ADVERTISEMENT

robey or phillips

Feb 16, 2022
in a follow up to ferd turgensons ? who is the toughest 5.
somebody said robey. that got me thinking 'who was tougher robey or phillips?'
not the best but toughest. that was my 1st uk team as a child. and maybe my favorite

Robey tended to throw his weight around more with the lower body than Mike. Not an answer in re to toughness, but Robey's game was more "physical".
Both were great and were there during my college period 74-78. I had both Jack Givens and Mike Phillips in two of my Sophmore classes. Jack made every class when he was not out of town with the team. Mike Phillips would only show up for tests.

Both were great and were there during my college period 74-78. I had both Jack Givens and Mike Phillips in two of my Sophmore classes. Jack made every class when he was not out of town with the team. Mike Phillips would only show up for tests.
wasnyt there some story about phillips was supposed to run everyday from other side of lexington and he would get his gf just to pick him up and drop him off around the corner?

Robey was the 4, Phillips was the 5. Both were grown men
Yeah, but both played like 5s ...especially as the game is known today.

In terms of style of play, that was essentially a two center lineup. The one that was a bit more mobile and skilled we just called a forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricat2
29PHILLIPS-OBIT-articleLarge.jpg
Both

wasnyt there some story about phillips was supposed to run everyday from other side of lexington and he would get his gf just to pick him up and drop him off around the corner?
Not that I remember, but, maybe some of our other friends can offer some input.

Reactions: electricat2
Only one got Dean Smith to curse at him.
Dean said he would never cuss. He said he smoked and drank but his mother wouldn't speak to him again if he cursed, but she must've not said anything about those damned ol' A fake ass, AFAM college courses. So that was okay.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT