ADVERTISEMENT

Settle this for me...is Kentucky considered the south or not?

Originally posted by HeismanCatNole85:
This has been a debate by so many of my family and peers due to all of us being from different parts of the state. What's your opinion?
Appalachia mostly IMO. Southern in areas of culture and hospitality. But If pressed I would say most consider it more Mountain folk kind of like West Virginia. Coal and farming are main industries.

Eastern Ky may be appalachian, the central and western end of state are definitely southern.

You won't get it settled here. One of those unanswerable questions. Once you have an opinion it won't change.

I vote yes except for Kenton, Boone and Campbell counties. They are part of Cincy and Midwest.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Bill Derington:

Eastern Ky may be appalachian, the central and western end of state are definitely southern.
Grew up in the western part of the state - if you heard me talk you'd think I was straight up Alabama.

Traced my ancestry recently - no one from Europe that came here got any further North than North Carolina.

If you have to say 'yes' or 'no' to the whole state, then YES Kentucky is Southern.

But Louisville is not southern, it is a mid-western river-city. Same for Covington/Newport area.

Eastern KY is part of appalachia, but that only makes up 1/4 to 1/3 of the state. And appalachia can be considered southern, as it goes into eastern TN, western NC, and even maybe a little of GA & SC.

The Mason Dixon line goes through KY, with more of KY South of it than North of it.

All of the downfalls of being Southern (poor/backwards/uneducated) without any of the perks (large black population that produces good football players).

Reactions: SuporChin
Please don't associate Campbell County with Cincinnati or Ohio.

There's a reason the trees sway north.

Originally posted by TankedCat:

Grew up in the western part of the state - if you heard me talk you'd think I was straight up Alabama.

Traced my ancestry recently - no one from Europe that came here got any further North than North Carolina.
Tanked, aren't you from the same town as the chick in StarTrek and Boston Public (I think same girl whose divorce papers were later unsealed, which scandal pushed her exhusband to the side to allow a little known guy named Obama to run for Senate in Illinois)?

I moved to Louisville from Nashville. First day on the new job, I commented how different the place seemed from Nashville, how that was very southern and it seems very midwestern here. Someone else who started work that day moved from Cincy, and she said she couldn't get over how southern Louisville seemed (she was practically sneering when she said it). Point is, like anything else, it's all relative.....

Kentucky did not fight on the side of the South and thus the other southern states will never consider us part of the "South". However, if you go up north many people consider us part of the "South". In truth, we are really part Mid-west and part Southern. A true border state much like Missouri and Maryland.

I'll just put this here...

3575febcf387ef9cdd2aab2c69b144ea.jpg

Originally posted by wcc31:
Kentucky is Kentucky. We're unique. We're part Southern, part Midwest, part Mountain, part Horse Country.
I agree with this. My father is from Michigan, momma's a Texan......by the time I came along we were in Tennessee......I've lived in Hazard (wife's from Barbourville).

Kentucky is part Southern, part midwestern, part mountain.
-Mountain - The mountain culture has thick southern sounding accents, but the mountain culture is unique and an entity all it's own.

-Midwestern - Especially when you get close to Cincy/Louisville. Fast paced culture.....accents start to fall. What's odd is that midwestern words like "pop" filter down througout the state.....whether in the midwestern portions or the mountain portions.

-Southern - Probably the most southern areas are western KY. Where a "coke" can be anything. But it's important to note that Kentucky really isn't as southern as other states.......Meaning Tennessee culture is closer to Bama/Georgia culture than it is to Kentucky culture.

Louisville is absolutely southern, although it tries to not be. Louisville wants to be Cincinnati or Chicago. It's known for bourbon and horse-racing, so it's definitely southern.

Originally posted by bigblueinsanity:
It's both. That's what makes the culture here so unique: it's where the north meets the south.
Shhh... Some people will never get that concept.

I know when people call Kentucky southern my grandpa gets all upset because he fought for the union. Pisses him straight off.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I've always thought of TN as unique kind of like KY. You go from Memphis ---> Nashville ----> Knoxville. That's diverse. Kind of like KY on a larger scale.

Mid-South is what I call it. Lived in Lou-Lex-NKY my entire life. That triangle has half of the state's population and has plenty of Midwestern influence.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Kentucky is not southern. I've spent time in the south on several occasions. We have some backwards folks but, thank you God, we don't have anything like the knuckle dragging slack-jaws of the true south. If you don't understand what I'm talking about just go spend some time in any southern state, but make sure you stay out of a city and are more than 10 minutes from an interstate. Everyone knocking eastern Ky needs to go see rural Mississippi. Appalachia looks cosmopolitan in comparison.

If you don't think Kentucky is southern that just means you are extremely southern. Ask anyone anywhere outside of the deep south if Kentucky is southern and you get a resounding "yes". Its not even debatable. People in Kentucky speak with a southern accent for christ's sake.

Originally posted by Mojocat:
Originally posted by TankedCat:

Tanked, aren't you from the same town as the chick in StarTrek and Boston Public (I think same girl whose divorce papers were later unsealed, which scandal pushed her exhusband to the side to allow a little known guy named Obama to run for Senate in Illinois)?

I moved to Louisville from Nashville. First day on the new job, I commented how different the place seemed from Nashville, how that was very southern and it seems very midwestern here. Someone else who started work that day moved from Cincy, and she said she couldn't get over how southern Louisville seemed (she was practically sneering when she said it). Point is, like anything else, it's all relative.....
yep I am. I guess so - I've never spent much time in Louisville, but I've spent alot of time in Lexington and Frankfort.

I can tell a Mountain person from a Southerner - Its close but its like Spanish and Portuguese. They don't quite line up.

This post was edited on 1/29 6:23 PM by TankedCat

I can't speak for the rest of KY, but western ky is southern. I've worked and spent slot of time in mid and west tennessee, there is no difference between western ky and them.

Now, go across the Ohio into illinois or Indiana, and there is a resounding difference.

The western part of the state was pro confederacy, many if not all of the state elected officials from this end of the state were removed from office because they were proconfederacy. There's confederate memorials in many counties here, I haven't see any union, there may be some, but I haven't seen them.

Originally posted by Bill Derington:

The western part of the state was pro confederacy, many if not all of the state elected officials from this end of the state were removed from office because they were proconfederacy. There's confederate memorials in many counties here, I haven't see any union, there may be some, but I haven't seen them.
You all rejected the first great evil (Union) but joined up with the second (St. Louis Cardinals).

ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by -LEK-:
I'll just put this here...

ec
The first official flag of the Confederate States of America-called the "Stars and Bars" - originally had seven stars, representing the first seven states that initially formed the Confederacy. As more states joined, more stars were added, until the total was 13 (two stars were added for the divided states of Kentucky and Missouri).

Kentucky's Confederate government (although short-lived) was recognized by the CSA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT