ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond, KY: "‘Horrifying’ mistake to take organs from a living person was averted, witnesses say"

Meh. No big deal. Back when I was in college, I knew a guy who went to a party with a bunch of med school students, and then woke up in a bathtub full of ice with a note in front of him saying to call 911 immediately. One of his kidneys had been taken.

Last edited:
I’m not saying that a hospital will kill you to get your organs, but if people were familiar with the ins and outs of the process they would be far less comfortable with it

Reactions: J_Dee
The institution of medicine completely failed the patient. Over the years, patient outcome keeps getting pushed further down the list of priorities. The most shocking thing about this incident is the level of detail getting out.

Think about how often we see stories of people getting the wrong organ or side of the body operated or treated. Consider the news stories and settlements where we find out a medical implant or medication, previously approved by the fda, is actually killing people. Oh well here is a few dollars in this class action as our way of saying sorry we killed you or your loved one.

It isnt the fault of the hardworking people doing their very best in a very physically and emotionally challenging profession. In fact the practitioners are as skilled as ever with the most advanced tools in history. Instead It's the fault of big pharma, medicine/hospitals, and medical schools all conspiring together to get filthy rich while sacrificing their workers and especially patient outcome.

Anyone who hasn't had the misfortune of dealing with the medical industry in this country is going to be in for a rude awakening, or a quick death, when they do. The nurses are by and large good, hard working, folks who try their best, but the doctors. Holy crap.

And if you do manage to find a good private doctor they will have zero to little input once you are in a hospital. Thanks Obama. Then you are at the mercy of hospitalists who will rotate out every week or two. Then it becomes luck of the draw with the odds favoring the house.

Kentucky also ranks fairly low on hospital grades anyway.

All I can say is, don't get sick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT