ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: how can we better defend high ball screens?

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
This seems to be a big challenge for us year after year. I guess it is for other teams as it's used so much. So this is an honest question. What is the best/proper/correct/most effective way to defend a high ball screen to avoid wide open threes or really bad mismatches on switches? I wasn't a coach or (much of) a former player (though I was a former h.s. referee in Indiana) so I'm genuinely interested.

We have to communicate and switch better.

Cal likes to switch on all screens. But that predicates on both defenders being able to guard.

Good coaches take advantage of it if you have a weak defender. They set screens against the guy with the weakest defender so that when switches occur the driver has the weak defender. The last 3 seasons it’s been a pick em for the offense because we had 3-4 weak defenders on the court.

That’s going to change with this team. We don’t really have guys you want to switch on

Right now we do because they are still learning.

But a big that guards the pick and roll well is a rarity at all levels.

We haven’t had one since Bam.

Even Shaq says to this day he couldn’t guard the pick and roll.

The big guarding the screener can hedge up and not let the man with the ball be able to use the screen.

Reactions: jmw23712
I saw where Cal was unhappy with Edwards going under the screens, or was it something else? Again, serious question, do you try to go through it, under it, always switch as @UKBB4Ever said? Any other magic bullets? Seems like we don't use it as much as other teams, or maybe I'm just not paying attention as well as I should.

I saw us defend at least a couple well when Bradshaw was in. Might just come down to personnel to some degree.

I saw where Cal was unhappy with Edwards going under the screens, or was it something else? Again, serious question, do you try to go through it, under it, always switch as @UKBB4Ever said? Any other magic bullets? Seems like we don't use it as much as other teams, or maybe I'm just not paying attention as well as I should.
Cal’s preference is to switch all screens.

But guys don’t always. Usually because of not communicating.

But also just because things happen fast. Then a guy just does what he does. Either goes under or over.

That’s where scouting comes into play. And the scout team in practice.

You know who you can go under on.

Sometimes that backfires and the guy the scouting report says you can leave alone goes off.

That happened to us against Kansas this year when that dude hit shots he hadn’t hit before.

Happened for us 2 years ago against Kansas when they let Brooks run free and he made then pay.

Cal’s preference is to switch all screens.

But guys don’t always. Usually because of not communicating.

But also just because things happen fast. Then a guy just does what he does. Either goes under or over.

That’s where scouting comes into play. And the scout team in practice.

You know who you can go under on.

Sometimes that backfires and the guy the scouting report says you can leave alone goes off.

That happened to us against Kansas this year when that dude hit shots he hadn’t hit before.

Happened for us 2 years ago against Kansas when they let Brooks run free and he made then pay.
Thanks, seriously. I appreciate the information...always learning.

This seems to be a big challenge for us year after year. I guess it is for other teams as it's used so much. So this is an honest question. What is the best/proper/correct/most effective way to defend a high ball screen to avoid wide open threes or really bad mismatches on switches? I wasn't a coach or (much of) a former player (though I was a former h.s. referee in Indiana) so I'm genuinely interested.
Get a new coach

Hard hedge at least some of the time. We did defend Davis better those last 2 or 3 possessions. Wasn't a hard hedge but at least a hedge.

Reactions: bigbluelou
If you are expecting the onball defender to chase the ball handler over the screen (which I think is a good strategy if the guy is a shooter), then it comes down to other guys rotating.

There was a play last night where I think Dillingham was in the ball, and either Bradshaw or Ugo were guarding the screener.

Dilly went over the screen, and the screening big rolled to the basket. The defending big rolled with him as the ball handler drove down the right side of the lane. Thiero could’ve rotated over to pick up the drive, and that would’ve allowed Dilly to immediately run to the corner to cover Thiero’s man who would’ve been available for the spot up three in the corner. Instead, he didn’t commit to guarding either spot, and I think the play resulted in either a layup or maybe a foul on Thiero.

So, I think it really should just be a 3 man game. I’m not absolutely sure the onball defender (Dilly in this case) can make it to the corner, but I think he could if he is immediately running straight there as soon as he gets around the screen. It would at least allow the help defender Thiero to not be lost in no man’s land trying to both help on the drive AND cover the corner three.

1. Bacot did get two first fouls on high ball screen….but he was doing his football blocking in second half and no calls
2. Cal is a switch it kind of philosophy…and I think Bradshaw csn stick a Pg on pick and switch action.

3. I’d love to see more sets we blitz the balls handling guard with a strong trap and leave a Ugo/thiero/mitcchell to defend the rim and rotate off the lesser shooters

But high ball screen is a hard to defend with a great guard and big man …Murray and Jokic have terrorized the NBA for a while with this action….and when you have shooter on the wing….its hard to deal with

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT