 17th b day.
-speed/strength
-performance, have you been starting & showing out since soph yr?
-camp evaluations, how do you look in comparison to other college prospects?

This isn't a 1 man show, these companies use lots of viewpoints to get their stars. And no doubt it is biased by college coach offers. If a borderline 4 star has offers from 5 top 15 programs yeah he's getting ranked a 4 star.

BTW I didn't pay actual attention, was Stone Saunders really ever a 4 star? If so, by who? Not that it matters, I was thrilled when he committed and so glad he is sticking.

2013- 3
2015- 3
2017- 4
2018- 3
2019- 3
2020- 5
2021- 4
2023- 3
2024- 5
I used to keep a massive spreadsheet, kinda like a poor man's Jon Scott BB page. Here is what i had, FWIW (I used to include transfers in the beginning, but it got too crazy so I stopped!):
2013- 3 (Smith, McWilson, Hatcher)
2014- 11 (Heard, Baker, Barker, Bone, Edwards, Horton, Johnson, Randolph, Richardson, West, Williams -- Snodgrass and Ware were also 4-stars at one point)
2015- 2 (Brown, Conrad)
2016- 5 (Daniel, Griffin, Jackson, Leavitt, Young 5*)
2017- 4 (Ajian, Richardson [2nd time], Paschal, Bowden)
2018- 4 (Garner, McCall, Oats, Price)
2019- 4 (Douglass, Weaver, Casey, Devonshire)
2020- 12 (Young, Allen, Rogers 5*, Anaele, Rybka, Flax, Oxendine, Hayes, Peters, Joseph, Gatewood, Drennan -- Adams and Williams were also 4-stars before signing with UK)
2021- 3 (Burton, Lewis, Wallace -- Crowder was a 4* at one point)
2022- 11 (Albert, Walker, Frazier, Fearby, Afari, Goodwin, Wade, Wade, Bingham, Key, Brown)
2023- 9 (Wilcox, Brown, Porter, Anderson, Brown, Godfrey, Stuart, Keenum, Gilbert)
2024- 6 (Robinson, Gilmore, Smith, Smith, Nichols, Boley)

The thing I like to use as "evaluations" is offers (of course) and Top-50. IMO, they can have 200 4-stars, but only 50 top-50 players.

On this site, Matt ended up as a 3-star, 5.7 rating and was the #26 DT coming out of HS. That was the year (2014) UK had a #1 class with 18 commits on 19 June. I thought Matt was a 4 or 5 star on this site at one point, but can't find any documentation of it.

In 2015, this site also had Josh as a 3-star LB, but with a 5.5 rating. His HS coach said Stoops found a gem, or something like that.

Different websites rated Elam and Allen differently. Allen is probably the best football player at UK since Dermotti Dawson, but I know of popular websites that had him as a 2-star. I know of a reputable, popular website that had Elam as a 5-star. I know a very popular website that had Travis Tisdale listed as a 4-star and as the highest-ranked signee in Stoops' 2019 class. And that goes back to the earlier point. There is no science and no standardization to the process of star ratings. I just find it interesting that Allen is an NFL star, Elam is out of football, and Goodwin was a bigger bust than Elam. There are no silver bullets in recruiting.

At the end of the day, most prospects don't end up being very productive on the field, regardless of how they look to online evaluators and to us fans. In part because only 11 at a time can play, and in part because some athletes just aren't cut out for classwork, team meetings, learning a high level team system, being part of a group, and abiding by team and campus rules. I can think of guys from Aaron Miller to Alex Smith to Jason Hatcher to Javonte Richardson who had all the talent in the world but couldn't fit in.

Reactions: Lost In FL
I used to keep a massive spreadsheet, kinda like a poor man's Jon Scott BB page. Here is what i had, FWIW (I used to include transfers in the beginning, but it got too crazy so I stopped!):
2013- 3 (Smith, McWilson, Hatcher)
2014- 11 (Heard, Baker, Barker, Bone, Edwards, Horton, Johnson, Randolph, Richardson, West, Williams -- Snodgrass and Ware were also 4-stars at one point)
2015- 2 (Brown, Conrad)
2016- 5 (Daniel, Griffin, Jackson, Leavitt, Young 5*)
2017- 4 (Ajian, Richardson [2nd time], Paschal, Bowden)
2018- 4 (Garner, McCall, Oats, Price)
2019- 4 (Douglass, Weaver, Casey, Devonshire)
2020- 12 (Young, Allen, Rogers 5*, Anaele, Rybka, Flax, Oxendine, Hayes, Peters, Joseph, Gatewood, Drennan -- Adams and Williams were also 4-stars before signing with UK)
2021- 3 (Burton, Lewis, Wallace -- Crowder was a 4* at one point)
2022- 11 (Albert, Walker, Frazier, Fearby, Afari, Goodwin, Wade, Wade, Bingham, Key, Brown)
2023- 9 (Wilcox, Brown, Porter, Anderson, Brown, Godfrey, Stuart, Keenum, Gilbert)
2024- 6 (Robinson, Gilmore, Smith, Smith, Nichols, Boley)

The thing I like to use as "evaluations" is offers (of course) and Top-50. IMO, they can have 200 4-stars, but only 50 top-50 players.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

BTW I didn't pay actual attention, was Stone Saunders really ever a 4 star?

ESPN has Stone Saunders as a 4-star. On other websites I know about, he is a high 3-star. So, fairly consistent in this particular case. I find Saunders to be one of the more interesting QBs in the class because of his family pedigree and the prolific career passing records he set at Bishop McDevitt hs. He has been around football his entire Iife, and he is a leader. Strong build and good athleticism. Not afraid of competition. Now we will find out if he has the arm talent and touch to make all the throws into tight windows at a high level. That's the unknown.

Story I seem to recall on Josh Allen was that in early HS years in Alabama he was a tall, thin WR on a non-throwing team. Moved to NJ in jr/sr year, started growing, went to D(probably got good coaching) and became a star. Sort of got lost in the shuffle I guess. But I remember his being a good prospect as a sr but needed developmental time.

Story I seem to recall on Josh Allen was that in early HS years in Alabama he was a tall, thin WR on a non-throwing team. Moved to NJ in jr/sr year, started growing, went to D(probably got good coaching) and became a star. Sort of got lost in the shuffle I guess. But I remember his being a good prospect as a sr but needed developmental time.
He was a 2* when he committed to us, not sure if he was ever given a 3. I do remember an interview with his head coach saying that we got a steal and he had star potential.

My final word on “Star Ratings!”

They have VERY limited value on a purely Individual basis. Hence Josh Allen is Kentucky’s most decorated football player in more than a Century, with a 2/3 Star rating and a competing offer from Monmouth.

But when you move to higher numbers, the ratings begin to have a correlative value: the SEC recruits more 4 and 5 Star players, and tends to dominate college football.

He was a 2* when he committed to us, not sure if he was ever given a 3.

Actually, he was a 5.5 Three Star in Rivals final assessment, likely upgraded, late, due to receiving an SEC offer:

I couldn’t fail to notice that there was a player the same class as our Josh Allen that went to Wyoming, and has made a little noise playing football, and he was a 5.4 rated two star guy:

F@&k the Star system: just recruit guys named “Josh Allen!!”

Last edited:
There is no science and no standardization to the process of star ratings. I just find it interesting that Allen is an NFL star, Elam is out of football, and Goodwin was a bigger bust than Elam. There are no silver bullets in recruiting.
Exactly

Actually, he was a 5.5 Three Star in Rivals final assessment, likely upgraded, late, due to receiving an SEC offer:

I couldn’t fail to notice that there was a player the same class as our Josh Allen that went to Wyoming, and has made a little noise playing football, and he was a 5.4 rated two star guy:

F@&k the Star system: just recruit guys named “Josh Allen!!”
Saw where he committed five days before NSD and we were his only offer, doubt you’ll ever hear of many fb success stories like that.

Saw where he committed five days before NSD and we were his only offer, doubt you’ll ever hear of many fb success stories like that.

I think he had an offer from Monmouth, whatever the Hell that is.

No FBS offers.

The story of his recruitment was told at the QB Club.

Somebody made a phone call on his behalf, and IIRC, Schlarman was on call for the flight.

He went to Josh’s high school, saw him briefly between classes, and phoned home a 👍👍.

Reactions: bluecoon1
UK may have an advantage if players star rating drops when they commit here: it may make them less desirable to other schools. 🤪

I think he had an offer from Monmouth, whatever the Hell that is.

No FBS offers.

The story of his recruitment was told at the QB Club.

Somebody made a phone call on his behalf, and IIRC, Schlarman was on call for the flight.

He went to Josh’s high school, saw him briefly between classes, and phoned home a 👍👍.
I read an article but it’s been a while. It may have been Schlarman but the asst was going to see another player when a scout called Stoops and told him about Allen. His size length etc. stoops called the asst and told him to go see him and if he had the size they said to offer him. The rest is history.

Josh Allen and Jamin Davis hit the genetic lottery that no recruiting site or college staff can predict. both guys developed and put on 50, 60 lbs of good muscle while maintaining quick twitch reactions and 4.5 40 speed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT