ADVERTISEMENT

So Matt Painter

yoshukai

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2002
Harrodsburg
Mention practically any coach and the go to line for critics is some version of “ What’s he won ? “ . If he wins the National Championship or gets to the final four will he become a viable candidate to ever coach at UK ? Thoughts?

Reactions: TM2013

I hope not. I mean I’d take him over Calipari but I might take the little guy at Louisville over Calipari.

Something so annoying about the soft yankee ways of Purdue. The way Purdue and boilermaker run together, then the name Painter with emphasis on the T. Makes me cringe up.

I’ve always thought the name Calipari sounds like sounds like a slice of cantaloupe.

Personally, I don't like the idea of getting any coach who has already won a NC. Winning that first requires a coach to pour so much of the heart and soul into it that I believe that it may leave the tank only half full. Of course, there are exceptions, those who still maintain the drive. We all know who they are. But what if you get a Cal type. We need a young, energetic, hungry coach who has gotten to an elite 8 or final 4 but still short of a NC. Just the opinion of an 80 yr old fan.

Last edited:
Do people do zero research about all these coaches they think would come to UK. Purdue is his alma mater and he played PG there for four years. If he wins a title there he'd go down in history as possibly the most important person in Purdue basketball history.

I swear everyone here thinks UK is the absolute center of the basketball universe for every possible coach, and it's not even close.

Do people do zero research about all these coaches they think would come to UK. Purdue is his alma mater and he played PG there for four years. If he wins a title there he'd go down in history as possibly the most important person in Purdue basketball history.

I swear everyone here thinks UK is the absolute center of the basketball universe for every possible coach, and it's not even close.
You mean it isn’t?

Painter is definitely a damn good coach and one of best coaches in college basketball. His high profile NCAA Tournament losses will keep fans from ever wanting him to coach here at the moment. Far inferior never won a tournament game Todd Golden gets more love here.

I eventually want Frank Vogel, with Rondo and Ulis on his staff. I want a successful transition of power from Calipari to Vogel. That way Cal can still help as an ambassador. Hopefully Calipari steps down after next year.
I keep seeing Vogel suggested over the years. Does he have any ties to Kentucky and what makes anyone think he would leave NBA for college? Not being argumentative I just honestly don’t know.

Id welcome him with open arms but agree he probably isn't the right fit. Still significantly better than Cowl.

I keep seeing Vogel suggested over the years. Does he have any ties to Kentucky and what makes anyone think he would leave NBA for college? Not being argumentative I just honestly don’t know.
He’s a UK grad and was a student manager on one of Pitinos early teams. May have been a graduate assistant too but i’m not sure about that.

Reactions: CatsDomain
In 1994, Vogel transferred to the University of Kentucky. Vogel served as the student manager for the Kentucky Wildcats men's team under head coach Rick Pitino in the 1994–95 season. The following season, Pitino resurrected the school's junior varsity team, and Vogel played for them.[10][11]Vogel graduated from Kentucky with a B.S.in biology in 1998.[1][11]

Mention practically any coach and the go to line for critics is some version of “ What’s he won ? “ . If he wins the National Championship or gets to the final four will he become a viable candidate to ever coach at UK ? Thoughts?
A slightly better Tony Bennett. No.

Reactions: flacat22
He’s a UK grad and was a student manager on one of Pitinos early teams. May have been a graduate assistant too but i’m not sure about that.
Didn’t know that, has he ever hinted at it in interviews or anything? Seems odd to lay hope on a guy who’s never coached in NCAA.

A slightly better Tony Bennett. No.
Painter coaches circles around Cal. He’s a very good coach. Just builds his team classically. He will never leave Purdue IMO especially if he wins a ship. Fans would get to know played again at least and have teams for a couple years.

Last edited:
Didn’t know that, has he ever hinted at it in interviews or anything? Seems odd to lay hope on a guy who’s never coached in NCAA.
Man has won an NBA title. He had a framed Rupp Arena on his office wall while at the Lakers.

I'd have no problem taking a shot on him. He's also 50. Young for basketball.

He'd be in my first three calls.

Painter coaches circles around Cal. He’s a very good coach. Just builds his team classically.
I didn't say he was a bad coach. He's solid on x's and o's. Just don't know how well he'd do at a blue blood. Pressure at Purdue is nothing compared to KU, Duke, etc.

No. Plus he would likely just use Kentucky for a pay raise. He’s a Purdue guy. The success he’s having keeps them happy.

And I dont know how many times other schools have to try and fail by hiring coaches with previous ties to the program before people realize it's not important at all. Patrick Ewing, Mike Woodson, Juwan Howard, Chris Mullin, Kevin Ollie. You do it if it's a slam dunk hire like Jim Harbaugh (and even then he almost got forced out of town) or Roy Williams. But other than that it's a hard pass for me.

There is zero reason to believe a mediocre head coach whose only real success is coaching two generational talents in LeBron and AD in the bubble would have success at the college level. Zero. Don't we already have a coach who people make fun of for needing generational talent to win titles? Do we really want another one of those?

Man has won an NBA title. He had a framed Rupp Arena on his office wall while at the Lakers.

I'd have no problem taking a shot on him. He's also 50. Young for basketball.

He'd be in my first three calls.
Not saying he wouldn’t be a home run, but trying to get a guy who hasn’t been in NCAA ever, seems like a reach.

I didn't say he was a bad coach. He's solid on x's and o's. Just don't know how well he'd do at a blue blood. Pressure at Purdue is nothing compared to KU, Duke, etc.
I think he would do fine, he already plays a brutal schedule and has won his league many times. Look at their record this year, as good as anyone. He’s won the BIg tournaments too.

I think he would do fine, he already plays a brutal schedule and has won his league many times. Look at their record this year, as good as anyone. He’s won the BIg tournaments too.
Unless he seals the deal this year, his NCAAT record is iffy. But this could finally be their year.

Reactions: yoshukai
Don't say that too loud. There's still a couple of Bennett lovers around here.

Painter is not bad but I need to see him win it all before I'd consider him here.
Imagine if Painter could recruit better talent to plug and play when he needed it. He could recruit to his system while getting an elite freshman here and there plus the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT