ADVERTISEMENT

Shortage of workers ... semiconductor industry

I truly believe a lot of young people have just given up. It’s too expensive to buy a starter home in a lot of America and a lot of people can’t afford to have kids so the need to work really hard just isn’t there.

Having employment also doesn’t mean you’re a good worker. People have just given up. They’ll leave a job on a whim, quiet quit, etc

In my line of business, entry level pays about $90K. A person who makes manager in six years after that is making $160K+.

Guess what, most of these people aren’t settling down and buying houses. They are blowing cash on expensive dinners and vacations.

I think it’s more cultural. Some of these kids these days don’t want to sacrifice a high end lifestyle to invest and grow a family. They’ll end up paying the piper foe those decisions soon enough.

In my line of business, entry level pays about $90K. A person who makes manager in six years after that is making $160K+.

Guess what, most of these people aren’t settling down and buying houses. They are blowing cash on expensive dinners and vacations.

I think it’s more cultural. Some of these kids these days don’t want to sacrifice a high end lifestyle to invest and grow a family. They’ll end up paying the piper foe those decisions soon enough.
you hiring? I wanna make 90k

There is an incredible amount of money in this country. Good research at a young age to identify the fields and work ethic to excel in them will reward most handsomely.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
This sounds like another cattle call for more H1B workers. That said, the semiconductor industry did this to themselves.

I graduated with dual degrees in EE and CS. I liked EE and wanted to run with that part of my education, but I found that many of the good jobs went overseas, and I couldn't touch a job in EE stateside. Those jobs were dominated by people with 20+ years of experience who were willing to work for peanuts because their jobs had been shipped off, or they wanted to retire soon and didn't want to work so much.

I said screw that industry and went full on CS. So did many other people. Most actually. Decades later they bring the jobs home and there isn't anyone with the knowledge to do the them. Shocker.

They vote cdp...useful idiot morons.

I still work after a Stage IV cancer diagnosis + chemo every 3 weeks.. Feel good. Plan on continuing work for hopefully another 29 months.

At any rate, labor shortages hit nearly all industries, For example, I worked at Conexant/NXP 4.25 years until laid-off summer, 2010. Every quarter, I meet with former semiconductor-industry colleagues for a social. Our summary:

- "M" (64) just laid off from Roku after 7 years with the company. Roku offered him a rather generous buyout. Coupled with unemployment benefits, he's set. He has no plans on returning to work. His wife is covered by insurance through her employer. "M" attended Oktoberfest in Munich last month. Like me, he's ex-Army.

- "J" (66) currently works for Applied Materials. Here's a gent holding an MS EE from Cal Poly + 44 years industry experience, minus an extremely painful 4-year job search between 2014-2018. He told us that although others at his firm have been offered buyouts, he's safe. Reason: no one else can do the job.

- "H" (68) worked at a small engineering firm after layoff from CNXT/NXP in 2011. Has 40+ years industry experience. Every now and again he receives inquiries from prospective employers. No plans on returning unless consulting

3 gents mentioned above possess over 110 combined man-years experience in semiconductor industry. They each worked on critically complex problems involving hardware or software affecting a product in which customer demands resolution yesterday. Knowledge base remains out there, but its graying.
You are a year-round asskicker you sexy beast ;)

Its hard to make sound policy decisions with regard to immigration when the morality police who run the political show insist that we all must do geopolitical penance for historical wrongs committed against various groups by other groups. Do it long enough, and then your dependent on what was a bad idea to begin with...please see southern border. The morality police then get the added benefit of being the practicality police. Term limits and end gerrymandering. Im not sure we can un-eff this mess without major upheaval, however.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT