ADVERTISEMENT

So Let's Talk UNC-Wilmington

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Phew boy, no rest for the Wicked.

This team coming into Rupp is ANOTHER hot shooting team.

They shoot 43% from 3 as a team, which ranks SECOND (#2) in ALL of College Basketball (Kentucky ranks 5th in this category).

They average 85.7 PPG which ranks top-25 in College Basketball as well.

They have 5 players shooting 45% or better from 3FG and 4 players averaging double figures.

The good news is that we're really good, and their rotation somewhat maxes out at 6'7 and shorter.

But I think this is going to be another challenge- could be a St. Joe's level challenge, especially if no Wagner and/or there is a hangover effect from Miami. Maybe not, but we'll see.

Sounds like it will be a fun game! It's been a long time since I've really looked forward to watching UK play this much. I'm ashamed to admit; there were times in the last few years where I forgot we played.
Same here. I have watched more games live this year already than I had in the last couple years and had actually forgotten they were playing at times.

Reactions: azubuikefan
Hopefully we employ the same gameplan as Tuesday. Force them off the three point line.

They try to run with us like Marshall and Miami, they get what Marshall and Miami got.
We showed we can run people off the line against Miami. Wonder why we haven't been doing that in the past, personnel or game plan? Would like to see that against any decent shooting team from the three.

I said it after Miami… all we have to do the rest of the season is force teams to score 2’s instead of 3’s and we won’t lose another game. I’m dead serious. We are that good offensively.

I'm getting some GSW vibes off this team. Tre Mitchell can be our undersized center like Draymond, who creates his own mis match problems.. and then we have a plethora of guards (and reserves) who can just pepper teams from all over the floor. Maybe a little like Baylors title team offense from a few years ago. Just too many great guards, with great ball movement, and all can create their own shot.

I'm starting to believe that maybe the bigs coming back might throw this team off. I certainly want to insert them to see.. but it's possible. That golden state team at its peak just wasn't going to lose much.. and even their losses that year seemed more like throwaway games in an 82 game season.

We showed we can run people off the line against Miami. Wonder why we haven't been doing that in the past, personnel or game plan? Would like to see that against any decent shooting team from the three.
I have to think this is a reflection on adding Welch. We've had trouble Cal's tenure with 3 point shots. Add him and Martin and look at Tuesday

I'm getting some GSW vibes off this team. Tre Mitchell can be our undersized center like Draymond, who creates his own mis match problems.. and then we have a plethora of guards (and reserves) who can just pepper teams from all over the floor. Maybe a little like Baylors title team offense from a few years ago. Just too many great guards, with great ball movement, and all can create their own shot.

I'm starting to believe that maybe the bigs coming back might throw this team off. I certainly want to insert them to see.. but it's possible. That golden state team at its peak just wasn't going to lose much.. and even their losses that year seemed more like throwaway games in an 82 game season.
I have the same concerns since we are as good as anyone in the country now. Adding a big may hurt. However, Bradshaw and Big Z aren't traditional bigs. They are more like 7 foot SF or PF

Good game to introduce Bradshaw. I am skeptical that we learn any basketball from this game. I’d like to see the defense hold them to under 25% shooting from three and under 55 points. I hope this team can get busy on the perimeter against us and get into the passing lanes. This will force us to move even better without the ball and make us attack the rim. We’ll need these skills on nights when jacking threes don’t work.

I'll be on my 6th bar on our annual "Dads Christmas Mall Bar Crawl".

The game thread could get spicy!
7e634143-c171-4d55-a5b4-99f5f50b332b_text.gif

They shoot 43% from 3 as a team, which ranks SECOND (#2) in ALL of College Basketball (Kentucky ranks 5th in this category).

They have 5 players shooting 45% or better from 3FG and 4 players averaging double figures.

The good news is that we're really good, and their rotation somewhat maxes out at 6'7 and shorter.

But I think this is going to be another challenge- could be a St. Joe's level challenge, especially if no Wagner and/or there is a hangover effect from Miami. Maybe not, but we'll see.

I have a KenPom subscription, and I'm seeing UNC Wilmington ranked #77 in 3PT FG%, or are you referring to makes per game?

You aren't wrong about them overall though, they are a good team (current KenPom projected favorite in the CAA).

I really like this game, along with Saint Joe's and Penn, being on our schedule. 3 non-P5 buy games, but all 3 are contenders in their conferences and will have a chance to be in the NCAA Tournament. Playing those 3 games, instead of bottom of the barrel teams, makes a difference in our NET ranking and ultimately our tourney resume, as silly as it may sound to some.

Another thing I like about this matchup: they are ranked #235 in Adj. Tempo. This will be the slowest-paced team we have faced thus far, so it will be interesting to see how we handle that. They also are in the Top 60 in TO%, so they also do a solid job of taking care of the ball.

We are really good on the defensive side of the ball also so just take one game at at time and don't overlook anyone. LIke some of you I am looking forward to see what Bradshaw is going to be like.

I have a KenPom subscription, and I'm seeing UNC Wilmington ranked #77 in 3PT FG%, or are you referring to makes per game?

You aren't wrong about them overall though, they are a good team (current KenPom projected favorite in the CAA).

I was just speaking to their 3FG%. It ranks 2nd in College Basketball. See here: NCAA 3FG % Leaderboard

Interesting. I wonder how in the hell KenPom and the NCAA stat site are so far off. KenPom shows them ranked #77 at 36.5%

Screenshot-2023-11-30-at-11-29-34-AM.png

Haha no idea- their official team website stats also have them at 43.5% (same as the NCAA) so it looks like KenPom is wrong here- first time I've ever seen that haha

Haha no idea- their official team website stats also have them at 43.5% (same as the NCAA) so it looks like KenPom is wrong here- first time I've ever seen that haha

I'll check back occasionally and compare some stats to see what happens. Not going to lie, this gives me some buyers remorse on that year sub now haha.

Either way, #360, #77 or #2, it's a non-P5 at Rupp...they'll shoot lights out.

Who knows though, maybe the new court gets rid of the Rupp opponent shooting blessing.

Their stats may been skewed to the fact the toughest competition they have played is the mighty powerful App St., Murray St, and Florida Gulf Coast.

Their stats may been skewed to the fact the toughest competition they have played is the mighty powerful App St., Murray St, and Florida Gulf Coast.

KenPom does adjust for SOS, so maybe he applies that to individual team stats as well, though that seems kinda bizarre when you talk about percentages.

Bradshaw's length could really help us there if he can play 5-10 min or so.

Bradshaw's length could really help us there if he can play 5-10 min or so.

Hoping for 10-15 from Bradshaw Saturday, then 15-20 for him the NEXT Saturday, then he is full go in the rotation for Armando Bacot and UNC the following week.

And screw it, I am hoping and praying we have Big Z by then also. We will need the length, rebounding and rim protection against that UNC front line.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildcatNC
Good game to introduce Bradshaw. I am skeptical that we learn any basketball from this game. I’d like to see the defense hold them to under 25% shooting from three and under 55 points. I hope this team can get busy on the perimeter against us and get into the passing lanes. This will force us to move even better without the ball and make us attack the rim. We’ll need these skills on nights when jacking threes don’t work.
There not gonna hold to 55, uncw is a good mid major and can score

Depending on the pace of the game, 55 points could be a hard goal to reach, kind of like in the Marshall game

Yep, you nailed it. From what I've read and seen of them, they are very perimeter heavy, not much size, and great shooters. I expect UK to take a similar approach as they did against Miami. I hope they don't take these guys lightly after the big top 10 win. If they do, these guys have to potential to outscore you.

Depending on the pace of the game, 55 points could be a hard goal to reach, kind of like in the Marshall game
It was doable especially in the Marshall game. Marshall had an utterly horrible team. We simply gave up too many open shots. High scoring means more trips up and down the floor. It doesn’t give latitude to stop defending.

Wonder how we compare to the 96 team? That was my favorite team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT