ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers for Scott Drew and Family

wfc7

Senior
Mar 24, 2007
If we believe Matt Jones on his Twitter Cast, Coach Drew was at the top of Mitch’s list for quite some time. Having said that, I think it’s wise to bring up a point that’s been made about the head coach position at UK. UK Basketball is bigger than the head coach. Yet, it’s also bigger than the AD too.

Consequently, I’m praying tonight that Coach Drew and his family discern what is best for them in prayer. Maybe that will include not rushing into a decision if one isn’t clear, regardless of Mitch’s deadline. I also hope they will be praying for UK and all of our fans that the best coach be chosen for who we are and what we need too. And if that need (not want) is best met by Coach Drew, I’m on board. And if it’s not, and someone else is discerned to be a better fit for the program, I trust Coach Drew and his family will discern that too. I’d even pray they would communicate that to Mitch, if they feel so led.

Perhaps Coach Drew, in this process, can model something for Mitch Barnhart and all of us regarding the spirit of unity, patience, and humility when it comes to leading the basketball program as UK’s head coach and as UK’s AD. A basketball program, especially one like Kentucky’s, is bigger not only than the head coach, it’s bigger than the AD too.

Last edited:
For anyone who doesn’t agree with a post about prayer in relation to the head coach position at UK, I’d say:

1) That’s fine. I agree that God isn’t most concerned about the success of UK Basketball per wins and losses. Yet, God is concerned about leadership that impacts young people and families and their future. So, praying for leaders and families involved with and impacted by UK basketball, if you are so inclined, is appropriate.

2) Coach Drew and his family are devout and faithful Christians. They are praying about this opportunity and have publicly said so. I guarantee you people like Chip and Joanna Gaines are too. Chip said as much in response to BBN fans today on X.

3) If we can spend so much time and effort sharing our opinions regarding the serious nature of UK Basketball, and the importance for it to maintain a gold standard, maybe we can pray that it also not become an idol, or be removed as one if it’s become one. May it be what is needed, not wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT