ADVERTISEMENT

Reminiscing... (#1)

Apr 24, 2022
Cal's quote about Alex Poythress' injury (2014-2015)

"One of the things that happened during our 2014-2015 season is Alex Poythress suffered a devastating injury...I got a call that night that he had torn his ACL...was our 'beast'...an athlete capable of taking over a game with his extreme athleticism...beloved teammate..." ("Success is the Only Option" Calipari and Sokolove 118).

Remember this happening and how sad it was, another Cal Era missed opportunity for sure (even though injuries are part of the game).

The Poythress injury sucked, to be sure, but our inability to guard Wisconsin had more to do with Cal’s insistence on switching. When you are athletically superior at literally every position, you shouldn’t have to switch. It’s a lazy way to play defense. Stay with your man, fight through screens, make the offense beat you off the dribble (spoiler: they can’t. They’re a bunch of slow, plodding, lutefisk-eating cheeseheads.)

Y
The Poythress injury sucked, to be sure, but our inability to guard Wisconsin had more to do with Cal’s insistence on switching. When you are athletically superior at literally every position, you shouldn’t have to switch. It’s a lazy way to play defense. Stay with your man, fight through screens, make the offense beat you off the dribble (spoiler: they can’t. They’re a bunch of slow, plodding, lutefisk-eating cheeseheads.)
Yea , the announcers kept bragging on Willies ability to switch on to the point guard, meanwhile Dekker was down low making us his bitch .
And most times we didn’t even switch because of a hard pick, we just did it …because. Cals “switch everything “ basically allowed Bo Ryan to choose whatever matchup he wanted. It was an epic coaching mismatch.

Cal's quote about Alex Poythress' injury (2014-2015)

"One of the things that happened during our 2014-2015 season is Alex Poythress suffered a devastating injury...I got a call that night that he had torn his ACL...was our 'beast'...an athlete capable of taking over a game with his extreme athleticism...beloved teammate..." ("Success is the Only Option" Calipari and Sokolove 118).

Remember this happening and how sad it was, another Cal Era missed opportunity for sure (even though injuries are part of the game).
Alex’s stats were only slightly worse than Willys in this game however.

Reactions: wardlow
Y

Yea , the announcers kept bragging on Willies ability to switch on to the point guard, meanwhile Dekker was down low making us his bitch .
And most times we didn’t even switch because of a hard pick, we just did it …because. Cals “switch everything “ basically allowed Bo Ryan to choose whatever matchup he wanted. It was an epic coaching mismatch.
How many FF’s for the whining ass Bo? How many titles?

That may have hurt. But Willy’s injury in 2014 was actually the life saver that team needed to make the deep run.
I don’t know. I think him in the paint would have made those little 12’ runners/floaters a bit more challenging for UConn

How many FF’s for the whining ass Bo? How many titles?
Yeah . Because he’s had the same talent to work with as Calipari. lol. Look , I never said I wanted Ryan as my coach or that I even liked his coaching. Honestly, I can’t stand the guy . But he embarrassed Calipari that game . He evidently neutered him too since Cal is 26-33 against ranked teams with zero final fours and losses to a Bruce Weber coached Kstate team, an Auburn team missing one of their best players, and ST PETE ! since that game ,lol.

Last edited:
we had too many games in the mid 60's with that team, especially for the sheer amount of talent. you can't win a title playing that way. too much grind it out bs, and then you're relying too heavily on a couple possessions that could go either way.

we had too many games in the mid 60's with that team, especially for the sheer amount of talent. you can't win a title playing that way. too much grind it out bs, and then you're relying too heavily on a couple possessions that could go either way.
Don't forget we went from 88-26 wins to 66-62 wins. Cal slowed that team way down.

Reactions: BrickandMortar
Craziest Alex Poythress stat:

4 20 point games in his first 5 games at UK
5 20 point games the rest of his UK career

He looked like Jamal Mashburn part 2 through those first 5 games. There was serious #1 pick talk. I think once teams got scouting footage on him they realized he wasn’t a threat with the ball and that was the end of that.

I think we won that one...
A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C81dIUNVLXEL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UX679_.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT