ADVERTISEMENT

Stan Van Gundy on college v pro

Oct 19, 2022
During the 1st half of the UConn/Illinois game there was a scrum for a loose ball and afterwards Stan Van Gundy (usually an NBA guy for those who don't know) said something that I think is relevant to our situation at UK. He remarked on how much more physical the college game is than the NBA. And to apply that to our situation now at UK, when we're routinely bringing in guys who want to get to the NBA, not only are they younger than most college players these days. They're also almost by definition if they have a shot at the NBA probably more skill-based than physicality and toughness, because that's not what the NBA values, and that could be true of the older guys with NBA aspirations too. I think it's another reason we haven't been able to get over the hump since we stopped getting the elite freshmen--Zion, Anthony Edwards, Cade Cunningham, Flagg next year--who can potentially overcome. Meanwhile Cal keeps talking about needing to get more physical than we have been, but I think that's in fundamental disagreement with his other ambition, to assemble as much talent on one roster as he can find.

Last edited:
During the 1st half of the UConn/Illinois game there was a scrum for a loose ball and afterwards Jeff Van Gundy (usually an NBA announcer for those who don't know) said something that I think is relevant to our situation at UK. He remarked on how much more physical the college game is than the NBA. And to apply that to our situation now at UK, when we're routinely bringing in guys who want to get to the NBA, not only are they younger than most college players these days. They're also almost by definition if they have a shot at the NBA probably more skill-based than physicality and toughness, because that's not what the NBA values, and that could be true of the older guys with NBA aspirations too. I think it's another reason we haven't been able to get over the hump since we stopped getting the elite freshmen--Zion, Anthony Edwards, Cade Cunningham, Flagg next year--who can potentially overcome. Meanwhile Cal keeps talking about needing to get more physical than we have been, but I think that's in fundamental disagreement with his other ambition, to assemble as much talent on one roster as he can find.
Stan Van Gundy

Reactions: catfan220
Was watching the tourney games this past week and thinking it’s almost unwatchable anymore. The college game is not a pretty game anymore and has turned into a grab and push meme and I think that’s what Stan is talking about.

And it’s coming from the offensive side IMO. The dribblers are so aggressive with the lean ins and shove offs and shoulder and hip checks to the point the defender has not choice but to fight back just to try and hold ground. If Om a cos h in spacing the floor and telling my guys drive it hard or dump it in and let the 3,4, and 5 back their way or root their way to the goal .

So it has all escalated to a scrum to me. They have to get a handle on this or it’s going to continue to deteriorate

Reactions: MCIGuy and ACTSEAN
I’ve always said the NBA is a very different game than college basketball.
There have been many very good college players who weren’t even given a chance in the NBA, and many “ok” college players who were good NBA players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT