ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Rankings: (5/4)

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
If the current scores hold true (Florida up 6-1 on Alabama in 6th, Arkansas up 7-1 on Ole Miss)

1. Florida (18-6)
2. Ole Miss (15-9)
3. Miss. State (14-10)
4. Vanderbilt (14-10)
5. LSU (13-10-1)
6. South Carolina (13-11)
7. Alabama (13-11)
8. Texas A&M (12-12)
9. Arkansas (11-13)
10. Tennessee (10-14)
11. Kentucky (10-14) (Here only because UT owns tiebreaker)
12. Georgia (9-14-1)
13. Auburn (9-15)
14. Missouri (6-18)

Georgia took the series from South Carolina giving them life. But for the tie game against LSU they might be as high as 10th.

The Miss. State sweep of Auburn helped to move them from 7th last night to 3rd today.

This is going to be one crazy race to the end of the season. Kentucky has to take care of business or they might find themselves staying home again.

UK needs to find a way to scratch out 4-5 wins over the last two SEC series. Will be a really disappointing end to this season after a good bit of hyping of the team and a dominant season from AJ.

Need to take 2 of 3 vs Auburn this weekend, and win over Murray St. and then win at least 1 down at UGA. I really have no idea how this team will respond. They have a Bipolar look about them right now that is baffling to watch !!
Strange that the past 2 weeks we have not had a mid-week game, we had 2 games cancelled, NKU and Dayton earlier in the season, I wonder why there is no make up especially with NKU being so close to Lexington.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Need to take 2 of 3 vs Auburn this weekend, and win over Murray St. and then win at least 1 down at UGA. I really have no idea how this team will respond. They have a Bipolar look about them right now that is baffling to watch !!
Strange that the past 2 weeks we have not had a mid-week game, we had 2 games cancelled, NKU and Dayton earlier in the season, I wonder why there is no make up especially with NKU being so close to Lexington.
I think we need to win both series and possible sweep one to be sure of getting to Hoover...If we don't make it there then we have no shot of getting to the ncaa tourney...if we can make it there our rpi and sos should help us get to the tourney...

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:
I think we need to win both series and possible sweep one to be sure of getting to Hoover...If we don't make it there then we have no shot of getting to the ncaa tourney...if we can make it there our rpi and sos should help us get to the tourney...
I don't think that we need a sweep to make the SEC tournament. Top 12 make it and we play the two teams behind us. We should, at worst, probably just need to win one of those series.

Georgia has to play Ole Miss next week so it is unlikely that they take that series. Let's say they win 1 of 3 and then take 2 of 3 against us. That gives them a final record of 12-17-1. The bad part here is that Georgia has a tie against LSU so if we both finish with 12 wins then they would be ahead of us. So we would likely need to win 3 games to stay ahead of them.

Auburn plays LSU in the last weekend. So, they don't have it easy either. I doubt LSU loses anything but 1 game to Auburn. So that gives them 10-17. That would mean that we just have to take 1 win against them to be ahead of them.

So, ideally we take at least 2 of 3 from Auburn and at least 1 from Georgia. I think that would likely put us ahead of both Auburn and Georgia.

Tennessee plays at Mississippi State and at home vs. Florida. So they have a tough row to hoe. I only see them getting 1 game in each of those at best. So, that would give them a record of 12-18. If we just win half the remaining SEC games then we can move ahead of Tennessee and be 10th in the league.

It is possible we move ahead of either Arkansas or Texas A&M but it isn't likely. TAMU and Arky play each other next and then TAMU plays Ole Miss while Arky plays Missouri. So, best case scenario for us would be for TAMU to go 1 for 6 in the last two series. That would give them a record of 13-17, and we would hold the tiebreaker over them. It is possible to move ahead of Arkansas but I don't see them only winning 1 or 2 remaining games.

At this point, I think we have to get very lucky to get into the NCAA tournament. Last year only 9 SEC teams made the tournament and I don't think that will change this year. So, that means that we have to get some help from either TAMU or Arkansas to get into 9th place. Not going to be easy, and I don't have much faith.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:

I don't think that we need a sweep to make the SEC tournament. Top 12 make it and we play the two teams behind us. We should, at worst, probably just need to win one of those series.

Georgia has to play Ole Miss next week so it is unlikely that they take that series. Let's say they win 1 of 3 and then take 2 of 3 against us. That gives them a final record of 12-17-1. The bad part here is that Georgia has a tie against LSU so if we both finish with 12 wins then they would be ahead of us. So we would likely need to win 3 games to stay ahead of them.

Auburn plays LSU in the last weekend. So, they don't have it easy either. I doubt LSU loses anything but 1 game to Auburn. So that gives them 10-17. That would mean that we just have to take 1 win against them to be ahead of them.

So, ideally we take at least 2 of 3 from Auburn and at least 1 from Georgia. I think that would likely put us ahead of both Auburn and Georgia.

Tennessee plays at Mississippi State and at home vs. Florida. So they have a tough row to hoe. I only see them getting 1 game in each of those at best. So, that would give them a record of 12-18. If we just win half the remaining SEC games then we can move ahead of Tennessee and be 10th in the league.

It is possible we move ahead of either Arkansas or Texas A&M but it isn't likely. TAMU and Arky play each other next and then TAMU plays Ole Miss while Arky plays Missouri. So, best case scenario for us would be for TAMU to go 1 for 6 in the last two series. That would give them a record of 13-17, and we would hold the tiebreaker over them. It is possible to move ahead of Arkansas but I don't see them only winning 1 or 2 remaining games.

At this point, I think we have to get very lucky to get into the NCAA tournament. Last year only 9 SEC teams made the tournament and I don't think that will change this year. So, that means that we have to get some help from either TAMU or Arkansas to get into 9th place. Not going to be easy, and I don't have much faith.
Guess we shall see...I still think our high rpi and sos makes us a strong candidate...especially if we can win a couple in Hoover...

Our RPI as of today 5-5-14 is at number 15, and our strength of schedule is at number 2. Pretty impressive even though we are struggling. If we finish at 4-3 in our last 7 games, that would put our final record at 32-22.

ossible, but the SEC is tough this year. I dint know what the selection committee will use as their measuring stick, but I just don't see them adding us if we're 10th or higher in our own conference. They may take our schedule and rpi into account but we have dune bad losses to counter the good. Hard to say but I dint line how we've fished in the past so I dint see us doing enough work for us to get in.

I believe that UK must win 4 of their last 6 and then parley at least 2 wins in the SEC tournament to get an NCAA bid.
UK is 10-10 vs the Top 25 in this week's poll so that should help the resume'.

This team has hurt itself by losing to the bottom teams in the league plus they had the series and lost a good lead in both the ninth and tenth innings against Alabama...
This post was edited on 5/6 10:15 PM by sluggercatfan

Another thing that may help us, other than our good RPI, and outstanding SOS, is one A J Reed, quite possibly the best all around player in the country. A lot of folks would like a chance to see him play.
I could see us, with a good finish, being a 3 or 4 seed in a Northern or Midwestern regional somewhere. Getting 5 or 6 more wins in the regular season and SEC tourney is a must !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT