ADVERTISEMENT

sous vide

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
Do you have one? If so, do you like it? Brand?

A friend claims she will never make her steaks any other way.

We have an air fryer, instant pot, grill, and smoker. Just not sure if I want another cooking appliance.

I had an anova back in the day and ended up giving it away. In theory, it is the best way to do it -- vacuum seal meat with some herbs, throw it in a water bath at your desired temp for a few hours, and then finish it under the broiler.

My wife, especially, and I both just found the end product to be rubbery and not the big a time saver over just lighting a grill and using a good meat thermometer to get to about ten degrees lower than desired temp on the indirect side before searing and then letting it rest.

In my opinion, it isn't bad but it not worth the hype either. Sous vide carrots are fire, though.

It seems like a lot of work. And, would definitely need to finish the product on a hot iron skillet or in the broiler.

This does, however, look appealing:

In theory, it is amazing. I found the results to be just okay in practice. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks. Your response helps me with my decision.

I will add, that a little while back, another friend made sous vide salmon and it was incredible. Not better than the pan seared, my wife makes, but damn good.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Even if you don't get a sous vide cooker you should check out the youtube channel "sous vide everything" the main guy is a little goofy but its one of the best cooking shows on youtube.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I've had an anova for several years and love it, but it's not the end all, yet another tool that when used correctly can deliver delicate items to perfection.

If you're cooking 1 or 2 steaks at a time, and they're not several inches thick, it's a waste of time. If you have a big thick steak(filet), even with the reverse sear method, you can't accomplish edge to edge pink with no gray any other way. I stopped adding anything other than SP to my steaks in the bag. Finish a few degrees below desired IT. Pat them dry and let them rest for 10 minutes before finishing.

Seafood is very good from the Anova.

Great for meal prep as you can make a bunch of individual packed stuff. Great for parties when everyone isn't eating at the same time.

Really good for perfect vegetables because they tend to be over cooked.

I've had an anova for several years and love it, but it's not the end all, yet another tool that when used correctly can deliver delicate items to perfection.

If you're cooking 1 or 2 steaks at a time, and they're not several inches thick, it's a waste of time. If you have a big thick steak(filet), even with the reverse sear method, you can't accomplish edge to edge pink with no gray any other way. I stopped adding anything other than SP to my steaks in the bag. Finish a few degrees below desired IT. Pat them dry and let them rest for 10 minutes before finishing.

Seafood is very good from the Anova.

Great for meal prep as you can make a bunch of individual packed stuff. Great for parties when everyone isn't eating at the same time.

Really good for perfect vegetables because they tend to be over cooked.
Do you broil, skillet sear or blow torch your steak?

I have one, not sure of the brand, that I purchased on clearance at WalMart for about 1/5 of the retail price. I have tried it a couple of times on steak and wasn't that impressed. I'm not certain if it was the machine or the idiot trying to use it. 🤣

A grill, a good set of knives, some quality pots and pans (one that's cast iron).. anything after that just becomes gimmicky to me. Something that's more of a hassle and rarely gets used.

Can Sous Vide make steak better than a 500 degree grill, or a reverse sear on stove top/oven? Maybe. But my steaks are pretty close to restaurant quality, and it's not because I'm great at it.. its because you can never replace the classics. They just work.

.. although I'm starting to see the appeal of a good air fryer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT