ADVERTISEMENT

SR Game 2 Thoughts + Looking toward Omaha

backinky2018

Sophomore
Sep 14, 2021
1. Simply unreal being in that stadium last night. The fans brought it. We lost a few as the night went on (I guess some people didn't feel they could stay too late with work this morning), but truly fantastic atmosphere. I suppose baseball casuals probably didn't love the low-hit pitching duel kind of game, but purists probably love it.

2. Can't say enough about our pitching staff during this NCAA tournament. They had a rough patch in the last month of the season, but they're really pitching well right now. We are getting innings out of guys like O'Brien that I didn't see coming.

3. This game was extremely frustrating at the plate, but I guess that guy was PAC 12 player of the year for a reason. Uncharacteristically bad weekend from Waldy at the plate, but Mccarthy picked up the slack and was the MVP of this game (for a variety of reasons).

4. I still think that we need to get SOMETHING at the plate from Burkes, McCoy, and Smith. Those three are almost automatic outs right now, and it's tough to win if a third of your lineup simply never gets a hit.

5. Mason Moore is so good in spots, but he really struggles with walks. Good Mason Moore was game 3 against Florida. Strugglebus mason Moore is last night. Still got 3 great innings, but feels like it could have been a lot more.

6. One thing I love about this team is the resilience. Grant Smith makes a horrendous error in the field, but responds with an unbelievable run saving catch an inning or two later. Mitch Daly was kind of bad early in the year, but last night he was one of the few guys raking and he also makes the second out in the 9th inning with an outstanding defensive play. Robbie Hummel was left for dead after South Carolina, but comes in and gets the last out in the biggest game in school history with a man on third base ready to break our hearts. Really a lot of life lessons here.

7. People still get frustrated (albeit less so) with some of Ming's decisions (the bunting, the stealing third, the leaving a pitcher in too long, etc), but almost everything that guy has done has worked in this tournament (starting Niman in Game 1 of the regional, the levers he pulled last night, calling on Hummel to get the last out, etc).

8. Best weekend in school history for baseball. Really special to be there.

9. Omaha. Trying to decide if my attitude is just "go out there and enjoy it regardless of outcome" or if I will be disappointed if we go 0-2. Going to try and be level headed. With that said, we can win the whole thing. Tennessee is the best team, but their pitching has some holes in it. Florida is the hottest team and I wish they were on the other side of the bracket b/c I hate them. Texas A&M is up there, though they have some real injury issues. Let's see what happens and enjoy the ride.

I have to think our pitching should be in a bit better shape than most going into Omaha, We didn't burn through a ton of guys with high scoring games. Heck, the guy who came in and got the last out threw what? 3-4 pitches? and with an extra days rest we should be strong.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I have to think our pitching should be in a bit better shape than most going into Omaha, We didn't burn through a ton of guys with high scoring games. Heck, the guy who came in and got the last out threw what? 3-4 pitches? and with an extra days rest we should be strong.
Even NC State, who was the only team to play Monday, will have enough rest by Saturday, so I don't see that as being a big issue for any team.

Reactions: backinky2018
Watched the Ga. vs NC State game last night. The CATS need to jump on the Wolfpack's starter because they have a deep Bullpen and looked real strong last night

Pitching worries me a little outside of Pooser.

We really need to win game 1 IMO. I don't want us to be in the loser's bracket for game 2. Too much pressure. Just being there for the first time will be pressure enough.

I still can’t believe our Kentucky Wildcats will be playing in Omaha. Crazy.
Especially starting the season not even ranked.

I don’t have the time to do it, but maybe someone could chart where UK was ranked each week of the season. It would be an interesting climb!

Especially starting the season not even ranked.

I don’t have the time to do it, but maybe someone could chart where UK was ranked each week of the season. It would be an interesting climb!
Go to UK Athletics & baseball/results. It shows this clearly. Is fun to see the rise.

Interesting that UK actually entered the rankings and dropped out twice before finally getting in and climbing!

Reactions: The-Hack
So when has there ever been so much posting on here than now?

I’ve posted and read more, here, than on the football forum the last two weeks.

And I have learned A LOT from the knowledgeable posters, here.

Correct me if the following is faulty.

Describing the playoffs to others, now, I tell folks it is basically a field of 64, with the first two rounds being at the home field of the top ranked/seeded 16 teams. The next round is at the home field of the remaining top 8 ranked/seeded teams, with only two teams.

Then Omaha is the “Elite Eight” of baseball, a double elimination tournament.

I’ve posted and read more, here, than on the football forum the last two weeks.

And I have learned A LOT from the knowledgeable posters, here.

Correct me if the following is faulty.

Describing the playoffs to others, now, I tell folks it is basically a field of 64, with the first two rounds being at the home field of the top ranked/seeded 16 teams. The next round is at the home field of the remaining top 8 ranked/seeded teams, with only two teams.

Omaha is basically a combination of the Regionals and Super Regionals. The 4 teams on UK’s side of the bracket (UK, NC St, Florida and A and M) will play a 4 team double elimination tournament and the 4 teams on Tennessees side (UT, UVA, NC and Fl St) will do the same. The winners from those two groups will then play a best of 3 series for the title.

That's the way it used to be till about 15-20 years ago. Briarcreek has it right. In the current system, you can lose a game in the 4-team first round & in the best 2/3 title round & still win championship.

That's the way it used to be till about 15-20 years ago. Briarcreek has it right. In the current system, you can lose a game in the 4-team first round & in the best 2/3 title round & still win championship.

Oh, OK.

That’s a tad different.

So going from 8 down to two, double-elimination.

Top 2, the slates are wiped clean, and essentially it’s a brand new double-elimination, or 2 of 3 series for the title.

I kind of would like to see a 5 game series finale, but that might just be me!!

Thanks for the clarification.

^ That would call for a deeper pitching staff than schools need to use throughout the rest of the season, so I find it somewhat unfair to introduce at last moment.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT