ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***** Postgame Press Conference: UK vs. UGA *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY

KENTUCKY HC MARK STOOPS Q&A:

* Really proud of the way we fought and competed, especially coming off what happened seven days ago. Gotta give a shout-out to the fans for the great support. We picked ourselves off the mat and played the No. 1 team in the country toe-to-toe. No flukes. No gimmicks. You can't trick a really good team like that. You have to man up and make plays when you need to, and give UGA credit, they did that. We're way past moral victories here, but I like how we represented ourselves and our school today. One day that ball will bounce the right way and give us a chance to cap it off.

* I know people will question the 4th down decision. I don't regret punting that ball. I felt like if we get stopped there, our offense has to go the length of the field in a predictable pass situation. What I don't like about that situation is we gave up the one big play on the sail route. That will haunt me for a long time.

* On taking no shots in the end zone at the end of the first half, Stoops says he thinks the numbers are something like 20-something passes in the red zone completed against their defense in the last three years. The risk of getting sacked and out of FG range was too high.

* Our team was embarrassed by the way that we played last week, and rightfully so.

* Backs ran really hard tonight. Says a lot about them.

* We won't feel very good tomorrow, but at least I know a little more about my team now and the way they'll fight and respond.

* 23 first downs against Georgia is hard to do, but we needed to finish one of those drives off with a touchdown.

* BVG played like we would expect him to. Thought we had a good plan for him and gave him a good opportunity. A few plays that were left out there where Georgia made a great play. That's why they're No. 1. Gotta give credit to them.

* On Alex Raynor's FGs... Very reliable. That's why I'd love to have him out there with a shot at the end. So steady. Calm demeanor.

* Our guys have to realize it takes this kind of commitment to have a chance. They're going to be hurting Monday (physically) but we've got to get those pads back on and get back to work.

* On why UK defense seems to get up for games at home against Georgia... Not sure, but that's a really efficient offense, and it's really hard to do that. You just gotta go play football. Coach White did a nice job of mixing things up.

* Zion Childress had a nice game. A really good feel for the game. He's learned from some of his mistakes earlier this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.