ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatching UT vs FL

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
With the same amount of time on campus working with his receivers, right now Mertz looks like he's WELL in sync with ALL of his receivers. Great timing and placement leading his receivers on the slants and downfield, even if there's not a lot of zip on the sideline routes. Hard to believe where we are at with Leary and our WRs right now along the same time frame.

Watching UT implode is weird. They've got playmakers. They've got talent. Just really not finishing plays in the swamp. Their DB BUMPED into Etienne on his way to the endzone and didn't even think about trying to tackle him when he did so. Wth... Freakin bizarre

With the same amount of time on campus working with his receivers, right now Mertz looks like he's WELL in sync with ALL of his receivers. Great timing and placement leading his receivers on the slants and downfield, even if there's not a lot of zip on the sideline routes. Hard to believe where we are at with Leary and our WRs right now along the same time frame.

Watching UT implode is weird. They've got playmakers. They've got talent. Just really not finishing plays in the swamp. Their DB BUMPED into Etienne on his way to the endzone and didn't even think about trying to tackle him when he did so. Wth... Freakin bizarre
UT will play like the ‘75 Steelers v Kentucky

Losing the coach to south Florida has changed that offense majorly. That and the lack of receivers has it looking pedestrian at best.

Reactions: Girthang
Losing the coach to south Florida has changed that offense majorly. That and the lack of receivers has it looking pedestrian at best.

Hadn't followed that and had no idea. Thanks for the info

Side note- mid 2nd quarter of this game I SAW a sasquatch or nessie ... not quite sure what it was.... but the officials ($€C OFFICIALS) call a blatant hold on a UT O lineman like they've NEVER called against one of OUR SEC opponents in at least 5 years of football. Lineman is behind the DL who has a clear shot at the QB if not for the arm around the DLs neck. They CAN ACTUALLY CALL THAT CALL!!!
MFers been sandbaggin this WHOLE TIME!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
This is a hard call

Florida is not a good offensive team to me..yet Tennessee gives up 26 and Florida didn’t try to score in fourth qtr

Tennessee is a high flying offense but they lost a ton of kids. And Heupel has never coached a well run defense. They really just try to play fast and create TOs......but they tackle like crap and don't run a disciplined unit.

But Heupel was worse every year following Scott frost as UCF. Maybe his system is gimmicky and isn’t able to replicate

Last edited:
This is a hard call

Florida is not a good offensive team to me..yet Tennessee gives up 26 and Florida didn’t try to score in fourth qtr

Tennessee is a high flying offense but they lost a ton of kids.

But Heupel was worse every year following Scott frost as UCF. Maybe his system is gimmicky and isn’t able to replicate

It is.

Maybe Florida isn't as bad as we thought. Maybe UT isn't as good.
We still better get our execution better immediately or sooner, or we won't be in the game

I do like our team and our chances if we get things cleaned up. Very encouraged by our use of the TEs and Leary's play in general.

It is.

We still better get our execution better immediately or sooner, or we won't be in the game

I do like our team and our chances if we get things cleaned up. Very encouraged by our use of the TEs and Leary's play in general.
Yep, Leary is avg nearly 300 yds passing a gm and nearly 3 TDs and only 1 int a game.

Yeah I know, sub par comp but its his 1st three games at a new school in a new system as well so….
Lets see what happens!

Chumlee runs the O, the previous OC who took the USF HC job was a figurehead. While the guy is well thought of he had little to no input at TN, that's why he was so anxious to leave.

The think that is surprising to me about the vols is they weren't snapping the ball at the breakneck pace they did last year, at least it didn't appear that way to me. That's the big advantage of Chumlee's offense. It has simple route trees, good HS teams run a more complex passing game. UF was able to control the vol rushing attack with 5-6 in the box. Chumlee has yet to make an adjustment when defenses are having success against him. The game wasn't as close as the score.

The think that is surprising to me about the vols is they weren't snapping the ball at the breakneck pace they did last year, at least it didn't appear that way to me. That's the big advantage of Chumlee's offense. It has simple route trees, good HS teams run a more complex passing game. UF was able to control the vol rushing attack with 5-6 in the box. Chumlee has yet to make an adjustment when defenses are having success against him. The game wasn't as close as the score.

FFS... I knew they looked different, but for the life of me, forgot completely about the UT tempo last year. Totally missed the change. Thanks Grumpy. I was so focused on the actual play call and formations that I never looked at the tempo

Chumlee runs the O, the previous OC who took the USF HC job was a figurehead. While the guy is well thought of he had little to no input at TN, that's why he was so anxious to leave.

That’s the narrative they certainly want people to believe. Based on watching the offense I’m not sure it’s the truth. Looks completely different.

Mertz isn't coming off a major pectoral surgery, but I get your point. Mertz went from looking like absolute dog poo against Utah, to looking like a world beater against the Vols.

The consensus seems to be that Cooper Mays is really important to their tempo. When he doesn't play, their tempo goes WAY down.

Here's my take after watching the game and in reading the UT and UF insiders that I follow:

-Heupel regressed at UCF after a great start. Has never been a great recruiter. Not one of the offensive linemen that he has recruited is starting at UT right now. Pressure for him to use the portal going forward.

-UT defense was supposed to be better but they looked awful against UF.

-UF lined up and ran the ball down their throats. I don't see them doing that against us. Mertz will have to throw the ball on the road in Lexington.

-Keep in mind that the UF we see may not be the UF we saw last weekend (they'll look worse) and the UT we see will not be the UT we saw on saturday (they'll be much better). Some teams just have another team's number. For now, we play UF well. Even in losses, Stoops has played them well. We play terribly against UT for nearly 40 years. Until we show up and play well against them, I won't believe it.

Agree Mertz looks much better now but that first game against Utah he looked completely lost, so there's hope!

We do look out of sinc on a lot of our routes and its surprising as they had plenty of time in the offseason to get that down and from all accounts and comments from Leary and the WR it was magic. What happened since then?

I saw the same thing on the UT DB pulling an matador Ole' on that run. Especially on the replay it looked like that guy was point shaving, who does that?

Florida looked awesome in the first half and then had to hold on so I wouldn't be all in on the Gators offense. They were at about 45 total yards for the 2nd half with about 6 minutes left in the game. They have UT's number as much as UT has ours, so who knows? They barely lost in Knoxville last year when we dominated them the week before and of course, our game against Tennessee wasn't even competitive.

It is.

Glad we have Vandy this week. A step up from the first three opponents, but still the kind of team we SHOULD beat handily. Will be a good litmus test and hopefully not a trap game. the revenge factor keeps it from being that I hope. THis past game was cleaner than the first two, We left at least a couple of scores on the field though with the Dingle fumble being the most obvious, so that game wasn't even as close as it appeared. little better reducing the number of penalties. Dingles fumble was bad, but he was in the process of making one hell of a play, so I'll give him a break on it.

I saw most of what I wanted to see against Akron, a game that was never really in doubt, better defensive execution, and came away feeling better overall. I think the kids will rise to the occasion when the level of opponent is stronger. At least that's my hope. THere's nobody on our schedule that isn't beatable if we bring our A-Game.

Reactions: The-Hack
Glad we have Vandy this week. A step up from the first three opponents, but still the kind of team we SHOULD beat handily. Will be a good litmus test and hopefully not a trap game. the revenge factor keeps it from being that I hope. THis past game was cleaner than the first two, We left at least a couple of scores on the field though with the Dingle fumble being the most obvious, so that game wasn't even as close as it appeared. little better reducing the number of penalties. Dingles fumble was bad, but he was in the process of making one hell of a play, so I'll give him a break on it.

I saw most of what I wanted to see against Akron, a game that was never really in doubt, better defensive execution, and came away feeling better overall. I think the kids will rise to the occasion when the level of opponent is stronger. At least that's my hope. THere's nobody on our schedule that isn't beatable if we bring our A-Game.
Yeah, I get it re Dingle. But the long TD pass to A. Brown called back by holding could be a killer vs a SEC team. Got to fix that nonsense.

Florida looked awesome in the first half and then had to hold on so I wouldn't be all in on the Gators offense. They were at about 45 total yards for the 2nd half with about 6 minutes left in the game. They have UT's number as much as UT has ours, so who knows? They barely lost in Knoxville last year when we dominated them the week before and of course, our game against Tennessee wasn't even competitive.

I don't see where ANYONE here is "all in on the Gators".... lol

Glad we have Vandy this week. A step up from the first three opponents, but still the kind of team we SHOULD beat handily.

Could, not should. They are not the pushover UK fans think they are. They are an SEC team whether anyone likes it or not, and can beat SEC teams. We have to treat them like we're playing Florida, execute, and not let up at any point.

Will be a good litmus test and hopefully not a trap game. the revenge factor keeps it from being that I hope. THis past game was cleaner than the first two, We left at least a couple of scores on the field though with the Dingle fumble being the most obvious, so that game wasn't even as close as it appeared. little better reducing the number of penalties. Dingles fumble was bad, but he was in the process of making one hell of a play, so I'll give him a break on it.

Agreed. He'll learn to go to a knee when that happens next time.

I can't wait to see what our real D looks like. We've not revealed ANYthing near what we'll run the rest of the season, imo. Hope we can see the pressure and the execution we didn't see against the 1st three opponents. We let some plays get away from us that shouldn't. We were in position or made the right defensive call but whiffed on a few tackles and let people get outside of contain.

Agreed on that last sentence. Giving 100% from snap to whistle for 60min and it's possible.

Yeah, I get it re Dingle. But the long TD pass to A. Brown called back by holding could be a killer vs a SEC team. Got to fix that nonsense.

That was both frustrating and complete bullsht. Didn't affect the play and was overlooked the other way all game. Hope the officials get their sht together before the next game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT