ADVERTISEMENT

Snake bites...

Multiple sources state otherwise.

It's probably only recently, last 50 years or so, that it's been known that they have venom. A professor at SIU Carbondale forced his thumb back to the fangs to see. These snakes are not aggressive and they're not known for biting. He documented what it was like afterward. It's mildly venomous. It's not a copperhead bite.

Just Google Eastern hognose venomous. I have encountered the three main poison snakes in the state and ran up on a hognose. The hognose can scare you because they sound like an air compressor blew a hose.

"Eastern Hog-nosed Snakes are not dangerous to people or pets. They do, however, produce a mild venom that is used for subduing prey. This mild venom is delivered by two enlarged teeth at the back of the upper jaw. However, bites from eastern hog-nosed snakes are extremely rare."

"Hognose snakes' fangs are tiny, they don't produce much venom, and their bites usually don't cause significant symptoms in humans, although occasionally they do. So, while hognose snakes are indeed venomous and can deliver symptomatic bites, they are not dangerous."

Last edited:
It's probably only recently, last 50 years or so, that it's been known that they have venom. A professor at SIU Carbondale forced his thumb back to the fangs to see. These snakes are not aggressive and they're not known for biting. He documented what it was like afterward. It's mildly venomous. It's not a copperhead bite.

Just Google Eastern hognose venomous. I have encountered the three main poison snakes in the state and ran up on a hognose. The hognose can scare you because they sound like a air compressor blew a hose.

"Eastern Hog-nosed Snakes are not dangerous to people or pets. They do, however, produce a mild venom that is used for subduing prey. This mild venom is delivered by two enlarged teeth at the back of the upper jaw. However, bites from eastern hog-nosed snakes are extremely rare."

"Hognose snakes' fangs are tiny, they don't produce much venom, and their bites usually don't cause significant symptoms in humans, although occasionally they do. So, while hognose snakes are indeed venomous and can deliver symptomatic bites, they are not dangerous."

Some of what I've read says the venom doesn't affect humans at all and is highly specific to affecting their prey, which is almost always amphibians.

Some of what I've read says the venom doesn't affect humans at all and is highly specific to affecting their prey, which is almost always amphibians.
The herpetologist at SIU wrote up his post bite symptoms. The response may be based on individual. He got somewhat sick

I did not know the herpetologist but I worked with people that knew him well.

The main thing is they can't really deliver a bite unless you offer a finger up to their fangs.

Here are two case's of a Western hognose.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cia2.12041

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19393681/

Last edited:
Reactions: BeaveUKGT

Just Google Eastern hognose venomous. I have encountered the three main poison snakes in the state and ran up on a hognose. The hognose can scare you because they sound like an air compressor blew a hose.

Guess the main thing is just those 4 in regards to the symptoms humans have to snake bites. Still wouldn't recommend anyone pull a Steve Irwin and play with a eastern hog-nosed snake. Did you ever hear about the dumbass in Florida that kept a water moccasin in his pillow case and tried to kiss it?

I just remembered that garter snakes are also sometimes considered slightly venomous, though certainly not enough to be dangerous to humans. But their bite does hurt - I speak from experience there.

Green River Knob. I guess if you know where that’s at, then you’ve heard it’s pretty thick with rattlers. My dad has been coon hunting all over southern Ky in his day. He’s told some pretty unnerving stories about that area and snakes,

At my previous workplace, a co-worker was outside the building smoking when he noticed a rattlesnake sunning itself on the window sill. On the inside of the building. It was a room being used for storage of old test equipment. We don't know how it got in.

Yes, I ran into a small black timber rattler while walking up a narrow creek in Jefferson memorial forest. That thing was nasty and ornery.
Also ran into a huge timber rattler while hiking in Bernheim forest. (They released a bunch years ago). It was coming out of the tall grass and I almost stepped on it. I have always assumed that unlike Copperheads, a Rattle snake would let you know it was there. Not always true! This thing just laid there and didn't rattle or curl up into strike mode. He just kind of looked at me, like "why are you harshing my mellow man?" I think this thing might have had a big meal and was just trying to get back to it's den. It wasn't until I got a stick and poked at it, that it went into a slight strike pose and rattled a few times. If I can find the pics, I will try to post them. I don't like Copperheads because they blend into the leaf litter far too well.

Live close to state and national parks in CA. Lots of rattlesnakes. I’ve jumped over them running, mtn biking. I’ve hiked and noticed them right beside me etc. Prob come across 20-30 in the past 15 yrs. Never had or heard one actually rattle out here.

Had heard from a Ranger once that the snakes have learned that the ones that rattle end up dead so they’ve evolved to rattle less. Who knows how true. Most likely, it just takes a whole lot to make one feel threatened enough to use it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT