ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit and Develop??

CRZ4UK

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 16, 2021
During these Dog days of July I get bored. Just for fun, I went to research some UL transfer stats. I had heard they were top 5 in building their roster through the portal two years straight. What I found surprised me a tad. I had a belief that we were a recruit and develop program. Not so fast my friend.
I looked at the projected depth charts for this season of both teams. The 2 deep on offense and defense. Here are the numbers.

UL.
Projected 2 deep starters. Recruited players 17
Transfer players. 27
UK.
Projected 2 deep starters. Recruited players 24
Transfer players 20
While we still have more recruited impact players, I was surprised at the number of transfer contributors. One number that skews this a little is we are taking more guys with multi year eligibility. UL is only getting the one year mercenaries. We have still built a lot of our roster through the portal. Another skew may be where the transfers come from. Are they coming up from G5 or are they at Power 5 programs stuck behind an NFL draft pick? Vandagriff, Story, Johnson and the corner from Michigan all qualify as those. We also have lineman coming from Florida, NC, and other SEC schools. While I was surprised at the numbers , the comparison of quality of player against UL is dramatic. When you see all the charts soon about UL having the number 2 transfer class keep that in mind. It’s only based on sheer numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News