ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

Horrible. Just terrible. I'm unsure if our great land ever recovers from such tragedy. We can't take much more.

* Sigh *. G'nite, sweet prince.

669.jpg

A true rock 'n roll pioneer. He didn't give two shits about anything except playing that piano. Unique talent. Had some great records and was, reportedly an absolute "Killer" onstage in his prime, hence the nickname.

Love the story about arguing with Chuck Berry who would go on last at a show. Jerry finally relented. His last number, 'Great Balls of Fire', he set the piano on fire and walked off saying, 'Let's see any SOB follow that!'. Hendrix didn't have nuthin' on the Killer.

I may be mistaken, but wasn’t it common back then and that setting for women to marry really young? I agree the “cousin” part is creepy, but I wonder if marrying that young was an outlier.
I'm going to venture to say that no, it wasn't commonplace to be 22 and marry a 13 year old in the late 1950's, esp. if it's your child cousin that your marrying. It was 65 years ago, not The Middle Ages or Game of Thrones. If it was commonplace, then some of our older posters who like screaming about pedos all the time here have some explaining to do.

I'm going to venture to say that no, it wasn't commonplace to be 22 and marry a 13 year old in the late 1950's, esp. if it's your child cousin that your marrying. It was 65 years ago, not The Middle Ages or Game of Thrones. If it was commonplace, then some of our older posters who like screaming about pedos all the time here have some explaining to do.
Jerry paid a huge price in public opinion over it. Can't link, but I read a story years ago about it. Before the story broke, JL was drawing ten thou dollars a show (that's more than Elvis was drawing at the time) and had all the work he wanted. After it came out, he couldn't find work.

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT