ADVERTISEMENT

Roster

May 5, 2006
Guess there will be no revolt by the boosters and Pope is our next coach 🙄

This was Cal’s roster, and like all his rosters you have to assume and the end of every season, no one is returning. This includes Sheppard. Pope isn’t bringing any players with him that will make us compete for a final four immediately. He won’t have the magic wand that Cal had when he first got here to make us competitive immediately. I’m seeing Billy G 2.0 without the alcohol!

What’s next years roster look like?

This was Cal’s roster, and like all his rosters you have to assume and the end of every season, no one is returning. This includes Sheppard. Pope isn’t bringing any players with him that will make us compete for a final four immediately. He won’t have the magic wand that Cal had when he first got here to make us competitive immediately. I’m seeing Billy G 2.0 without the alcohol!

Dear lord please say you didn't expect any incoming coach to compete for a final four next season when we were looking like we would be lucky to have 2 guys return.

No one coming in would be looking at a Final Four next year. lol

Reactions: AGEE11
Right coach, right players… yes a final four wouldn’t be off the table. Hurley won b2b with different rosters. We are UK, we expect champions, this new generation fan base that has been brain washed by cal has to be retrained to not accept mediocrity!

Here goes we gotta go get ‘em

Sheppard
Perry
Big Z
Burks
Blackmon(Stetson)
Omoruyi(Rutgers)
Mitchell (Duke) or Avila (Ind St)
Storr (Wisc)
Freeman(Milwaukee)
Tyson(Belmont)
Perkins (Iowa)

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
I think you gotta get 6'7 Jaxson Robinson to come with Pope off the BYU roster. He's their best player and transferred in from Arkansas (A&M before that). He would be a super senior.

Pope has a few bigs from Africa in Traore (Mali), Khalifa (Egypt), and Atiki (Tanzania) that were all rotation players and will be seniors. Gotta get them. Traore is a big guy, something we could have used last year. If not them, I'd like to get Zed Key from OSU. He is a solid big man and in the portal.

With Mohammed's son, Sir (6'5) coming into college, maybe we can get him to decommit from Notre Dame.

Another possibility is 6'2 Marques Warrick from NKU, a Lexington native. Also Dontaie Allen could return.

Ivisic would fit in really well in Pope's offense. You have to think Mitchell from Duke would be a nice get or Aidoo from Tennessee, with the NIL money.

Sheppard
Perry
Big Z
Burks
Blackmon(Stetson)
Omoruyi(Rutgers)
Storr (Wisc)
Freeman(Milwaukee)
Tyson(Belmont)
Perkins (Iowa)
That team competes. Bit of a pipe dream, but we already heard there is $4 million in the fund

Reactions: AbbieLex
I think what’s so important to note is the amount and depth of good players in the portal.

PT, UK brand, NIL will get capable players here even if they aren’t the names we’re currently talking about.

I’d assume multiple BYU players and Perry get him started.

Sheppard
Perry
Big Z
Burks
Blackmon(Stetson)
Omoruyi(Rutgers)
Storr (Wisc)
Freeman(Milwaukee)
Tyson(Belmont)
Perkins (Iowa)
I just don't think Avila can defend at our level.

But I could see the following as a strong group:
G: Sheppard (fingers crossed), Fland (he should be called after Reed), Perry, Hart, a portal guy like Johnell Davis or Blackmon

I do think Mitchell (Duke) would fit in quite well with Pope's playing style. As might Tyson (Belmont)
I think Pope needs to work hard on returning Theiro and Z as well.

Omoruyi who we all like, may not fit well with Pope's style. But now that he has entered the portal, I might like Aidou better. But also Raynauld (7'1 french shooter from Stanford) would be a good fit.

And then there are other good players in the portal like Freeman, Mack, Townsend, Stojakovic, Wolf.
So F & C group of: Z, Aidou, Theiro, Tyson, Burks maybe even Mitchell

Compete for a final four next year? What? Is that what you expected in the first year?

Right coach, right players… yes a final four wouldn’t be off the table. Hurley won b2b with different rosters. We are UK, we expect champions, this new generation fan base that has been brain washed by cal has to be retrained to not accept mediocrity!
And Hurley also had a losing record his first season at UConn.

I’m not unrealistic like most. We have won only 8 championships we and no one can win every year.
I want to be competitive and I can’t wait to have a team that returns players year after year

If we’re sticking with nostalgia, I believe Jamal Mashburn, Jr. is in the portal.

I know Liam McMeeley did not look particularly great in the McDonalds AA game, but that kid (uncommitted) would look great in Pope's offense. Time to sell him, open the new shiny blue NIL wallet, and have him pick out his bunk in the Wildcat Coal Lodge. Would be extra nice to laugh at IU-Bloomington while doing it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT