ADVERTISEMENT

Sports trivia question?

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
What cities have had the most (and fewest) professional championships per eligible season (across the 4 main sports)?

“Per eligible season” means if the Panthers been in Charlotte 30 years and the Hornets/Bobcats been there 34 years then that is 64 seasons (and 0 Championships)

I'm gonna guess NY has the most, primarily because the Yankees have won an absurd number of World Series rings (and the Giants won quite a few before the headed to Cali). Plus the NFL Giants have 8 rings. Hockey did okay, the Rangers and Islanders have both won multiple. The Knicks have been abysmal though.

Least? I'll go with Minneapolis

Last edited:
Most has gotta be Vegas. They have one title in like, 5 seasons.

Least, Cleveland?

That's a good point. I guess I took the question as "of the cities that have a team in all 4 major sports"

Boston has to be up their too. But NY just has SO many WS rings Between the Giants, Yankees, and Dodgers (only 1 in NY though)

San Diego would have to be at or near the top of the least category. The Padres, Chargers, and Clippers (before the latter two moved) have one combined championship (Chargers 1963 AFL Championship).

Reactions: IdaCat
What cities have had the most (and fewest) professional championships per eligible season (across the 4 main sports)?

“Per eligible season” means if the Panthers been in Charlotte 30 years and the Hornets/Bobcats been there 34 years then that is 64 seasons (and 0 Championships)
New York most

Cleveland least

Do the Patriots count for Boston? Foxborough is about 20 miles from Boston. If so, I will go with Celtics (17), Patriots (6), Red Socks (9) and Bruins (6) for 2nd most. Hard to compete with the Yankees 27 titles.

Last edited:
Do the Patriots count for Boston? Foxborough is about 20 miles from Boston. If so, I will go with Celtics (17), Patriots (6), Red Socks (9) and Bruins (6) for 2nd most. Hard to compete with the Yankees 27 titles.
That is what I thought, plus the Knicks have won the NBA once at least, and NYG have won two Super Bowls

Cleveland has never won SB, won a handful of WS, and don't keep up with the NBA, but think they won an NBA or two with Lebron (I freely admit, have no idea what happened in the NBA after about 1985)

Reactions: DSmith21
That's a good point. I guess I took the question as "of the cities that have a team in all 4 major sports"

Boston has to be up their too. But NY just has SO many WS rings Between the Giants, Yankees, and Dodgers (only 1 in NY though)
The Lakers won five titles in Minneapolis. I quoted the wrong post.

Is this limited to you have to have a team in each of the big four? Because if so, that changes answers.

Oklahoma City has no titles but only has a team in one sport that I know of.

I would count Patriots for Boston, only 20 miles is a suburb. Just like the Giants for NYC, even though they are in another state. I think I would even count the Rangers and Cowboys for Dallas, even though Arlington is 10 miles from Dallas and closer to Fort Worth than Dallas.

Reactions: DSmith21
Montreal:
Canadians 24 in 114 (1 every 5)
Expos 0 in 35
Total 24 in 149, (1 every 6)

NYC:
Yankees 27 out of 121 (1 every 4.5)
Giants (baseball) 5 out of 75
Dodgers 1 out of 75
Mets 2 out of 62
Giants (football) 8 out of 99 (including 4 pre-SB championships)
Jets 1 in 64
Rangers (hockey) 4 out of 97
Islanders 4 out of 50
Devils 3 out of 41
Knicks 2 out of 77
Nets 2 out of 55 (both were ABA)
In total (ignoring overlap) that is 35 out of 333 baseball seasons (1 every 9.5),
9 out of 163 football seasons (1 every 18),
11 out of 188 hockey seasons (1 every 17),
4 out of 132 basketball seasons (1 every 33),
which is 59 (almost half are Yankees) out of 816 seasons (1 every 14 seasons).

Boston:
Red Sox 9 in 123 (1 every 14)
Braves 1 in 82
Patriots 6 in 64 (1 every 11)
Bruins 6 in 99 (1 every 16)
Celtics 17 in 77 (1 every 4.5)
In total, 39 in 445 (1 every 11.5 seasons)

I've not taken into account when each league starting having "champions".

Arizona might be interesting, as would LA. Atlanta would be bad I think.

I’m looking for cities that just have 1 team that have been successful. San Antonio has played 47 seasons and have 5 titles. (1 for every 9.4 seasons).

I considered Montreal because of the Habs, but, like I said; I thought having a franchise in all 4 sports (not simultaneously, but at least at one point) was mandatory to the discussion. (which was my mistake)

Also, FVCK Boston. That sh*t hole doesn't deserve the success they've had at sports.

San Diego is a perfect example of why it should only include cities that have had, at some point, a franchise in each of the Big 4

As a Hornets / Panthers fan, let me just say you need to put a trigger warning on this post. You could put the over/under of one title between these two teams for the next 25 years and I'd take the under. We suck.

San Diego is a perfect example of why it should only include cities that have had, at some point, a franchise in each of the Big 4
Why? 0 in forever (probably close to 100 seasons) is pretty bad. And that city has had a team in 3 of the 4, the biggest 3, just not hockey.
There's not that many cities have have had all 4 (Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, Miami, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Mineapolis, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Seattle, SF)

Reactions: HymanKaplan

Has anyone gotten the answer yet?

I'll add Green Bay as a possibility. Only team is the Packers. 105 seasons and 15 championships (11 NFL championships pre merger and 4 Super Bowl titles) - 1 title every 7 years

Why? 0 in forever (probably close to 100 seasons) is pretty bad. And that city has had a team in 3 of the 4, the biggest 3, just not hockey.
There's not that many cities have have had all 4 (Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, Miami, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Mineapolis, Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Seattle, SF)
Why? Because it would have made it easier, for ME... LOL

Reactions: JonathanW
I considered Montreal because of the Habs, but, like I said; I thought having a franchise in all 4 sports (not simultaneously, but at least at one point) was mandatory to the discussion. (which was my mistake)

Also, FVCK Boston. That sh*t hole doesn't deserve the success they've had at sports.

Beautiful city with the absolute worst people. As a NYer, you really have to be careful in that city. They not only hate everyone, but they REAAAALLY hate New Yorkers.

The #1 rule in asking a trivia question is know the answer.
I agree. OP lays the question out there and then disappears. I think if we are talking about US cities, Green Bay is the winner and San Diego is the loser.

Beautiful city with the absolute worst people. As a NYer, you really have to be careful in that city. They not only hate everyone, but they REAAAALLY hate New Yorkers.
I went there as a kid and would have agreed with you based on that visit. However, I've been back five times in the last 3 years and the people have been awesome. That said, I'm handsome and stayed at the Ritz.

I'll add Green Bay as a possibility. Only team is the Packers. 105 seasons and 15 championships (11 NFL championships pre merger and 4 Super Bowl titles) - 1 title every 7 years
But the Brewers bring them down (coming from a Brewers fan). The Bucks have done ok.

I agree. OP lays the question out there and then disappears. I think if we are talking about US cities, Green Bay is the winner and San Diego is the loser.
I'm pretty sure I put the answer up above (Montreal).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT